Universities ripping overseas students off (1 Viewer)

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
They're not dumbed down equally.

It's dumbed down for international students who bring plenty of cash with them, and made difficult for the Australian students. Degrees for international students should be marked somehow to signify that they are 1/4 as good as one given to an Australian student.
How about being marked by being achieved by some total dick who can't even communicate? :D

Also, fuck being sympathetic. Uni is not daycare, nor introduction to being a total mong. That's the bit that gets me, I don't really care about the inherent value in my degree or any of that bullshit, because it's all a joke in the end anyway. The bit that bugs me is having to tolerate that level of inability in what is supposed to be a quality institution.

HSC
politik said:
Uh, they might be 'dumbed down' at your University, but UNSW fails 10-15% of international students every year.

I know you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't.

So therefore, you're eligible for NUS membership! Join now!
You think that 90 - 85% of the internationals you come across deserve to pass? From the ones I've seen, I think I'd pass about two, total.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
try to be sympathic
just imagine you are in china trying to do a preso in chinese
for them to even pump out half sentences is quite a feat

and most of the time the fobs are hardworkers which is good

what i dont like are fucken honkies
who know english but have a shit attitude and dress funny
I don't think those are the people we have problems with, but the honkies and the fucknuts who've been in australia and still can't speak a sentence of english

And your point is moot anyway, if they're coming to australia to study, they have to go through various tests, and the assumption you'll be speaking english.

Conspirocy

HSC
I think it is a complete joke to let in international student's the way they are accepted into universities today. My father came to Australia at the age of 18 not speaking a word of English. He started high school, year 11 and 12 at the age of 20 and then went to university. The difference is he learnt how to become a part of Australian society, and made the effort to show he deserved a place in university. I’m sure a lot of international students do sit their HSC here (well actually I have no idea)?

When he was at university they weren't dumbing down his course to make it easier for him to pass. Anyone who say's that isn't the case is a fool. I've gone through three years of accounting, and have had one assignment that was written. In my economics major I haven't had a written assignment for 3 years - although the finals are predominately essay based. We have had entire sections in accounting that were language based readings, and the response of the lecturer's was to test all this content via multiple choice. Clearly, there are some time saving mechanism's here, but 40 percent of a final exam based on multiple choice is ridiculous. It serves to dumb down courses for students by putting the answer in front of them, rather than seeing if they were able to think of it themselves. Reading skills are a lot different from writing skills and many exams and assessments are designed to alleviate this problem.

Anyway back to my point, having to go to a course with so many international students has made a majority of my university experience unenjoyable. A lot of international students are rude, arrogant, spoilt and impossible to work with – whether this is a cultural clash could be true. A lot of international students work hard and are capable of doing a degree at the highest level. However, there is no reason to make any course easier. People always say 'why don’t you try studying a degree in a foreign language?' in defence of international students. The facts are that when international students come to UNSW they are aware that they will be assessed on their knowledge of the subject area in English, it was their choice – perhaps it makes it harder for them, but why should my education be diminished because someone willingly chose to study in another language. University is like a highway of knowledge and the changes that have been made are like setting the speed limit to 40.

That being said I don’t think it has affected me that much. Maybe like 5-10% of my course has been lost, but there are other factors involved such as short tutorials and poor (I mean lazy) teaching. But if it’s like that at UNSW I can only imagine other universities.

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well to answer your first question, my cousin is about to jump into first year uni straight from what we would call year 11. a lot of international students do a foundation year first then start first year uni. the most attractive places to go are the ones that let you start second year uni after completing a foundation year, like uts insearch or club mac sibt.

in the end, we're all going to get a degree and the employer probably couldnt care less about the number of writing assignments you did or if you had to analyse reports and write in-depth responses to them. they'll look at 'unsw' or 'usyd' along with your WAM and that'd be good enough.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
So it comes down to whether you think there's any intrinsic value to education or not :D
ching chong changgg~~~~~~~~~~~~

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
well to answer your first question, my cousin is about to jump into first year uni straight from what we would call year 11. a lot of international students do a foundation year first then start first year uni. the most attractive places to go are the ones that let you start second year uni after completing a foundation year, like uts insearch or club mac sibt.

in the end, we're all going to get a degree and the employer probably couldnt care less about the number of writing assignments you did or if you had to analyse reports and write in-depth responses to them. they'll look at 'unsw' or 'usyd' along with your WAM and that'd be good enough.
Yeah good luck with that, since most jobs require an interview and getting through that unable to speak a single line of coherent english is going to go down well.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Yeah good luck with that, since most jobs require an interview and getting through that unable to speak a single line of coherent english is going to go down well.
don't you think that cheapens the idea of an undergraduate degree? how the hell could someone so bad in english they cant get a job graduate?

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
presumably, a large number of them won't be staying in australia after uni :p

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
you'd be surprised

im told now that you dont get double points towards your PR for doing accounting anymore so that may go some of the way to reducing the number of fobs around.

turtleface

HSC
Yeah its interesting how accounting is less useful for PR nowadays. I wonder if it will cause migration of international students out of accounting subjects. I think its happening at my uni already, back in first year accounting was like 99% internationals. Now its more like 80%.

On the other hand finance used to be like 50% internationals. Now its like 99%.
Not sure how to explain the second one though

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
turtleface said:
Yeah its interesting how accounting is less useful for PR nowadays. I wonder if it will cause migration of international students out of accounting subjects. I think its happening at my uni already, back in first year accounting was like 99% internationals. Now its more like 80%.

On the other hand finance used to be like 50% internationals. Now its like 99%.
Not sure how to explain the second one though

this is totally off the top of the head, but i'd go with - aging population, need more fund managers

xoa

HSC
I don't think many internationals are paying for the education, anyway. They've paying for the permanent residency. That's the global "niche" for Australian "education".

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if you come from indonesia, a life in australia is worth more than the money paid for a degree in order to obtain a PR. God bless Australia and John Howard for being a racist bastard who doesn't let it poor people.

lala2

Banned
HSC
As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, students from English-speaking (Asian) countries like Malaysia, Singapore, India, and even HK aren't too bad. The few Taiwanese I have met aren't too bad either. Their accents may take a bit of getting used to, but it really isn't all that bad. I really though, have a thing against mainlanders because they refuse to speak in anything other than Mandarin and which is just annoying as hell. But I guess I can see the points of people against HKers--I can understand Cantonese which is why it isn't so bad but those of you that can't may find them pretty annoying too.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
if you come from indonesia, a life in australia is worth more than the money paid for a degree in order to obtain a PR. God bless Australia and John Howard for being a racist bastard who doesn't let it poor people.
yes, yes, australia is so racist. i mean, which country is more racist: australia or indonesia???????? hmm hard question

and especially, john howard, master racist, leader of the ku klux klan, how dare he let 300 00 migrants come to australia this year. what a racist.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
yes, yes, australia is so racist. i mean, which country is more racist: australia or indonesia???????? hmm hard question

and especially, john howard, master racist, leader of the ku klux klan, how dare he let 300 00 migrants come to australia this year. what a racist.
Probably australia.

Unless you watch all those today tonight crap, in which case Indonesia is the spawn of the muslim devil.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Probably australia.

Unless you watch all those today tonight crap, in which case Indonesia is the spawn of the muslim devil.
yeah obviously. its not like indonesia has ever commited genocide against hundreds of thousands of people.

they're totally down with these things

including shari'a law apparently. but only today tonight would brainwash you that indonesia isn't a multicultural utopia

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
yeah obviously. its not like indonesia has ever commited genocide against hundreds of thousands of people.

they're totally down with these things

including shari'a law apparently. but only today tonight would brainwash you that indonesia isn't a multicultural utopia
Rofl, yeah cos we obviously don't have a problem wiping out a race aye, nope, terra nullius ftw!

Furthermore, that shit about shari'a law is only applicable in Aceh, and is not a replacement for but works in conjunction with their national law.

And furthermore, Aceh was already predominantly of that strand of islam and so just made what was common law.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)