UNSW chit chat thread (2 Viewers)

D94

HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

is it possible to enrol into another course this semester this late? with obviously financial penalty
not after week 1
It's possible after week 1, just not after the census date.

You need approval from the course convener, lecturer in charge, and most importantly your school office (as they can literally veto your request).

Given tomorrow is the census date, you will need a compelling reason to enrol in a new course.

D94

HSC
N/A

Can someone tell me why i need maths for COMP science degree? I'm really struggling with math, and I might JUST pass (hopefully), but now It's gonna make my WAM so low that im gonna have to drop to normal science from ADV Science. I also need to do discrete math and math 1231 next sem, So my wam is truly going to suffer.

Yeh. Tough life
Those in computer science who do well in maths, tend to also do well overall in computer science.

Doesn't answer your question, but food for thought.

HSC

Thanks D94. I'm just looking at how I wasted some subjects and did 3 subjects per semester for 2 semesters (so so stupid of me), in my 2nd year. I calculated that if I do full summer school load every summer semester and keep commerce/eco, it would take full 4 years, that is considering if I don't any subject as well. And if i dropped the economics component, it would take the entire 3 years including summer. I guess I'm worried about how long it will take to finish my degree, and it would take so so much longer, if I try to find an internship or something.

I mean, how long does it usually take commerce students to graduate, 3 or at most 4 unless they have full-time work? But it seems i will take even longer and I'm not sure if i can go to summer school since it is all upfront.

So it's not just using myunsw to add courses now?

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Most of the time students pick 4 subjects per sem.

That's what I was told so I listened.

D94

HSC
N/A

4 years is no big deal for a single commerce degree, some students take their time as they work full time on top of their studies, some students do honours, some might take a break and come back. There are no set conventions or rules with how long one should take.

As a student, you cannot add courses now. You must apply through a physical form that must be signed by those people I mentioned above. You have literally 1 day to get approved and there are no guarantees that you would be allowed - assessments might have occurred already, classes full etc. You have like a 1% chance of being allowed to pick up a course at this time (i.e. on the census date).

D94

HSC
N/A

Most of the time students pick 4 subjects per sem.

That's what I was told so I listened.
24 UOC, but yeah since most courses are 6UOC, then 4 courses per semester.

I have a friend who did 7 courses in a semester, granted that 4 courses were 3 UOC each, and he overloaded 6 UOC, so a total of 30 UOC.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

If I was able to enrol into the subject, does that mean I satisfied the prerequisites? So i shouldn't contact my lecturer-in-charge, but rather the business school, since I don't know who my program coordinator especially since it is mid-sem break?
Usually it means that you have satisfied pre-requisites. As for co-requisites you may be able to get away with it. Depends on the school and if they are on top of their shit or not.

You should always keep track of who your program coordinator is. I've had the same one since end of 1st year and I've spoken to him heaps since then trying to organise my program.

So, anomalousdecay, I shouldn't have to worry right since even if i missed pre-requisites and didn't/couldn't contact, the mark I received for the subject (since it was a subject I did last semester and also this semester , i know i'm stupid) shouldn't be invalid or do i have to do the subject again?
If you have completed the course and passed, then it doesn't matter if you skipped pre-reqs in getting enrolled. You will be accredited with completing the course. Just make sure that you know what you are doing. I'm skipping a few pre-reqs this sem but I had many discussions before getting to this stage.

I'm not sure since math1131 apparently is a substitute for econ1202 for one of my subs, but I don't know if i need to apply for course substitution but since I was able to still enrol into econ2101 which needed econ1202, does that mean it should be fine ?
I could just say that you should be fine, but honestly that's really out of our hands. I'd be lying if I said I knew the definitive answer to this. You should check the handbook first. If you have any doubts then consult your program coordinator to ask about it.

I guess what I mean is substitutes are automatic, I don't have to contact anyone since it is on my academic transcript right? so since I did math1131, it automatically means I satisfied econ1202 and don't need to do it, right?
Check the handbook. If you have any doubts then confirm with your program coordinator.

Sorry for all these questions. Thank you so so so much for your reply, anomalousdecay. At the most, it shouldn't mean the mark for that one sub I already did is invalid.
That's fine.

Depends if that course is part of your program or not. Check if it is through handbook and program coordinator.

One of my current sub (econ2102), says a pre-requisite is econ1203, but I have already done math1131/math1231 which is a substitute, but since I'm doing econ1203 (even though i don't have, but just doing it for cpa) this semester, would i have to drop econ2102? Thanks in advance.
No you should check to see if you should be doing ECON1203 or not. If you should be doing ECON1203 then whether you should be doing ECON2102 or not should be discussed with program coordinator. You might be ok with ECON2102 any way but it depends on how intensive the pre-req/co-req claim is.

I've had courses that are labelled as pre-reqs for other courses but found out that the pre-req was nowhere near necessary for a HD. Those courses could have been skipped.

What I'm getting at here is that this is a case by case basis and the expert behind all this will be your program coordinator and the course convenors (especially if there are courses from multiple schools).

Mr_Kap

HSC

we can do it mr kap

we only have to do 3 math subjects, and if you do it all this year, bam no more math ever

I can imagine more complex programming needing more complex math

But yeah I don't know shit for math and I'm behind
, but I'm also falling behind in another sub and got all these assessments so can't solely focus on math to catch up.
Yeh i've spent today catching up on math, and I'm confident i can get at least 8/10 in the class tests. Am gonna spend heaps of time though on math so i can be ready for questions like those seen in the final exam. I have the luxury of having time for math, as comp1917 isnt hard right now, im alright with chem1031 as Ive been studdying throughout the semester, and I'm doing SCIF and we have a group project which we are waiting to meet before we can continue.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

David Angell.

Does anyone else feel like all the shit the uni students said to them during HSC about uni (e.g "It's like the HSC every semester", "You move soo much faster than school", "You have to do SOO much more work every week" etc..... etc.., is just BS)?

Like I feel the amount of work to do each week is the same. And in uni, you are not aiming to get in the 90's in your tests...For me , I just need a WAM above 70 to stay in Adv Science.
Yes, in the lectures we move a bit faster, but overall it feels around the same amount of work each week. The only truth to what I was told is that the work is going to be harder. That was not an exaggeration.
nek minut

Can someone tell me why i need maths for COMP science degree? I'm really struggling with math, and I might JUST pass (hopefully), but now It's gonna make my WAM so low that im gonna have to drop to normal science from ADV Science. I also need to do discrete math and math 1231 next sem, So my wam is truly going to suffer.

Yeh. Tough life

Mr_Kap

HSC

nek minut
HAHAHA. ive always been shit at maths though. I got 33% in trials for 3u math.

I thought math wasnt gonna be that hard but it feels the same hardness as 3u and 4u (both of which i dropped) did.

So no. It's still not SOOO much more work everyweek at uni compared to hsc.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

You could have done a lower math level then gone up to that one, there's always flexibility and options.

Mr_Kap

HSC

You could have done a lower math level then gone up to that one, there's always flexibility and options.
but computer science said minimum math 1131 and math 1231. Anyway, I'll pull through this.

Mr_Kap

HSC

yes I meant do a lower math and then do 1131 and 1231
Meh. Don't wanna be at uni for a hundred years. Like they say, you got to risk it for the biscuit.

leehuan

HSC

24 UOC, but yeah since most courses are 6UOC, then 4 courses per semester.

I have a friend who did 7 courses in a semester, granted that 4 courses were 3 UOC each, and he overloaded 6 UOC, so a total of 30 UOC.
Well yeah, more accurately I should be saying 24 UoC.

Theses can be like 24 in itself so yeah

HSC

D94, so is doing 4 pushing on towards 5, or even 5 years without honours for commerce, not unusual? I'm just thinking about the worst worst case scenario. I just think employers will feel it is really weird like why would she take only 3 subjects so early into her degree like second semester first year and again in 2nd year 1st semester. Hopefully, good marks in summer school won't be bad upon by employers since there is less content

Also, anomalousdecay, so is the pre-requisites more for difficulty wise, so I should hopefully still be to be do econ1203 and econ2102 at the same time. What happens if I don't contact anyone? So, the past course should be okay ,but econ1203 and econ2102 on the same semester might not be? I don't want to drop to 2 subjects since that would mean I have to overload and do all summer sessions.

Thanks for your replies.Also, how would i find out my program coordinator?

For commerce/economics, math1131/math1231 is substitutes for econ1202/econ1203 but since I might want to do cpa, I have to econ1203, particularly if i'm dropping down to commerce. And I was thinking at worst, if i drop to commerce, that econ2102 and econ2101 are business electives.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

No ones going to read into ur transcript that much srsly

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

D94, so is doing 4 pushing on towards 5, or even 5 years without honours for commerce, not unusual? I'm just thinking about the worst worst case scenario. I just think employers will feel it is really weird like why would she take only 3 subjects so early into her degree like second semester first year and again in 2nd year 1st semester. Hopefully, good marks in summer school won't be bad upon by employers since there is less content
If you can justify it then I see no issue.

Not all employers check all of your transcript in that depth though.

Also, anomalousdecay, so is the pre-requisites more for difficulty wise, so I should hopefully still be to be do econ1203 and econ2102 at the same time. What happens if I don't contact anyone? So, the past course should be okay ,but econ1203 and econ2102 on the same semester might not be? I don't want to drop to 2 subjects since that would mean I have to overload and do all summer sessions.
Pre-requisites are usually there to catch out students who do not have the knowledge to even attempt the course. If you have the knowledge otherwise then it's fine. Just contact any way and see what advice they give you (program coordinator). I don't really know about ECON1203 or ECON2102. Depending on the situation, maybe you should be doing only 1203 or only 2102 or maybe it's perfectly fine to do both. Shouldn't have to drop both at all. Just figure out what you should be doing.

Thanks for your replies.Also, how would i find out my program coordinator?
Check school website. Can check here too https://student.unsw.edu.au/program-contacts

HSC

What happens if there isn't a reason (like something i would attempt to say) , a good reason or just reason, i guess i will just have to find a reason or something? that would look terrible which is what i'm worried about. I don't want to drop any of ECON1203 or ECON2102, i hope that is the case. Thank you for the link for program contacts. Also, how likely is that you have to mention ATAR or provide documents for an internship?

Last edited:

He

HSC

can anyone help me locate past tests for math1151? I can find them for 1131 and 1141 in my notes booklet but none for 1151. cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)