Union Board Elections (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Mike was the one that I expected to do well. I'm disappointed in Georg not getting up because he cared more than any of us. But he lost out to AA, so this is only the third time it's come into play.

And Grassroots just used Lamisse as a feeder to Marco.

But I'm just glad this is all over.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Bad luck Arcorn. Guess you can't rely on students to know what's best for them :p.

I'm sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble interpreting this.

So from what I can gather, the top number in each cell is the number of votes, which means Georg had the 4th highest primary vote. After they got to the last exclusion round and all the votes of the excluded candidates were distributed, Georg had the third highest vote count of the 5 remaining candidates. As four of the five had to be elected, he should have got elected in place of Shannen, who had the lowest vote out of the 5.

Am I missing something?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Never mind, just read up on this affirmative action thing.

I'm sorry, but that's just fucked up.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Bad luck Arcorn. Guess you can't rely on students to know what's best for them :p.

I'm sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble interpreting this.

So from what I can gather, the top number in each cell is the number of votes, which means Georg had the 4th highest primary vote. After they got to the last exclusion round and all the votes of the excluded candidates were distributed, Georg had the third highest vote count of the 5 remaining candidates. As four of the five had to be elected, he should have got elected in place of Shannen, who had the lowest vote out of the 5.

Am I missing something?
dat butthurt

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
i'm actually pretty supportive of affirmative action. traditionally the stats have shown that men get more votes because of this sociological effect of women voting for men and women, but men being more inclined to vote for men, and there have been a few times in the past (pre-AA era) where the oard has been predominantly men. In these circumstances, it is not unusual for women's issues to be completely ignored for the term of their place on the board and I think that's a real shame. Equal representation is important.

nb: I'm not saying that men are unable to support cases for women, I'm just trying to point out that men tend to be less aware of them.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
That seems like a bit of an ad antiquitatem argument. Social traditions have evolved a lot since then, especially at progressive universities like USYD, and I doubt you'll find too many people who are disinclined to vote for somebody just because of their gender.

Building on that idea, the chances of women's issues being ignored, even in the case of a predominantly male board, would be extremely slim. Like I said, USYD is very socially progressive and the people who are elected into office, be they men or women, would reflect those views. And additionally, board directors are ultimately answerable to the people that they represent, so in the unlikely case that women's issues are being ignored, there would undoubtedly be backlash both from the existing women's groups on campus, and voters when election time comes along.

I do agree that there is a case to be made for equal representation; while any informed and sympathetic board would be able to operate in the interests of everybody, irrespective of whether they are from diverse backgrounds or not, many people seem to have trouble accepting that, so a watered down version of AA might be acceptable in order to appease them. As the current rules stand, there's nothing to prevent a predominantly female board, so we can have the exact same situation that AA is trying to prevent except with the gender roles reversed. Which is why if they really wanted to push this idea, then they should at least introduce a similar AA clause for male-identifying students as well.

But even then, you still have the capacity for perfectly able candidates to be excluded for unfair circumstances beyond their control. Georg seemed like one of the better candidates, and if I were Shannen I'd be feeling very guilty for riding the gravy train into office at his expense.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
i'm actually pretty supportive of affirmative action. traditionally the stats have shown that men get more votes because of this sociological effect of women voting for men and women, but men being more inclined to vote for men, and there have been a few times in the past (pre-AA era) where the oard has been predominantly men. In these circumstances, it is not unusual for women's issues to be completely ignored for the term of their place on the board and I think that's a real shame. Equal representation is important.

nb: I'm not saying that men are unable to support cases for women, I'm just trying to point out that men tend to be less aware of them.
For me it's not the idea of it that's wrong, it's more so that "at least 3 women" seems a bit too high. Something like either "at least 2 women" or "the top 3 men and top 3 women" seems better.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Yeah, AA is shit. All it's really done is pushed the established political factions to run women because it's strategically sensible, I was one of the only candidates to say I opposed it in my interviews, but you've got to play the game and to change it, you have to get in.
My campaign was weaker than others, I was disappointed in how I polled, but at the same time I was trying to appeal to students who didn't care and it didn't work. And the amount of engineers who wouldn't vote because there was no drink voucher this year.

Turnout was the lowest it has been since 2009, so it will be interesting to see whether the drink vouchers come back in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)