Unit of Study Marks for Semester 2 [USYD] (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Mine decreased by 3-5 points. And I did absolutely NOTHING last semester for maths and got mid credits, and when I decided to put in some effort to studying, I got lower marks. I smell some conspiracy with either the marking schemes or the scaling for advanced students!
I'm in the same situation except my marks went down by A LOT.

I fucking put effort into 1903.
I don't fucking understand.
Ugh.

zxreth

HSC
i feel the same about maths, is there anyway to get a recheck?

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
hmmm I thought I did much better in integral calc than diff calc in sem 1 but I apparently didn't...prob the fact more ppl did much better
And I thought stats was going to be scaled like linear algebra in sem 1 but then it looks like it wasn't :S but then again I wasn't that great at stats...*sigh*

zxreth

HSC
hmmm i thought i did much better in integral calc than diff calc in sem 1 but i apparently didn't...prob the fact more ppl did much better
and i thought stats was going to be scaled like linear algebra in sem 1 but then it looks like it wasn't :s but then again i wasn't that great at stats...*sigh*
same here...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm I thought I did much better in integral calc than diff calc in sem 1 but I apparently didn't...prob the fact more ppl did much better
And I thought stats was going to be scaled like linear algebra in sem 1 but then it looks like it wasn't :S but then again I wasn't that great at stats...*sigh*
ALL OF THIS IS MY THINKING. Ugh.

Don't even joke about that
Well, arts students don't have to worry, but science students generally want a job and good marks and stuff.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
They said I have to make an appointment through the student centre to get a re-check but im overseas atm. FML.
well just make an appointment for after you get back...?

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Strange that chem1 is out yet still no chem 2

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
AGEC 3104 Research Methods 78.0 Distinction
RSEC 4133 Economics of Mineral & Energy Industries 76.0 Distinction

CookBookStew

HSC
I'm in the same situation except my marks went down by A LOT.

I fucking put effort into 1903.
I don't fucking understand.
Ugh.
The exams are worth so much that if you screw something up it can effect your mark a lot. This becomes even more evident in second and third year when a lot of them have 75-80% exam components.

Beyond that I have a vague feeling that they have reduced the amount of scaling in the Advanced units in recent years. I hear from graduates that they put in very little work and got HD's. This doesn't seem to happen anymore, the raw mark you get seems to correlate well to the final mark. Also note that some class definitely scale DOWN in second year, in particular the NORMAL financial mathematics class.

Also there are sometimes mistakes in the exams in which cases they give extra marks to everybody. This happened last year in 2965 when Galloway wrote one of the questions incorrectly, it resulted in everyone getting very good scaling. Conversely something like 2968 is tough for everyone and even very good students struggle to get distinctions.

Look at it this way, if you want to do honours in mathematics and statistics you only need a 65 in advanced units or a 75 in normal units.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The exams are worth so much that if you screw something up it can effect your mark a lot. This becomes even more evident in second and third year when a lot of them have 75-80% exam components.

Beyond that I have a vague feeling that they have reduced the amount of scaling in the Advanced units in recent years. I hear from graduates that they put in very little work and got HD's. This doesn't seem to happen anymore, the raw mark you get seems to correlate well to the final mark. Also note that some class definitely scale DOWN in second year, in particular the NORMAL financial mathematics class.

Also there are sometimes mistakes in the exams in which cases they give extra marks to everybody. This happened last year in 2965 when Galloway wrote one of the questions incorrectly, it resulted in everyone getting very good scaling. Conversely something like 2968 is tough for everyone and even very good students struggle to get distinctions.

Look at it this way, if you want to do honours in mathematics and statistics you only need a 65 in advanced units or a 75 in normal units.
Yeah, but I don't feel like I screwed up that much. I think there was one whole question I fucked up but everything else should've been fine. Maybe I did worse than expected. I don't know. :/

Yeah, I'm not doing honours. lol

I might still major in maths. I don't know. I was only thinking about it because I found Linear Algebra interesting and got a mid-credit with minimal effort (and I didn't get any special consideration shit for that subject at all), and I found the Modelling side of Integral Calc and Modelling interesting as well, but I did TERRIBLY, so I'm really not sure. :/

For BSc do I need 12CP in maths or 12 junior CP in maths?

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
MBLG1001 Molecular Biology and Genetics (Intro) - 67.0 Credit
PHYS1003 Physics 1 (Technological) - 62.0 Pass
PSYC1002 Psychology 1002 - 76.0 Distinction

I was thinking I was going to do much worse in physics, and my WAM dropped by 0.9, but at least it's over.

Pic related.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)