Union Board Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lecture bashed megan's lecture.

"Hi, my name's Justin and I'm an alcoholic..."

Spoke for myself for about a minute, then added "oh, you should also vote Sash."

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I was lucky to make that lecture, I missed my train (on purpose) because it only had 4 carriages and I really don't know the people well enough to be that intimate with them.

Courtney (i think that's her name) lecture bashed my english lecture but her use of gestures put me way off.

kokodamonkey

HSC
nice. Lecture bashing went well today. Except i got stopped during one because the lecturer felt i was being unethical because all the other candidates wern't there to speak too.. i was like well they are probably at other lectures!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Tomorrow? I have work but I can get Sasha onto it if you like...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
townie said:
mwahaha, honours hasnt been bashed yet
That's because most of the lectures we'll be doing are first and second year courses with >100 people...

IceRealm

HSC
kokodamonkey said:
nice. Lecture bashing went well today. Except i got stopped during one because the lecturer felt i was being unethical because all the other candidates wern't there to speak too.. i was like well they are probably at other lectures!
Was this a micro economics lecture with Pablo? if it was, lol @ how you tried to argue something about demand and supply

Other than that, I've only had one other lecture where a candidate's come in and campaigned. I'm another clueless first year, probably won't be voting

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
withoutaface said:
That's because most of the lectures we'll be doing are first and second year courses with >100 people...
we have 80...not that i want to encourage the practice, i'm enjoying the bliss. I hate lecture bashing, no matter who it's from

kokodamonkey

HSC
IceRealm said:
Was this a micro economics lecture with Pablo? if it was, lol @ how you tried to argue something about demand and supply

Other than that, I've only had one other lecture where a candidate's come in and campaigned. I'm another clueless first year, probably won't be voting
lol yup i was like there is a supply of lecture bashers and a demand of people here to see me. atleast some people were like aww when i walked out. But yeah that was the 2:00 one i dont want to be confused with the lecture bashers at his other lecture apparantly there was a fight or something.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
hi guys :wave:

i am a total noob about the union board elections

so can someone give me an overview of what it is about.
USU runs most student services, cafes, bars, clubs and societies, blah blah blah. It's run by a permanent staff, but they also have a board made out of students as a sop to student representation. Half the board is elected each year. Almost all the candidates are hacks from one political party or another, although they try to obscure this because it would drive turnout even lower than it already is. Most are from the labor left (which you'll see referred to as the labor club or NLS, national labor students; it's the biggest faction and its candidates, who this year are Bec and Alex iirc, are basically guaranteed election because they have more money and campaign worker bees than the others), the labor right (alp club or student unity) or the young liberals.

It pays to be cynical when choosing who to vote for because the odds of anyone following through on their grandiose campaign promises are extremely minimal. For some of the candidates this is because they've just come up with them in a transparent attempt to attract votes and don't intend to do anything about them. For others it's because they're full of ideals but will realise once they're on the board that there's nowhere near enough money to do all the crap they want to do. For others it's because their platforms are so vague (activate! participate! create!) as to be meaningless. In any case, significant numbers of them only want to be a director for the line on their resume because they think it'll help them become an MP.

Vote counting is by proportional representation, but as far as this concerns the voter it just means you number the candidates in preference order, as in a federal election. There's an affirmative action policy which means that a certain percentage (half?) of those elected must be female.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Triangulum said:
USU runs most student services, cafes, bars, clubs and societies, blah blah blah. It's run by a permanent staff, but they also have a board made out of students as a sop to student representation. Half the board is elected each year. Almost all the candidates are hacks from one political party or another, although they try to obscure this because it would drive turnout even lower than it already is. Most are from the labor left (which you'll see referred to as the labor club or NLS, national labor students; it's the biggest faction and its candidates, who this year are Bec and Alex iirc, are basically guaranteed election because they have more money and campaign worker bees than the others), the labor right (alp club or student unity) or the young liberals.

It pays to be cynical when choosing who to vote for because the odds of anyone following through on their grandiose campaign promises are extremely minimal. For some of the candidates this is because they've just come up with them in a transparent attempt to attract votes and don't intend to do anything about them. For others it's because they're full of ideals but will realise once they're on the board that there's nowhere near enough money to do all the crap they want to do. For others it's because their platforms are so vague (activate! participate! create!) as to be meaningless. In any case, significant numbers of them only want to be a director for the line on their resume because they think it'll help them become an MP.

Vote counting is by proportional representation, but as far as this concerns the voter it just means you number the candidates in preference order, as in a federal election. There's an affirmative action policy which means that a certain percentage (half?) of those elected must be female.
I'll note that I've actually spoken to members of the Union management team about Sash's campaign promises, and stuff like Subway, steaks, licensing the engo cafe, commem day on the front lawns, student surveys etc are all proposals which are viable, and in some cases already being considered. Things like carbon neutrality, it would seem, are not for a variety of reasons, and the other candidates know this but continue to put them up on their campaign posters.

Two of the five directors elected this year must be women.

EDIT: There are a lot of buzzwords and bullshit go on in these elections, and it's unfortunate that branding and good salespeople are going to get more people to vote than solid policy, but if you actually want to have a look at the policies of each candidate I think you'll find Sash's are head and shoulders above what most others are offering in terms of both relevance and feasibility. I mean, seriously, commuter common rooms?

Last edited:

kokodamonkey

HSC
yeah one of the candidates wants a commuter common room for those that take an hour and a half + to get to uni..

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
What is this commuter common room idea

sounds lolworthy

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Karina's facebook group said:
A Common Space for Travelling Students:
Along with all the other demands of daily life, students who commute to University lose hours getting to and from campus. For residents from outside central Sydney this can be in excess of 20 hours a week. For many, the time and effort taken to get to and from Uni puts limits on the amount of time spent on campus as well as enjoyment of the broader student experience.

The student experience could be improved with a Commuting Students’ Common Room, providing facilities to take the pressure off students, such as access to lockers to save having to carry bulky textbooks, sporting equipment or other items home on public transport; a coffee machine and microwaves for quick meals; and a lounge area where people facing similar pressures can meet.
Her other ideas include an option on all ACCESS card forms to have the union automatically debit your credit card every year until you graduate, to avoid the incovenience of having to renew every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)