Uni Entry System about to Collapse (SMH) - (re: UNSW) (1 Viewer)

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
vnblueberry said:
but i believe it is a determiner if you deserve to be in it or not. if you worked hard in yr 12, you should get the course you want. i understand if the student might not be 'suited' best for his/her course, but thats the way i always perceived from the HSC. study hard, get the required uai, get in your course, no questions asked, no reason for you not to get it.

however, everyone's posts are as valid as mine.
just inputting my two cents
So basically what you're saying is that anyone with a lower UAI does not deserve their place in university? That really isn't true.

There's a lot of "shoulds" in there, you're not taking into account that sometimes it's not as easy as just studying hard, getting a great UAI and getting into your course. There are many factors that could determine why someone might not get the UAI they need but it doesn't mean they dont deserve to get into uni.

Its a good thing that uni's are taking that into account and looking for other ways to give people that opportunity. I got a really, reallyy low UAI, do I not deserve to be there? :S

Whichever way I see it, some people are always going to disagree with whatever system universities use - you can't please everyone.

Sorry if that's not the way you meant it and i've gone off on a complete tangent :eek:

jdcb4

HSC
vnblueberry said:
but i believe it is a determiner if you deserve to be in it or not. if you worked hard in yr 12, you should get the course you want. i understand if the student might not be 'suited' best for his/her course, but thats the way i always perceived from the HSC. study hard, get the required uai, get in your course, no questions asked, no reason for you not to get it.

however, everyone's posts are as valid as mine.
just inputting my two cents
Giving spots to people who worked hard in Yr 12 rather than people who will be good at them makes no sense.

wytcpl

HSC
Raginsheep said:
How about everyone just think of it this way:

The cutoff is 95.10. Get it and your in.

Otherwise, UNSW chucks the losers into hat and picks out the remaining. Is UNSW under any obligation to offer those remaining places? No. Its fuking charity ok.

UNSW should just give the remainder to the international students next time. Then at least we get some decent amounts of cash and we can always deport them if they get annoying.
Fuck i love this guy.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
[SMH]

But there is a wider debate we need to have. Students are being disadvantaged by a school system geared to achieving the highest possible UAI, rather than one that encourages students to select the HSC subjects that will equip them for their career choice. Universities are increasingly finding this is not delivering the right outcomes for the students, industry or the community as a whole.

Students talk about not wanting to "waste" their UAI. They apply for courses they expect their UAI will enable them to enter, rather than courses they are interested in or have an aptitude for. Many factors are at play here, including parental expectations and public pressure.
Exactly.

HSC
If you don't want to waste your UAI and if youre good enough and if you can get a scholarship or cadetship or something...That's what my mate did, he only needed 83 and got 99.6 plus scholarships.

phrred

HSC
hes right, its been happening for years except the media has only really blown it up this year. I had a friend in my yr at USYD get 70 for a 78 cutoff and he was allowed in, another got 94 n got into BSc Adv at USYD which was 96.**

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Professor Richard Henry said:
But there is a wider debate we need to have. Students are being disadvantaged by a school system geared to achieving the highest possible UAI, rather than one that encourages students to select the HSC subjects that will equip them for their career choice. Universities are increasingly finding this is not delivering the right outcomes for the students, industry or the community as a whole.

Students talk about not wanting to "waste" their UAI. They apply for courses they expect their UAI will enable them to enter, rather than courses they are interested in or have an aptitude for. Many factors are at play here, including parental expectations and public pressure.

The media plays a role in this: coverage of the HSC has increasingly become a grand "competition" with schools ranked according to high UAIs achieved.
Quoted for truth.

If the media stopped sensationalising the most trivial of things, then perhaps HSC candidates would have less stress. Select subjects *they* want to select, choose courses *they* want to choose, and so on and so forth.

brack777

HSC
But shorely this year must have had an extraordinary increase in people being excepted below their cut offs, as I’ve seen in my yr. It's not that I detest people getting in with lower UAI's, it's just the deception in which we were lead to believe that the UAI was the be and end all if you didn't do things like interviews etc. If I had known there was such liberal lee way then perhaps I would have chosen subjects such as law which seemed impossible at the time with a UAI of 94.85.

stephenchow

HSC
It was already established many many posts ago that no one was misinformed and that people failed to read what was said in the UAC guide.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Iruka said:
Yeah, I think it is unfair, too, that HSC students weren't better informed. I think that the demand for places overall has fallen in most parts of Australia this year, that's why so many people are getting in thru "other pathways." Maybe you could still lodge an application in the later round, though.
The information was there, just the bulk of students chose not to chase after it.

HSC
Why does it matter how misleading or otherwise it is? It's up to the unis to set their standards and up to the students to strive to go the course they want to.

When you place your preferences in you should be, as the name suggests put down the course you want to do in the order that you want to do them in, regardless of UAI. If people got 92 UAI with awesome maths and english marks (that wouldve got them into the commerce@unsw course, even if they didnt get the UAI) but changed their preference because they thought the cutoff was too high or whatever and they miss out that's their own fault.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
YBK said:
wow, people should stop complaining, you make yourselves sound like whining idiots. What's so great about the UAI system anyway? How is someone who did subjects such as art, history or geography and managed to scrape a UAI of 93 more worthy than someone who did 4u maths and only managed an 89 UAI to study commerce? You do realise there is so much rote learning in the HSC and for problem solving (a huge aspect of commerce) the 4U maths course is one of the only HSC subjects that aids in problem solving and distinguishes those who rote learn to those who think.
You do realise that both the 93UAI and 89UAI kents should both not be doing comm at unsw if the uni had been as strict with their cut offs as usyd?

And to score 93 doing va, history and geography is definitely much more difficult than scoring 89 with 4u maths (assuming your abilities were equal for all these subjects). 4U maths students have crazy ass scaling but what the cunt, you really scored 91uai with 4u maths?

It's true many humanities subjectscan be rote learnt but if you wanted to score a high band 5/band 6 you'd need to clearly understand how different pieces of information interact thus using your analytical abilities. 4U maths is problem solving but as long as you do your homework each day you can do well, as the formulae are all there. Commerce has just as much to do with humanities subjects, go figure.

Wow guybegays should stop cumstaining, they make themselves sound like whining idiots.

shinji said:
i think this last years 3u exam also calls for this? haha.
as it was different from previous exams.

and i appluad for unsw for being non-conformists and doin stuff their own way! =]
Stop trying to find ways to reinforce the idea that you 'deserve' the place at unsw. UNSW has decided to take people up to 10 uai points lower, it had nothing to do with your personal situation or merit.

Bookie said:
i actually wrote a blog. but decided posting it there because of all the racial, sexual, societal, stupid people vilification that would be associated with it and the resulting ramifications.

so as an aside, heres what would have been on my blog [and hence the boredofstudies front page]
Bravo, seriously bravo.

MoonlightSonata said:
The university is most qualified to select people whom they think will be most fitting to their courses and they should have every right to do so. So in my opinion it is a much more sensible system for "next best" candidates.
It's like all those people who do 4U maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, etc and go and do law. They often are not suited to the course at all, are not interested in it, and those with lower UAIs who are more suited, more passionate or more set on pursuing a career in law miss out.

stazi said:
Not necessarily. English Advanced tests written English skills. There are many great businessmen (or women) of our time who may not have the best written ability. However, they have fantastic verbal skills. Communication in business relies more on being able to verbally communicate properly. Whether or not someone can critique a Shakespearean tragedy wouldn't be something that I, as an employer, look for in an employee
I can communicate verbally well but written expression is my forte. Argh commlol :/

YBK said:
Some people REALLY need to learn how to read.
Some people REALLY need to suck less wang.

§eraphim said:
Prediction: More shit actuaries to come out of UNSW.
Yeah like whybegay.

ybk said:
So what if you are not told of the alternate way of getting into the course! Besides, if you insisted to do commerce, then you must have a liking for maths at least. If you did not chose to do maths in year 11 and 12, it's your fault and I think even if you get a 99.95 uai, you still should not be accepted into accounting. Maths is the basis for everything. If you chose not to do maths, then you are clearly an arts person and shouldn't even consider a career related to maths. It just does not make sense.

I have no idea how your logic allows you to insist that UNSW is wrong in what it did, maybe the uni is just trying to screen out stubborn people like you.
No not everyone who does commerce has to like or be good at maths. Stazi has already posted in this thread about his successes and he never did senior high maths.

Black and white thinking mate. If you don't do maths that doesn't automatically qualify you as an arts student. Comm majors such as marketing, IB, management, political econ et al (i'm sure stas covered this) are very humanities-orientated unlike your well-actuary-you-must-be-homofag major.

You don't make sense. You won't make any cents /lol. You're actually very narrow-minded in how you look at comm and you are peering at the discipline through a first year's pin hole view.

Gain some experience in uni comm first and learn that sec c and sweet as pi is not everything.

sarevok

HSC
ybk said:
Besides, if you insisted to do commerce, then you must have a liking for maths at least. If you did not chose to do maths in year 11 and 12, it's your fault and I think even if you get a 99.95 uai, you still should not be accepted into accounting.
err...there's really not very much maths in accounting. i hate maths and got a pretty crap mark in 2u ( in fact i wish i hadnt done maths in my hsc) and have never had less than a distinction in an acct subject and placed in top 20 in state in hsc business studies...i think i am pretty good at 'commercey' related stuff. there is more to commerce than maths.

eppingMCE

HSC
Mate, If u have to do good in 4unit maths and english that pretty much covers most of ur units anyway, and ur pretty certained to get a good UAI so who cares about the 10 marks, its there for ppl who missed out by abit from unrelated courses such as computer studies and stuff which does not even reflect ur potential in commerce.

RTTTYTR

HSC
stazi said:
Assumed knowledge is not required knowledge. Who really knows what they'll do in year 10?
I did, and I doubt that I am alone.

stazi said:
Not all commerce majors are about maths.
True, and those that are seemingly about maths don't require a great deal of HSC mathematical knowledge.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)