Universities ripping overseas students off (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
UNSW has succumbed to what?
The article was about the closure of UNSW Asia...what has that got to do with wholesale degrees?
:confused:

Students who are enrolled at UNSW Asia in session one 2007 will be offered a place in an equivalent program at UNSW Sydney from session two 2007, and scholarships to help with travel and accommodation costs. Students who transfer to UNSW Sydney will receive full credit for the studies they have undertaken at UNSW Asia, and will retain credit for any advanced standing already granted. Tuition fees for these students will be set at the publicised UNSW Asia rates.
Doesn't seem like ripping off anyone either?

Last edited:

koube0530

HSC
I'm just commenting on how UNSW has gone to open a branch of that standard. Sorry if I offended your university.

That said, the standard of degrees really are low these days. I was speaking to a finance professor the other day, and he said because of all this international student intake they have to dumb down the course.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree that the way unis are going is worrying. It seems they're just interested in opening as many full-fee undergraduates as possible so they can fund their postgraduate research.

With MelbUni, you just need to study at Trinity College and you're as good as guaranteed into Commerce.

In the long run, it just destroys these uni's reputation when they give out degrees like this. Some dude from Hong Kong said to me the other day, people send their kids to Australia when they can't get into a university in HK. He was commenting on Monash.

phrred

HSC
I think its pretty widely known that Australian unis arent that high in quality or prestige. In reality almost any deadshit can get in even if you cant speak English very well at all.

I agree that many courses are dumbed down, otherwise many of these internationals wouldnt have any chances of passing.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
phrred said:
I think its pretty widely known that Australian unis arent that high in quality or prestige. In reality almost any deadshit can get in even if you cant speak English very well at all.

I agree that many courses are dumbed down, otherwise many of these internationals wouldnt have any chances of passing.
They're not dumbed down equally.

It's dumbed down for international students who bring plenty of cash with them, and made difficult for the Australian students. Degrees for international students should be marked somehow to signify that they are 1/4 as good as one given to an Australian student.

phrred

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
They're not dumbed down equally.

It's dumbed down for international students who bring plenty of cash with them, and made difficult for the Australian students. Degrees for international students should be marked somehow to signify that they are 1/4 as good as one given to an Australian student.
True.
Ideally, equality for everyone would be the best. They can do this by raising English requirement standards!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Who gives a fark

Everyone wants a bachelor's degree these days, and when everyone has a degree, no one has a degree.

As long as it funds their postgraduate work, and the quality of that postgraduate work does not decline, the unis will still produce useful research. They could sell degrees printed on napkins for 5k each if they wanted to.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
two magic words: permanent residence.

people dont care about where they go to uni, they just want their PR so they dont have to stay in their shitty asian countries.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
if they study hairdressing or some bullshit they will get PR.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
phrred said:
True.
Ideally, equality for everyone would be the best. They can do this by raising English requirement standards!
If there is equality it becomes too easy for Australian students and degrees mean nothing, or it becomes too hard for asian students and they all fail.

If they raise the English requirements then there are a lot less potential students from overseas. There is a fairly large percentage of international students in a lot of my subjects. In 2 and a half years I have met 1 who could really speak english properly. I have had a number of group members who were completely incapable of constructing even 1 sentence properly, and I am sure a lot of them only do reasonably well because they copy from sources but reference enough to make sure they aren't failed.

I don't see any realistic solution.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
jb_nc said:
if they study hairdressing or some bullshit they will get PR.
uhhhh no...

you need 110+ pts for your PR and hairdressing only gets you fingers that smell like hair

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
uhhhh no...

you need 110+ pts for your PR and hairdressing only gets you fingers that smell like hair
nah its really true. hair dressing is in the "needed occupations" category.

i was like wtf when i heard it on the 7.30 report

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
but that would bring shame upon their family's honour
well yeah they are probably disowned by their families in ching bong in north korea

turtleface

HSC
geez I dunno what kind of internationals get into NSW uni but down in Uni of Melbourne, the english skills of internationals ain't that bad based on my experience this year in taking 1st year tutorials. I think it's just that some of them have really unorthodox accents and because often you can't understand what they are saying, it hurts their overall reputation in terms of overall english skills.

By the sounds of the above discussion, international students seem to all be a bunch of fobs who dilute the education experience of other students. I don't believe this is the case. International students, especially from english speaking countries like Malaysia, Singapore, India and Sri Lanka often have english and communication skills that surpass the a lot of the bogans and introverts/shy people at uni. Granted, a lot of the latter are chinese students, but this is a generalisation only and I suspect due to cultural differences.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
jb_nc said:
nah its really true. hair dressing is in the "needed occupations" category.

i was like wtf when i heard it on the 7.30 report
jaysus you're telling then my cousin is wasting 30 grand a year studying to be an accountant when all she has to do is cut hair?

the kids from english-speaking countries can actually speak good english but its really weird and formal sounding. but unfortunately most of the fobs are from the mainland or hk.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Who gives a fark

Everyone wants a bachelor's degree these days, and when everyone has a degree, no one has a degree.
What about the value of education/learning in itself?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
geez I dunno what kind of internationals get into NSW uni but down in Uni of Melbourne, the english skills of internationals ain't that bad based on my experience this year in taking 1st year tutorials. I think it's just that some of them have really unorthodox accents and because often you can't understand what they are saying, it hurts their overall reputation in terms of overall english skills.

By the sounds of the above discussion, international students seem to all be a bunch of fobs who dilute the education experience of other students. I don't believe this is the case. International students, especially from english speaking countries like Malaysia, Singapore, India and Sri Lanka often have english and communication skills that surpass the a lot of the bogans and introverts/shy people at uni. Granted, a lot of the latter are chinese students, but this is a generalisation only and I suspect due to cultural differences.
Depends on which area you're talking about, I haven't seen too many international students lacking in english skills in media or the arts, but apparently there are some really bad ones where english is not exactly "pre-requisite" (ie, usually accounting).

is a roflcopter
HSC
try to be sympathic
just imagine you are in china trying to do a preso in chinese
for them to even pump out half sentences is quite a feat

and most of the time the fobs are hardworkers which is good

what i dont like are fucken honkies
who know english but have a shit attitude and dress funny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)