Undergraduate Medicine (1 Viewer)

johnno123

HSC
N/A
Hi

Just wondering, is it a must to do at least 2 sciences (chemistry, physics or biology) for HSC to be eligible to apply for undergrad med at UWS or UNSW? Or is there any bridging courses available, etc?

Thanks

addybrah

HSC
No, you don't need to do any sciences at all to get into UNSW/UWS Med. You can do pure humanities subjects and still apply, as long as you get the required ATAR it doesn't matter too much.
I know UNSW recommends students to have done Chemistry and 3u maths (in their course info booklet) but again; only a recommendation - you don't have to do them to get in.
There are bridging courses available from the uni, I think they're usually held around January/before uni starts.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
if you dont do chem/bio/physics in high school and want to do medicine, boy you're gonna have a bad time.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
if you dont do chem/bio/physics in high school and want to do medicine, boy you're gonna have a bad time.
not necessarily

I did chem which has limited application to medicine as it's taught. I didn't do biology at all but most of it was covered anyway by the first few weeks of first sem.

You don't need any science pre-requisites for Medicine at UNSw and UWS

Flop21

HSC
not necessarily

I did chem which has limited application to medicine as it's taught. I didn't do biology at all but most of it was covered anyway by the first few weeks of first sem.

You don't need any science pre-requisites for Medicine at UNSw and UWS
Makes sense. I suppose that's why biology is always only recommended in medicine courses - because they go through it anyway at university.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Makes sense. I suppose that's why biology is always only recommended in medicine courses - because they go through it anyway at university.
like it could help with u getting a grasp of things a lot quicker in first sem and maybe second sem, but beyond that it makes no real difference

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Lol a friend of mine didnt do any sciences and is smashing med. Another just did chem and is also smashing med.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Also gonna disagree with this, might help slightly but can defs be done (and smashed) with no science background

Generally if you're able to achieve the marks to get in (regardless of subject) you're capable of processing the science content in med

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)