UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

It's so hard to organise things at uni, like how do you become closer to people at uni?
Make friends, make an effort to hang out with people and stuff

Just connect with people and you'll find people you like as friends and you'll go from there

Although that said, some of my closest uni friends ever were people from a certain internet forum that we may or may not be posting on right now :detective:

For instance, one of the BoS-ers will call me randomly and be like "yo sd, lunch?"

or with the chicken nuggets, we made re-contact after a certain UNSW Free Food post and then we chatted a bit after, and then we decided to do a food challenge

Just last week I made re-contact with someone else, she seems lovely and we'll see how it goes from there

That said, if I'm having lunch or something with someone one-on-one, 95% of the time, it's with a girl. With guy friends it's more general hang out and chill and whatnot - rarely do I have, what my friends call, "man-dates"

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Make friends, make an effort to hang out with people and stuff

Just connect with people and you'll find people you like as friends and you'll go from there

Although that said, some of my closest uni friends ever were people from a certain internet forum that we may or may not be posting on right now :detective:

For instance, one of the BoS-ers will call me randomly and be like "yo sd, lunch?"

or with the chicken nuggets, we made re-contact after a certain UNSW Free Food post and then we chatted a bit after, and then we decided to do a food challenge

Just last week I made re-contact with someone else, she seems lovely and we'll see how it goes from there

That said, if I'm having lunch or something with someone one-on-one, 95% of the time, it's with a girl. With guy friends it's more general hang out and chill and whatnot - rarely do I have, what my friends call, "man-dates"
Yeah that's the issue tho, I don't know where to go from there, other than only seeing them when we bump into each other around uni etc.

HSC
Uni Grad

I became close to people at uni through societies and different interests. The vast majority of my friends are not from my degree program but rather through a different range of societies, i.e. mathsoc, AUNSW, pokesoc, etc.

Also many of my friends I've met through at work also went to UNSW, and I've become good friends with them by giving a chat to them even on fb or just by walking on the main walkway.

On the main walkway I pretty much spot at least 2-3 people I know and say hi to them, and maybe give them a chat. I've never had an incidence where I walked in the main walkway from start to finish where there was noone to talk to, iirc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Yeah that's the issue tho, I don't know where to go from there, other than only seeing them when we bump into each other around uni etc.
When I see people I know, who I haven't talked to in a while, depending on the vibe, I'll follow up with a message on facebook and then we chat and then that usually ends up with me adding a ~social event~ to my calendar

If it was just a quick wave or something, then no - but if we stop and actually talk for a while and the like, then I follow up

mreditor16

HSC

I became close to people at uni through societies and different interests. The vast majority of my friends are not from my degree program but rather through a different range of societies, i.e. mathsoc, AUNSW, pokesoc, etc.

Also many of my friends I've met through at work also went to UNSW, and I've become good friends with them by giving a chat to them even on fb or just by walking on the main walkway.

On the main walkway I pretty much spot at least 2-3 people I know and say hi to them, and maybe give them a chat. I've never had an incidence where I walked in the main walkway from start to finish where there was noone to talk to, iirc.
I swear there's never been a single time when I've been walking from one class to another or on a break, and I don't bump into a BOSer/high school friend/someone who i havent seen since primary school. I dont why but you end up keeping on bumping into people, especially those you rarely see!

leehuan

HSC

I probably bump into BoSers...I just don't recognise who they are

packpig123

HSC
N/A

Is missing an assignment mark of quiz marks in the calculation of your final grade common and is there any way to tell other than having a suspicion and asking them because the grade differed from what you expected?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Apparently uni physics is nothing like HSC physics, it's pretty much all calculations apparently.

My lecturer says it's annoying because it turns people off who would like uni physics, and attracts those who have the wrong idea about it.
Nah the theory in HSC Physics is definitely applicable to those who do further Physics.

The problem is that many people do PHYS1A and don't do anything more. That's where they say "oh it's nothing like HSC Physics" which I purely agree on. However you go on to do PHYS1B and some other courses which are actually related to the content from HSC. It's pretty much assumed that you know what happens with various laws.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Is missing an assignment mark of quiz marks in the calculation of your final grade common and is there any way to tell other than having a suspicion and asking them because the grade differed from what you expected?
You can generally only tell by suspicion or by asking the course convenor in person what you got for a certain component.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah meeting new people is just a matter of how much you connect with them. You can be productive with your work and also have a social life by hanging out with friends and going out to have lunch/dinner with them after an exam or a group study session or something.

You can also do the same with societies. You can gain a lot of skills whilst also meeting new people and having an active social life depending on the society and your commitment/involvement.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

gg rekt failed an assessment

Flop21

HSC

how tf is toga party already sold out, why did no one warn me it was so popular

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

how tf is toga party already sold out, why did no one warn me it was so popular
GLHF getting back home after toga party if you go

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC

I've found uni is a lot nicer with things to do and people to meet

for instance, i had lunch with my bestest favourite white female scisoc camper in the past week

we tried to figure out whether we could eat 20 chicken mcnuggets

the answer: we both can.
Didnt notice any white scisoc camp leader when i was there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)