Uni students pay dearly for cutbacks (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

Uni students pay dearly for cutbacks
By Aban Contractor (SMH)
September 16, 2003

"At least 1350 government-funded places will be cut by NSW universities next year - pushing up entry scores for all courses - in a bid to avoid new Howard Government penalties for over-enrolling students. "

Here's the rest of the article:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/15/1063624980612.html

What do we all think?

Sammmmmuel

what the fuck that article really pisses me off :mad1: what the hell is the government doing? dumb asses... who can we blame for this?

pri

HSC
N/A
I think courses likes arts and science will be hit the most

D_E_A

Stuff dat

Fuckin government. those dumbass cant tell the diffrerence between their heads and their asses and all they can do is to cut us students off....seriously...FUCK THOSE FUCKERS :chainsaw:

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's fair. Over-enrolling students doesn't do much for the unis it is, so why not have the 'correct' number and have adequate resources for those students?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
It's fair. Over-enrolling students doesn't do much for the unis it is, so why not have the 'correct' number and have adequate resources for those students?
na but what makes the uni's only able to provide adequate resources for fewer number of students....THE GOVERNMENT!!!:p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Re: Nelson lets in 12,000 more at uni

Originally posted by taketheredone
news from The Australian.....

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,7290703%5E601,00.html

Edit: I don't know whats going on anymore :(
Ok, from what I can gather. The Gov't is bringing in penalities for Universities which over enrol students into courses. This means that instead of the X number of spots that should be available, unis are offering X + 200 spots, and these extra 200 spots (in UOW's case) will be cut by the uni so it doesn't incur penalties from the government.

Significantly for vice-chancellors, who had urged Education Minister Brendan Nelson to reconsider penalties for over-enrolling students, Dr Nelson has agreed to increase the leeway for meeting enrolment targets from 2 per cent to 5 per cent an extra 12,000 students nationwide.
What the Education Minister is doing is actually increasing the number of legitimate spots by 12,000 nationwide, so in effect, there will not be a big change as Universities will have to cut university spots from over-enrollment but to combat this, extra legitimate spots will be offered.

The Government isn't all bad. :D

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, so is it going to be easier to get into uni or harder :confused:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say harder..
with UAI cutoffs increasing every year as it is

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
FUCKEN Howard, now everyone will FLOCK to UTS since they aint cutting back spots

and Macquarie is at risk with 900 places to be cut

DAMN, fucken Howard

is a roflcopter
HSC
the libs have always wanted a two tiered system
i have no complaints i guess
i just hope i will be in a position so that i can afford fee paying for my kids :D

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
The libs don't want a two tired system....

Have you actually ever read policy documents.....or are you just going to jump to unsubstantiated assertions.

The liberals have a user pays philosophy, that doesn't mean that they have this desire to create an underclass, or undermine the objective of equity. No government ever would, you wouldn't get elected otherwise.
Exaclty. Would you prefer to pay for things as-you-need-them, or pay to support everybody?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)