UNSW Maths Comp, Westpac etc. (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
For current Year 12 students: What mark did you receive to squeeze into the distinction/high distinction/medal award out of 50 when you were in Year 11? I'm going to order past papers and just compare my mark and see if I'm capable, even though the cut off varies. Thanks.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, is it really worth that much to be practising for it? =\

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Hmmm, is it really worth that much to be practising for it? =\
Lol. I don't think so. I mean this is like an IQ test. You cannot really study for it. But studying wouldn't be a complete waste.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, and at our school, it's usually not the smarter people that come first in the grade. (Well, maybe it's just my school).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Yeah, and at our school, it's usually not the smarter people that come first in the grade. (Well, maybe it's just my school).
For mine, it definitely is. The guy who is coming first in maths is the guy who has come first in the maths for the last 5 years. :mad: (with his awesome array of prize money of 50 dollars in the past 4 years)

He just slowed down in MX1. :rolleyes:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
The people in my school that get HD and D are usually in the top maths classes..but the smartest person in maths doesnt neccesarily get HD

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wow, I never knew about the Prudence Award, or the Special Achievement Award. :D

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I knew about the Prudence Award but didn't know about Special Achievement.

shaon0

HSC
Without Wings said:
Just to clarify some of the percentages that other members have provided above, with accurate ones, here is the informatin from AMC:

AMC Awards/Certificates

It should also be noted that awards up to the level of cash prizes are decided by comparison only within the region and year level of the student. For example a student in a certain year in an Australian state or another country will only be compared for the purpose of a certificate or prize with other students in the same group. As a result there will be different cutoffs for awards between Australian states (which each have their own curriculum) and various countries. These cutoffs are not published because they may be prone to misleading interpretations.

PRIZE
A prize is awarded generally to no more that 1 student for every 300 students within their region and year group, the value of a prize depending on issues such as sponsorship money available.

HIGH DISTINCTION
A High Distinction Certificate is awarded to a student who has not received a higher award but is in the top 2% of their year and region (top 5% for Senior).

DISTINCTION
A Distinction Certificate is awarded to a student who has not received a higher award but is in the top 15% (25% for Senior) of their year and region.

CREDIT
A Credit Certificate is awarded to a student who has not received a higher award but is in the top 50% (60% for Senior) of their year and region.

PROFICIENCY IN MATHEMATICS SKILLS AND PROBLEM SOLVING
This Certificate is awarded to a student who has not received a Credit (or higher) certificate, but who has nonetheless received a satisfactory score indicating satisfactory competence at mathematics and problem solving with mathematics. Students who score 32 points are guaranteed at least this certificate, but this might be lower if the exam has been deemed to be more difficult in their year level. The score as determined in Australia becomes the benchmark score for awarding this certificate in other countries, and is typically a recognition that they have reached a satisfactory level of mathematical and problem solving skills by Australian standards.

This certificate is awarded for the first time in 2008.

PARTICIPATION
A Participation Certificate is awarded to a student who has not received a higher award but has participated in the AMC.

PRUDENCE AWARD
This will be awarded to the student in each school with the highest number of consecutive correct responses starting from question 1. If there is a tie more than one such prize can be awarded in a school.

In order for the prize to be awarded the school needs to have an entry of at least 50 students and the winner must have at least the first five answers correct.

Note, this replaces the former Special Achievement Award.

MEDAL
Each year the AMF Committee awards a number of medals to students at Secondary levels. The number allocated is about 1 for every 10,000 students entered. These are awarded on the judgement of the committee to students who are outstanding within their region (Australian State or Territory or other country), within their year group and internationally. Within a region and year group is generally interpreted as meaning that no more than three such students can be deemed to be outstanding. If it is necessary to distinguish ties, including perfect scores, a second round of the competition shall be held, generally within six weeks of the main round. A prize, whose value will depend on such issues as sponsorship, is normally awarded to a medallist.

Source
Has anyone on BoS got a medal....
I used to participate in the UNSW Maths comp. until Year 7 but then i stopped for since i got a Distinction and then didn't want to do it anymore.
Is Westpac harder? I haven't actually done the test for westpac.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
kurt.physics said:
It depends on which Olympiad you are speaking about.

There is really 2 'Olympiads'. The first i will talk about is the Science one.

The Science Olympiad is just the name given to the combination of the Physics, Chemistry and Biology Olympiads. They are all separate Olympiads, each with a different, but similar, way to get in. In year 11 (and lower years for gifted students) there is a test called the NQE (national qualifying exam). This test is free and anyone can take it, but most teachers really just pick the top 4-10 students in their class (be it Physics, Biology or Chemistry) if they even know about the contest.

The exam is one of the most challenging you ever have had in each field. It stretches your ability and requires you to understand the subject fundamentally. The syllabus is roughly based on Year 11 but the competition includes Year 12 and sometimes University material (really just advanced stuff on what you've done in class). It is 2 hours long.

If you range in the top roughly 21 people in the exam over the nation you will be invited to attend the camp over the Christmas holidays. So 21 people get selected for Physics, 21 for Chemistry and 21 for Biology. The camp is in Canberra. The camp covers the first year of University in the field you qualified for, and this is done over 2 weeks! There is, i think, 2 tests, one per week and a final selection test for who will be going to the International Olympiad (in either Physics, Chem or Bio).

The International Olympiad (IPhO, IChO and IBO) is the hardest competition for High School students in those fields. The team has 6 members for each Olympiad. They are held in different countries each year. This year the International Physics Olympiad is in Vietnam, the International Chemistry Olympiad is in Germany and the International Biology Olympiad is in India.
That's what I want for Chemistry and perhaps Physics. :eek:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Coninuum, are you registered for the NQE's in Physics and Chem this year?

shaon0

HSC
I would try for NQEs but my school does not offer it to anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)