UNSW chit chat thread (2 Viewers)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2017

From a non-biased perspective, trimesters are less helpful towards students seeking for internships, as it disadvantages them from completing their degree early upon failure. On the other hand, trimesters allow students to finish their degree earlier, where the university allocates a third semester by forcing a 'summer school'. However, this program is unnecessary since capable and willing students can just overload and do summer school, which this new system disadvantages all types of students. In the end, everyone will get used to it, but it could be a point of consideration when choosing universities, where USYD doesn't do this system, but UTS and UNSW does.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

you'll still have the same time as we do in the normal semesters but less holiday time at the end of the year. really the only thing that is going to affect is whatever you do in the summer holidays.

You can even do an internship concurrently with studies. You can pick 1 or 2 distance subjects in the 3rd semester and have an extremely long internship from end of 2nd semester to beginning of 1st the next year

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

and 4 weeks for stuvac/exams is pretty generous. You'd have a good decent break between semesters anyways

Flop21

HSC

it doesn't really affect anyone, it will just take a bit of time to get used to the new system
Um, I feel like I've made it clear it effects me. I will be doing internships every year. I need to be doing 8 subjects a year to graduate on time, doing only 6 makes me not graduate on time. Not doing an internship hurts my job opportunities.

matchalolz

HSC

I used to not give a f*** about trimesters because I work full time but on the off-chance that I quit or something I think it'll srsly mess things up

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Um, I feel like I've made it clear it effects me. I will be doing internships every year. I need to be doing 8 subjects a year to graduate on time, doing only 6 makes me not graduate on time. Not doing an internship hurts my job opportunities.
if you do an internship every summer that will only put 1 semester behind if you decide to do 6 subjects in 2019. 1 semester is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things

D94

HSC
N/A

Why don't students just do 4 courses per trimester, instead of 3? Or 4 courses for 3 trimesters, thereby freeing 1 whole trimester.

I'd say it's easier to do 4 courses in 10 weeks than 5 courses in 12 weeks (if you were going to overload now).

If you're an average or above student, doing 4 courses in 10 weeks is more or less the same as 4 in 12 weeks.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Why don't students just do 4 courses per trimester, instead of 3? Or 4 courses for 3 trimesters, thereby freeing 1 whole trimester.

I'd say it's easier to do 4 courses in 10 weeks than 5 courses in 12 weeks (if you were going to overload now).

If you're an average or above student, doing 4 courses in 10 weeks is more or less the same as 4 in 12 weeks.
idk man I consider myself above average but it definitely takes me time to grasp concepts
also mid sem break helps a lot

D94

HSC
N/A

idk man I consider myself above average but it definitely takes me time to grasp concepts
also mid sem break helps a lot
I know it's not ideal, but there's very few options other than this or extending your degree. You'd be hard pressed to convince a company with a structured internship program to cut it in half for you. I guess you could take 2 courses in the first semester then 4 in the following. You could probably complete your internship (say it's 10 weeks) by the end of week 3 at uni, so as long as you choose courses that don't have assessments due that early, it might be doable.

Flop21

HSC

Someone help me with discrete math :(

I am so behind.

matchalolz

HSC

Are discrete math lectures recorded at all?

matchalolz

HSC

I think they're all recorded (at least my stream is)
Does your lecturer write up equations on the board that doesn't get filmed by the recording? Because I know that happens with one of the subjects I'm taking rn

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

Does your lecturer write up equations on the board that doesn't get filmed by the recording? Because I know that happens with one of the subjects I'm taking rn
I had Catherine Greenhill for the first few weeks and she would write on paper with a projector that was recorded, I haven't checked for the guy we have now but he doesn't really write much in lectures

D94

HSC
N/A

Normally, nothing gets 'filmed'. It's a recording of the computer display, but that can be changed between the computer output or an external device such as a projector.

matchalolz

HSC

Normally, nothing gets 'filmed'. It's a recording of the computer display, but that can be changed between the computer output or an external device such as a projector.
I had Catherine Greenhill for the first few weeks and she would write on paper with a projector that was recorded, I haven't checked for the guy we have now but he doesn't really write much in lectures
Thanks for the responses, I was just asking because the lectures are spread out over four days and I don't think I can go to it

integral95

HSC

Is it bad that my worst subject is SCIF
No, it's a pretty useless course. The only good part of the course when I did it last year was the interview with Libo Li (apparently it's been shown in the tutes this year?) Rest of it was just explaining bullshit and hoping for the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)