UNSW chit chat thread (2 Viewers)

D94

HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2017

Does anyone know where on moodle you can go to confirm you passed the ELISE test? I just finished it and passed it and all but I kinda want some other proof so its not week 5 when I get a email saying surprise bitch.... you aint gonna s2 this year

In other news - do I have to try and become an auditory learner... cos im used to the visual :C
you can look at the moodle gradebook on the left sidebar

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC

my marketing tutorial has such a depressing atmosphere
- 18/24 students are international
- it's a quad room
- around half your marks are allocated through random groups tasks

BHLee

HSC
N/A

^And on my end, I couldn't hear any languages aside of English in all 4 of my tutorials classes, this is not what I was expecting lol.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone have similar situation when connecting to uniwide using Android phone?
It shows me a list regarding EAP Method: PEAP, Phase2 Type: MSCHAPv2, CA Certificate: Unspecified, Identity: zID.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

Hard to choose when it's the first lab and half the people are going around "hey how many languages do you know", then you watch them proceed to open up Python IDLE and write a program that infinite loops "hey" and act like they're a coding ninja. /rant

Seriously though, it's incredibly hard to judge someone's knowledge in the first lab - on a side note my lab at least didn't get to choose- basically was who you sat next to. Hopefully they're not a deadweight
lmao

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC

Is there actually a Waifu Club? I've been told so, but never confirmed.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

I feel like the last two weeks have gone by pretty quickly, either I'm having too much fun or not enough free time :p

COMP1511 lectures are still really bad, I've stopped going to the ones on Wednesdays. The exercises are improving though, definitely need to think about solutions a little for the challenges.

dust3

HSC
Uni Grad

I feel like the last two weeks have gone by pretty quickly, either I'm having too much fun or not enough free time :p

COMP1511 lectures are still really bad, I've stopped going to the ones on Wednesdays. The exercises are improving though, definitely need to think about solutions a little for the challenges.
Why is it bad? If it's a problem with the lecturer, you can always go to the alternative one that runs exactly at the same time.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

Why is it bad? If it's a problem with the lecturer, you can always go to the alternative one that runs exactly at the same time.
It's more that the lectures are so incredibly slow - it took our lecturer 4 hours to cover something our tutor then redid in about 10 minutes. Both lectures go at the same pace so going to the lecture won't change much.

dust3

HSC
Uni Grad

It's more that the lectures are so incredibly slow - it took our lecturer 4 hours to cover something our tutor then redid in about 10 minutes. Both lectures go at the same pace so going to the lecture won't change much.
Ah alright, well you could always watch the lectures from the previous years taught by Richard Buckland on Open Learning. The problem is that its a different course (1917 vs 1511) - but most of the material should be the same.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

does he record it then 2x speed

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

Let me guess, you have Shepherd as your lecturer?
No, Andrew Taylor. Spends 2 entire lectures explaining what a while loop is, and constantly makes mistakes on purpose so we can "spot" them - but then takes forever to actually change them, acting surprised when his code doesn't work. With that children's TV "I wonder why that didn't work?" voice.

I don't know, it might work for someone who's never done any programming or logical thinking before in their life, but I honestly feel like I'm falling asleep in there.

dust3

HSC
Uni Grad

No, Andrew Taylor. Spends 2 entire lectures explaining what a while loop is, and constantly makes mistakes on purpose so we can "spot" them - but then takes forever to actually change them, acting surprised when his code doesn't work. With that children's TV "I wonder why that didn't work?" voice.

I don't know, it might work for someone who's never done any programming or logical thinking before in their life, but I honestly feel like I'm falling asleep in there.
Yeah he's very like that for COMP1911 (he taught this course last year and the years before) and he's doing it intentionally to incorporate learning to first year students, because after all, it is an introductory computing course. You'll probably have him again for COMP2041 Software Construction, in which he's quite popular for, many former student loved this course and Andrew himself lol.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Andrew was a really good lecturer imo

he was going slowly mainly because the people in the room had no experience in programming and 99% of people could follow what he wanted.

SammyT123

HSC

Andrew was a really good lecturer imo

he was going slowly mainly because the people in the room had no experience in programming and 99% of people could follow what he wanted.
Sounds annoying from what my peers tell me - They dont have any experience and still think his horribly slow, so they just watch thenewboston videos on youtube instead of lectures.

also do u sleep (3am post)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

From a holistic view, isn't it better that the pace is really slow? Imagine the amount of content you're going go through if you're doing loops for three weeks

Your final exam might be "code me a print out of the first 50 fibonacci numbers" or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)