Uni and Failing (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You don't fail the course you fail individual subjects. I think you're talking about drop out rates, and yes, law has a very high drop out rate.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Policing seemed to have a pretty high drop out rate as well. We went from 115 to about 60 in one session.

o_O

Leanne

HSC
i think it sux when ppl drop out.....cos like someone may have desperately wanted a spot in that course at that uni....and they WOULD have stuck it out....but didnt get in...

whilst someone who gets in decides that they cant handle it and woose out!! Go figure!!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Unfortunately, you don't always know what "drop out" rates are for sure...for example....

If someone transferred from one degree under their school to another, did it count as a drop out?

If someone transferred from one degree under their faculty to another, did it count as a drop out?

Did the "drop outs" not continue their studies elsewhere?

Apparently most studies who looked at this issue don't say much about some of these questions.

T

tactic

i think the highest is actuarial(sp) studies, I was talking to a guy who is in his last year and there are not many people that make it through at all

Toby

hmm..
that's great to hear...
... for a future student...

anyways, on a brighter note, I heard from the lecturer that its not because of the difficulty of the degree (to some extent), but a lot of people transfer because they find it boring or are interested in another field (and transfer)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah in my degree, a lot of ppl "dropped out" but actually just transferred to other courses, rather than dropping out of uni all together. however i have had a few friends that did drop out alltogether.
Most ppl drop out coz its boring or coz its not what they expected, rather than the work being too hard.
And they dont give you very long to try it out befor you drop it, you only get 3 weeks to decide whether or not the course is for you before you gan get out without paying HECS, i'm a "give it a go - it might get better" type person, so i was stuck in after march 31st coz it would have been stupid to drop out after then coz i would have had to pay.

DangSta

my brother has just completed actuarialstudies/applied finance at macquarie.... he says around a half of the students remain while the other half probably drop out or took another course which may be simliar or only decided to just study "applied finance" instead.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Engineering would have a pretty high drop-out rate too I'd imagine. Low cutoffs and a mathematically intense course (eg: civil engineering is high 70s at Syd and UNSW I think).

santaslayer

HSC
and also computer/software enginerring tends to have large amounts of people dropping out coz of the difficulty

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Data by the govt (DEST) includes "drop outs" as people that transfer.

I went from Commerce to a Com/Eco this yr; therefore under UC DEST will add another drop out for the commerce course, but in reality, I didn't really drop out.

BTW The University of Sunshine Coast has the highest "drop out" rate in Aust .

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
hey can you get kicked ut of uni for failing to much? or can they just "highly reccomend" that you leave? and if they can how many subjects would you have to fail?

santaslayer

HSC
at UOW if u fail half the cps worth of subz ur doing u can get kicked out for a year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)