• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Univeristy later on.. (2 Viewers)

Sew2289

HSC
Hey There,

After this years HSC I'm planning to take off more than the usal 1 year gap before I attend university to do some other things (Travel e.t.c. and attain a couple of qualifications that arent through uni). So by the time that I do plan going to uni, I'll be about 21, 22. Now my question is, what is the process of applying to enter into uni course at that age? Will my UAI still be valid after 2-3 years (Or even decrease?) or will I have to take the alternative routes into university?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
its called mature age entry, possibly under alternate pathways. You apply to the uni in question when you are ready and you may have to include a personal statement as to why you wish to enter uni.

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Wouldn't it be better to finish your education ASAP so that you have longer to enjoy life?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
not everyone chooses to go to uni straight away, for religious, or work experience reasons

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
not everyone chooses to go to uni straight away, for religious, or work experience reasons
I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic?..?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
my friend took a gap year to go to iran.
I'm not kidding

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
my friend took a gap year to go to iran.
I'm not kidding
Well, that isn't really religious. He might encounter some religious practices along the way, but I doubt you would go overseas for a religious reason.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
you take a year off for whatever reason my friend...you may change your mind about what you want to study during that time, which is crucial because some of us go into uni realising that the degree we're doing is not really what we expected, and so are dissatisfied

Evilo

HSC
Uni's love mature aged students, especially when they've actually worked/got a qualification. If its a reasonable UAI/entry and you haven't pissed your life away on booze for the last few years then i don't think you'll have a problem getting in. However i wouldn't take our word on it (contact the unis)- it is your future.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Uni's love mature aged students, especially when they've actually worked/got a qualification. If its a reasonable UAI/entry and you haven't pissed your life away on booze for the last few years then i don't think you'll have a problem getting in. However i wouldn't take our word on it (contact the unis)- it is your future.

DTFM

HSC
Wassup? said:
Wouldn't it be better to finish your education ASAP so that you have longer to enjoy life?
How does finishing your education earlier mean you have longer to enjoy life?

Sew2289

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys. Reason being for a later start time is because I a) Plan on taking a year off to possibly travel and B) Once I return, I will be enolling in a flight school to earn ratings to be eligible to become a pilot. My plan that way, is to attend uni part time whilst I build my hours towards commercial airline prerequisites, but I definitelty wish to enrol in uni eventually. thanks for replies
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/

G

Gavvvvvin

Wassup? said:
Would'nt it be better to enjoy your life in its prime?

bawd

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Exactly. Do the stupid things while you're still young, and not stuck in some office job trying to get a promotion.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
A lot of adults I know have said that their uni years were the best years of their life.

bawd

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
A lot of adults I know have said that their uni years were the best years of their life.
Because they were young at the time?

Older friends of a friend of mine said they regretted not taking a gap year and just going around Australia in a caravan chillaxing because they'll never get a chance to do that until they're retired.

Evilo

HSC
pointless argument - either way has valid points. I reckon gap years should be used doing something at least semi-productive. Going to mates places and getting fucked up for the whole year isn't a good gap year imo. If you don't want to gap year then go to uni - thats what i did, and i'm glad i did.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If you're 17 or 18, take a year off mate. I wish I had of.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Slidey said:
If you're 17 or 18, take a year off mate. I wish I had of.
I took a year and a half off, best decision of my life- and you're not alone. My boyfriend and all of our friends also took 1/2 years off and travelled or worked, we enjoy uni so much more and we get so much out of it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah. Eh, ah well I don't give a shit now. I'm starting a new degree and it'll be like a gap year that lasted 3 years where I actually learnt stuff!

See you at UoW!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)