UNSW interview news... (1 Viewer)

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Mystienu said:
lol. no. i'm totally fine with taking detours.
but disappointment is unavoidable nevertheless. Direct entry is always better than taking detours.
Lets talk about detours.

Mystienu

HSC
i don't think doing medical science purely for the purpose of getting into postgraduate med is suitable.... because there are currently shortage of employment oppotunities for graduates. Because what if they don't get into postgraduate med? :rolleyes:

What do you guys think?

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
i've got my backups

science (advanced) at syd and unsw - then i'll see what happens!

David_O

HSC
N/A
Sepulchres said:
Arent the bonded places offered afterward? :S

And plus, I dont think there is an *option*. Its like you apply for an unbonded place, if you dont make that cut off then those who are next in line(as in ranks) are offered a medical bonded place.
Nah you can actually set preferences for UNSW.

sovietski

HSC
nothing for me yet. but i am up the coast at port macquarie, so it may be a day or so longer perhaps?

tempco

HSC
Mystienu said:
i don't think doing medical science purely for the purpose of getting into postgraduate med is suitable.... because there are currently shortage of employment oppotunities for graduates. Because what if they don't get into postgraduate med? :rolleyes:

What do you guys think?
why do people even do medical science anyway? too many hours and it isn't related to medicine.

if you do plan on transferring, enrol in a degree you'll enjoy.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Yea I was thinking B.Science majorign in Anatomy? I dont know, havnt really thought about that. I might even take a year off.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sepulchres said:
Arent the bonded places offered afterward? :S

And plus, I dont think there is an *option*. Its like you apply for an unbonded place, if you dont make that cut off then those who are next in line(as in ranks) are offered a medical bonded place.
Wrong. You have to indicate that you are interested in receiving bonded and MRBS offers before they will consider you. This applies at all medical schools. What's more, most schools (such as UNSW) ask you to indicate the preferred order in which you would like to receive offers from amongst BMPS, MRBS and Commonwealth Supported places.

Zali

HSC
Im taking a year off even if i get in but if i still dont get in next year il just do somthing i enjoy try and get in again after 1st year and if still no luk then postgrad and if i still dont get in then i gess its not meant to b

Mystienu

HSC
anatomy is interesting and all... but if you are not going to make it into postgraduate med... what can you do with it really? you can't be a doctor.... only research and teaching i guess.... :rolleyes:

that's what i'm strugging with right now...
i don't really want to do research for the rest of my life.... it's hard to get funding too. a life filled with uncertainty.
becoming a university lecturer is okay... but i don't think i would want to become a secondary high school teacher. that would suck.

Zali

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Wrong. You have to indicate that you are interested in receiving bonded and MRBS offers before they will consider you. This applies at all medical schools. What's more, most schools (such as UNSW) ask you to indicate the preferred order in which you would like to receive offers from amongst BMPS, MRBS and Commonwealth Supported places.

yeah but u didnt hav to do this in the application form or through UAC did u? Do u do it if u get an interview?

tempco

HSC
well, my sis did b science/arts (psychology/english). if she didn't make the interviews (grad syd - she did), she could have done another year of psych honours and started practicing as a psychologist.

Mystienu

HSC
David_O said:
There's a 0.000000001% chance he was referring to the 'Master of Medicine' program :p
::haha:: sorry lexi. at least i'm not asking any dumb questions like.... What is UMAT

jennylim

HSC
nothing for me as yet. i have been refreshing my inbox all freaking day!!! lol. the thing is, it's like i have two paths of my life....one might just completely close up this week. the other one is an international studies/politics/law course which i am also passionately interested in.

but medicine is still my first preference, and deep down i really am wishing hard about it. i know there's always the GMP but that'll be harder to get into than undergrad med (IMO anyway...the maturity level they expect is WAY greater than for undergrad med students). and i really don't want to bank on doing it. so while it MIGHT happen, chances are that it WON'T and that my life might just take a direction very different from what i'd planned.

*sighs*

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
physician said:
hmm ... good pt... I had medical science at USYD as my first preference, although my second is B enginering/ B medical science at USYD... it's bound to change... im just glad I applied early, that's one thing less to worry about...

by the way...

if one is to do medical science... how exactly would u tranfer into medicine?
U have to complete the degree first right?... but what kind of marks do they look for? and would u have to have an interview...

oh and by the way if i did do the combined degree would i still be able to transfer into medicine?...
You may apply as an undergraduate throught the 3 years and then finally apply for *post*grad (lololol) courses at queensland, melbourne, etc.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
tempco said:
why do people even do medical science anyway? too many hours and it isn't related to medicine.

if you do plan on transferring, enrol in a degree you'll enjoy.
hmm ... good pt... I had medical science at USYD as my first preference, although my second is B enginering/ B medical science at USYD... it's bound to change... im just glad I applied early, that's one thing less to worry about...

by the way...

if one is to do medical science... how exactly would u tranfer into medicine?
U have to complete the degree first right?... but what kind of marks do they look for? and would u have to have an interview...

oh and by the way if i did do the combined degree would i still be able to transfer into medicine?...

Mystienu

HSC
Survey.:

hmm... so how many ppl got first round interviews from your school last year? (include name of school too.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)