University assumed knowledge (1 Viewer)

gallball123

HSC
Hey,

I am currently looking at my preferences for uni and im just wondering. The courses i want have all assumed knowledge of Ext 1 Maths. I have just dropped ext 1 maths after trials. Does this put me at a disadvantage against other kids who do ext 1 maths, because when they apply, they will see that they do ext 1 math, and i dont, which means higher chance for them of getting in? or do they not look at your subjects? Thanks!

astroman

HSC
It honestly depends on your degree as the level/amount of math required in uni subjects varies greatly.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hey,

I am currently looking at my preferences for uni and im just wondering. The courses i want have all assumed knowledge of Ext 1 Maths. I have just dropped ext 1 maths after trials. Does this put me at a disadvantage against other kids who do ext 1 maths, because when they apply, they will see that they do ext 1 math, and i dont, which means higher chance for them of getting in? or do they not look at your subjects? Thanks!
Assumed knowledge generally has no bearing on whether or not you actually get into the degree. Entry is primarily based on your ATAR.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Hey,

A course with an assumed knowledge of Ext 1 Maths is probably one which will require a fairly strong background in maths - beyond 2U Maths. So, even if you are accepted (unis are often eager to enrol more students), your lack of Ext 1 Maths means that you may struggle in the course. Some courses may list Ext 1 Maths as assumed knowledge, but which are better for those who have done Ext 2 Maths.

The fact that you are dropping Ext 1 suggests you are not too strong in your maths.

gallball123

HSC
Oh btw, i have completed the course which means that i know all the content, i just think that i should just focus on my best 10 units and ext 1 isnt one of them.

gallball123

HSC
Assumed knowledge generally has no bearing on whether or not you actually get into the degree. Entry is primarily based on your ATAR.
So what you mean is that i would not be at a disadvantage in terms of enrolling, but i might be at a disadvantage in terms of mathematical knowlefge? am i correct?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Oh btw, i have completed the course which means that i know all the content, i just think that i should just focus on my best 10 units and ext 1 isnt one of them.
That's great then; you are not like the typical Ext 1 dropout. What a relief.

But maybe you should just keep your Maths Ext 1 and retract your withdrawal. It would be useful and helpful to have it as one of your HSC subjects, when applying for uni courses.

But USyd is planning to reintate appropriate Maths prerequistes for various STEM courses. Wonder when this will come into effect?

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Hey,

Entry is based on your ATAR entirely.

The math is hard, but not impossible. I only did 2u and am doing fine (passing?). You'll be fine if you work hard.

gallball123

HSC
That's great then; you are not like the typical Ext 1 dropout. What a relief.

But maybe you should just keep your Maths Ext 1 and retract your withdrawal. It would be useful and helpful to have it as one of your HSC subjects, when applying for uni courses.
i was thinking of doing this, but ext 1 maths is taking way too much of my time and i would rather focus on my other subjects.

But USyd is planning to reintate appropriate Maths prerequistes for various STEM courses. Wonder when this will come into effect?
I believe this is for year 10s in 2017.

Thanks for the reply!

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Entry is based on your ATAR entirely.

The math is hard, but not impossible. I only did 2u and am doing fine (passing?). You'll be fine if you work hard.
tfw u do shit in 3u but get solid Ds even in 3rd year maths

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If you are looking to apply for engineering through FEAS at UNSW which considers more than just your ATAR, then dropping ext 1 may affect your interview performance

But if you are confident on getting above the cut-off somewhere around 91 ATAR, then dropping ext 1 will not have any affect on whether you get into comp eng or not

Kat92

HSC
Hey,

No, it doesn't because quite often unis offer bridging courses, learning development or PASS sessions if you feel you need them.

moonkitty

HSC
is assumed knowledge different to prerequisites? because i always hear "oh, you have to do maths if you want to do medicine because it's a prereq. at usyd now" , etc. i thought assumed knowledge was the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)