• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni Attendance Patterns (1 Viewer)

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
Hi,
I was just wondering what exactly does part/full time study for uni consist of ? the amount of hours/days you have to put in a week, etc. I'm thinking of changing my pref's after just getting my uai and attendance is probably one of those things ive gota seriously think about, with flexibility and all . Also one more thing what do the majority of ppl choose? Any other info you'd like to share is appreciated.

thx

Demandred

HSC
Part time generally consists of 2 units per semester, where as full time is 4 units per semester. The amount of work load really depends on the course you're doing, a typical arts or business unit would have 1 lecture and 1 tutorial per week, you're suppose to put 2 hours for every hour spent at university, a lecture lasts about 2 hours and 1 hour for the tutorial, full time study is 4 units, so 4 x 3 = 12 hours, 2 x 12 = 24 hours, 24 + 12 = 36 hours. Only a model student would follow that, of course, you would have people doing a lot more and a lot less, I know a person who attended uni 6 hours a week and put in just as less at home and ended up with a credit average. Keep in mind that your marks is heavily correlated with the amount of proper study you put in. I know that for law, mediciene and science type coureses will certainly have a heavier workload as they are relatively harder and contain more classes. Also add in some time for assignments.

The hours spent at uni are quite flexible, there should be at least half dozen tutorial classes to choose from (depends on the amount of people in the unit). Lecture times may not be that negotiable, but it really depends on the amount of people, I know Macq has a few lectures a week for its statistics and accounting units. Lectures are generally not compulsory, many choose not to attend as some are recorded and placed on the internet (i-lectures) or (and) notes are available from the internet as well. A wonderful thing if you have a really boring lecturer who reads word for word off the notes. But check just in case, I know one of my unit lectures were compulsory, but I just wrote my name on the roll and left 10 seconds after. So if you're lucky, you can cram the days spent at uni to 2-3 days.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
lol i havent read the post above me (too long, too lazy) =P
how many hrs you put in depends on the course it self.
from what i hear science students have 20something hrs whlist business is <15hrs P/wk. it really depends on the course.

HSC
N/A
It will change dramatically depending on what course and Uni you do. As a general rule, the humanities/social sciences subjects do far less units, however they have long written assessments as well, which balances it all out.

NB: I'm a full-time B of Creative Arts student at Macquarie University. We create our own timetables, therefore we have optimum flexibility - however some courses do NOT have flexibility, or they'll clash (and this happens everywhere) and you just have to work around this as best you can.

Last year I averaged about 11 hours/3 days a week, 2006 will be even funner (if that's possible). Semester 1 has 12hrs/4days a week, and Semester 2 has EIGHT HOURS AND TWO DAYS A WEEK! <-- however this is a bit rare, and only doable because all of my semester 2 courses are worth 4cp instead of 3.

Of course, the downside to humanities/social science units is that they tend to have fewer lecture/tutorial options... but a good number of people still get lucky :)

gerhard

HSC
glitterfairy said:
however they have long written assessments as well, which balances it all out.
:rolleyes:

science/engo kids get the short end of the stick, no two ways about it. humanities subjects generally have more of their assessment based around a couple of essays, while science kids generally have really heavy (80%) final exams

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Full-time - 4 subjects
Part-time - 2 subjects

In my experience so far weekly hours for full-time can range from 10hrs/week to 20hrs/week but I know it can be even more for some courses/subjects.

HSC
N/A
gerhard said:

science/engo kids get the short end of the stick, no two ways about it. humanities subjects generally have more of their assessment based around a couple of essays, while science kids generally have really heavy (80%) final exams
Although in my opinion the science subjects are more "academicy". You basically always have a right or wrong answer, you know how to get the answer, etc etc.

An essay might be "easy", but forming your own thesis and then having to support this - all the while having NO idea whether you're on the right track or not - is still pretty hard. I see humanities as being really thought-provoking - it's hard because there's no "right" answer, or "right" way, and you spend a lot of your time nursing a headache because you've been thinking so hard about an essay topic.

But other than that, yes, I would say we've got the good end of the stick ;) That being said I happen to be better at writing essays than trying to solve alegebraic problems of any sort - maybe I'd be saying the opposite if it was the other way around.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
20 hrs near worse for full time sounds mangeable, i rekon.

What do u all think of a full-time double degree like B commerce/arts, would it have a heavier attendance pattern than say a single full-time degree?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I don't think it would have a greatly increased ateendance pattern as the degree is probably going to be stretched over 5 years rather than the standard 3 or 4. You should be fine :)

Demandred

HSC
taco man said:
20 hrs near worse for full time sounds mangeable, i rekon.

What do u all think of a full-time double degree like B commerce/arts, would it have a heavier attendance pattern than say a single full-time degree?
Nearly all degrees are 4 unit/semester full time or 2 unit/semester part-time.

Crazy Fingers!

HSC
So if im gonna be at uni for around 20 hours a week, how many days will this be spread over?

Do you guys have stuff to attend on the weekends or do you get them off like HS?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
It all depends on the timetable.

This year in the Autumn session I had around 10 - 12 hours and it was spread over 4 days. In the Spring session I had 18 - 20 hours and it was spread over 4 days aswell. But some days I only had to go for a couple of hours.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
For me every week is the same. Timetables only change each session. But sometimes there might not be lectures or tutorials on for a particular subject for whatever reason.

HSC
N/A
Crazy Fingers! said:
So if im gonna be at uni for around 20 hours a week, how many days will this be spread over?

Do you guys have stuff to attend on the weekends or do you get them off like HS?
20 hours is pretty big, you'll basically be there the entire week, particularly if you go to somewhere like USYD where they "make" your timetable for you.

And I'm not aware of any uni classes (undergrad, that is) held on weekends. Yes, you should get them off :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gerhard said:

I prefer final exams cause I'm lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)