Not open for further replies.

-Ewen-

HSC
Re: The Official Union Board Elections 2007 Thread

withoutaface said:
Is there a new honi out? :/
http://www.src.usyd.edu.au/PDFS/Honi2007/707.pdf

its an election issue

PS: whats being on the SRC like, do you get the opportunity to get anything done and how hard was it to be elected?

PSS: You talked at my noon lecture today and it was pretty lacking. Ruicher did a much better job. You sounded rushed and dull and when you started off "I'm Justin Simon and I want....." it made it sound like you were a child listing christmas presents.

My feedback would be to substanciate* (*spelling) what your saying a bit more, instead of a list perhaps talk more generally and then focus more specificly on one or two things.

PSSS: Whats the name of the guy you were with?

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

-Ewen- said:
http://www.src.usyd.edu.au/PDFS/Honi2007/707.pdf

its an election issue

PS: whats being on the SRC like, do you get the opportunity to get anything done and how hard was it to be elected?
Not really, and not very.
PSS: You talked at my noon lecture today and it was pretty lacking. Ruicher did a much better job. You sounded rushed and dull and when you started off "I'm Justin Simon and I want....." it made it sound like you were a child listing christmas presents.
I'll have to talk with my campaign manager about it, you're right though.
My feedback would be to substanciate* (*spelling) what your saying a bit more, instead of a list perhaps talk more generally and then focus more specificly on one or two things.
Yeah I would, and my original speech did allow for that, but it took up about 2 mins and was likely to kill off any attention.
PSSS: Whats the name of the guy you were with?
Ben.

adgala

HSC

i like phil thai's odds in honi.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

why are so many people going to vote for ruchir. he's an international student. wtf.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

why are so many people voting for ruchir. he's an international student. wtf.
for the lulz
When a system is absolutely shit it's usually good to point this out by voting for the absolutely worst person of the bunch... democratic theory 101 man.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
for the lulz
When a system is absolutely shit it's usually good to point this out by voting for the absolutely worst person of the bunch... democratic theory 101 man.
I am pretty sure that would be Phil Thai.

Someone that isn't a Trotskyist should write for Honi, it's basically leftist toss written by a cacophony of the worst people in the world. They should do something serious; stop having the Queer Council and that fag communist from the SRC write ever week, someone should tell them no one gives a flying fuck.

And if they want a "better future and rights at work" do something more practical then their worthless BA in gender studies.

Last edited:

amazerxl

HSC

jb_nc said:
why are so many people going to vote for ruchir. he's an international student. wtf.
i didnt want to post again but couldnt help it. why is an international student any lesser than a normal student? how does that change anything?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

i didnt want to post again but couldnt help it. why is an international student any lesser than a normal student? how does that change anything?
Well see students are human beings, some human beings are greater than others, therefore some students are greater than others.

amazerxl

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
Well see students are human beings, some human beings are greater than others, therefore some students are greater than others.
so are you saying that local students are better than international students? wow, you surprise me.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

amazerxl said:
why didnt you respond to anything I said? like all the stuff proving you wrong...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

amazerxl said:
so are you saying that local students are better than international students? wow, you surprise me.
Well not really, i'm actually saying local human beings are a better species than international ones... the rest just follows logically, if you get my drift?

THIS IS SARCASM!!! PEOPLE WHO CAN STRING SENTENCES TOGETHER ARE NOT USUALLY THIS RACIST SO OVERTLY!!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC

wtf is with dynamite dave's first policy: timetables before o-week.

...well done. you don't know how the union works.

Vote Stas.

amazerxl

HSC

stazi said:
why didnt you respond to anything I said? like all the stuff proving you wrong...
i felt like i was prolonging the debate and making it worse for ruchir. i am probably wrong with the rose implementing radio thing, but i am pretty sure i am right with the 99 dollar plan thing being brought in by member services or general manager and president. operations manager could have played a role but the way i heard it in the forum it was the brain child of the other two.

with the radio being an expensive operation, why don't u give the guy a chance. and i'm sure the union won't spend any money on it till it is implemented if he's willing to do all the research anyway(and if it works - it can be great). its like having cost-price beer which no one tends to argue about and sounds attractive but still wont be any good for the union. i dont know how easily it can be implemented, the other suggestion as well, but when someone wants to give it a try im someone who'd encourage him and that applies to justin.

i know everyone loves justin simon here and i feel sorry that they bagged him out so much in honi but i read his leaflet the other day and it spoke about markets at manning(rose's last years policy) and enviro friendly union(ruchir's policy).. no one tends to point that out.

ive made it clear where my vote is going, but people, dont just make it biased for the sake of it. stazi, if you feel you can argue well and have great ideas, you should have run.. you would have probably done really well.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

i had a funny campaign prepared :( however, i didnt end up running as i found out that i'd need to be in office for 2 years. all my dreams ruined by time.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

with the radio being an expensive operation, why don't u give the guy a chance. and i'm sure the union won't spend any money on it till it is implemented if he's willing to do all the research anyway(and if it works - it can be great).
But there is a whole society dedicated to investigating ways to deliver radio on campus, and they've determined it's infeasible.
its like having cost-price beer which no one tends to argue about and sounds attractive but still wont be any good for the union. i dont know how easily it can be implemented, the other suggestion as well, but when someone wants to give it a try im someone who'd encourage him and that applies to justin.
The Union is a not for profit member based organisation, and so as a basic principle should not be earning income from selling food to people who have paid good money to become members.
i know everyone loves justin simon here and i feel sorry that they bagged him out so much in honi but i read his leaflet the other day and it spoke about markets at manning(rose's last years policy) and enviro friendly union(ruchir's policy).. no one tends to point that out.
So does this mean that Ruchir can't promise a fiscally responsible Union because I have dibs on this broad concept by virtue of some of my policies alluding to it? You can't stand up and say "i bags the environmentally friendly union policy", because it's not just a policy, it's an overall approach which has many different ways of being implemented, and I'm fairly sure the ways Ruchir has proposed differ significantly from mine.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

withoutaface said:
The Union is a not for profit member based organisation, and so as a basic principle should not be earning income from selling food to people who have paid good money to become members.
I have to disagree with you here. A small margin still needs to be made. The Union can't possibly sustain itself if it doesn't make a profit of foods and drinks (one of its principle revenue-makers). All not-for profit businesses make a profit (or go bankrupt)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

stazi said:
I have to disagree with you here. A small margin still needs to be made. The Union can't possibly sustain itself if it doesn't make a profit of foods and drinks (one of its principle revenue-makers). All not-for profit businesses make a profit (or go bankrupt)
They can make money from ACCESS card sales, and from selling services to non-members, but my view is that they're not "member based" if they're turning around and charging members who pay $99 to join more for their beer than they would pay at somewhere like Bar Broadway just down the road.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I agree that prices need to be reduced, but selling at cost won't get you anywhere. I think more reasonable pricing would be (for example):
Packaged sandwiches (currently $4 for Access holders): $3.50
Water (currently $1.80): $1.50 [cost is around $1.20 from recollection]

A sustainable union in terms of external service provision can't be achieved overnight: it would take years. For this reason, you won't be able to simply put all the prices down to cost without the union becoming extinct. You also have to factor in storage costs, staffing costs, building costs, etc.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

stazi said:
I agree that prices need to be reduced, but selling at cost won't get you anywhere. I think more reasonable pricing would be (for example):
Packaged sandwiches (currently $4 for Access holders): $3.50
Water (currently $1.80): $1.50 [cost is around $1.20 from recollection]

A sustainable union in terms of external service provision can't be achieved overnight: it would take years. For this reason, you won't be able to simply put all the prices down to cost without the union becoming extinct. You also have to factor in storage costs, staffing costs, building costs, etc.
That's what I meant by cost price, so the Union's covering the cost of the products plus staff and building etc costs. I agree it's not an immediate thing, and rapid change often unsettles delicate situations, but this should be the direction in which it is headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)