UNSW Med Sci 08: ROLL CALL! (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hi Tim,

That's awesome news, despite my late entry, congratulations on your extremely good mark! It's so very hard to obtain full marks in Microbiology, I don't know why...

Interesting...haha I've never done that Sak..something test, well at the very least you don't have any tests in the meantime which is good :D

Tim035

HSC
Hey, havn't been on these forums for a couple of weeks; only occured to me now that I'm getting my head back together for another semester.
Just though I'd say a quick thanks especially to survivor and Rekkusu for helping me in Micro last semester, it ended up being my highest subjects with a mark of 90 which I'am over the moon about!

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
diamond*dreams* said:
so it's very very...very...very... very...very competitve. Particularly coz some got very high UAIs are feel cheated out of med...like the OP.:p:D:D
Not true! If my marks didn't quite hit the mark, it'd be unfair of me to blame it on anything else and feel "cheated". Besides, there's nothing quite like a good challenge to sink your teeth into! :rofl: (Session one results have transformed me into the freakin' Easter bunny... huzzah!)

If anything, I've changed my tune. For the sake of educational integrity, I feel that the B Med Sci lateral transfer scheme should be abolished. Or at least modified. Or something. (Have I opened up a can of worms? Possibly. I'm eating my words here. Oh, the shame.) Too many of the first year students are forgetting that that the program is sometimes-- shock horror!-- stimulating and worth being interested in. It's pretty strange to meet a student who professes their burning desire to study medicine yet can't click with the courses after settling in. Mediocre marks and/or falling asleep might be a yellow flag warning that medicine isn't quite the episode of House they thought it would be. After all, medicine is just one of many applications of medical science. It doesn't take a cardiothoracic surgeon to figure out why graduate schools try to cram in as much of the science as possible into the preclinical years.

There are plenty of competitive graduate medical programs all around Australia. In terms of facilitating the demand for graduate medical education, the fifteen provisional spots on offer at UNSW are an unremarkable contribution for a program which calls for such exceptional admission requirements.

On the other hand, if you're, you know, anal-retentive about spending seven years AND ONLY SEVEN!! at uni and you'll have self-esteem issues because your "Ba Med Sci MBBS" will lack the (Hon) if you graduate from, say, the UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, then by all means.

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
TheMelissa said:
Not true! If my marks didn't quite hit the mark, it'd be unfair of me to blame it on anything else and feel "cheated". Besides, there's nothing quite like a good challenge to sink your teeth into! :rofl: (Session one results have transformed me into the freakin' Easter bunny... huzzah!)

If anything, I've changed my tune. For the sake of educational integrity, I feel that the B Med Sci lateral transfer scheme should be abolished. Or at least modified. Or something. (Have I opened up a can of worms? Possibly. I'm eating my words here. Oh, the shame.) Too many of the first year students are forgetting that that the program is sometimes-- shock horror!-- stimulating and worth being interested in. It's pretty strange to meet a student who professes their burning desire to study medicine yet can't click with the courses after settling in. Mediocre marks and/or falling asleep might be a yellow flag warning that medicine isn't quite the episode of House they thought it would be. After all, medicine is just one of many applications of medical science. It doesn't take a cardiothoracic surgeon to figure out why graduate schools try to cram in as much of the science as possible into the preclinical years.

There are plenty of competitive graduate medical programs all around Australia. In terms of facilitating the demand for graduate medical education, the fifteen provisional spots on offer at UNSW are an unremarkable contribution for a program which calls for such exceptional admission requirements.

On the other hand, if you're, you know, anal-retentive about spending seven years AND ONLY SEVEN!! at uni and you'll have self-esteem issues because your "Ba Med Sci MBBS" will lack the (Hon) if you graduate from, say, the UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, then by all means.
I had to laugh from having experienced it first hand, these individuals who claim to have a burning desire for medicine, yet have a hard time retaining consciousness in any lecture.
I'm guessing 'a freak' probabley means you've accomplished a 1st semester WAM within the level of high distinction? If so congratz! and good luck for this semester, Stats is very easy, Anat isinteresting but you need to be able to remember endless lists of names and their location, chem is well... just a continuation of first semester, BIOS is ZZZzzz, but I've got a feeling you've probabley enrolled in the genetics course.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Tim035 said:
I had to laugh from having experienced it first hand, these individuals who claim to have a burning desire for medicine, yet have a hard time retaining consciousness in any lecture.
I'm guessing 'a freak' probabley means you've accomplished a 1st semester WAM within the level of high distinction? If so congratz! and good luck for this semester, Stats is very easy, Anat isinteresting but you need to be able to remember endless lists of names and their location, chem is well... just a continuation of first semester, BIOS is ZZZzzz, but I've got a feeling you've probabley enrolled in the genetics course.
Hahaha thanks. I'm looking forward to session two. I did take up the genetics course because someone mentioned frog dissection. It's all heresay so if anybody knows what's actually involved in the labs, please enlighten me!

UNSW Handbook said:
BIOS2021
Genome structure and life cycles in prokaryotes and eukaryotes: DNA, gene mapping, cytogenics; genetic transmission, mutation, recombination; gene regulation, interaction and development; genetic variation and evolution of molecules, populations and species: mating, selection, migration, population size, mutation, environment; applications, including to humans and genetic engineering.
If the handbook speaks the truth, it looks interesting. Prior to babs, I'd never been anywhere near biology since I've always thought of it as the "soft" science. I'm not sure if taking up genetics is the best thing to do. On the other hand, BIOS1101 just seems like an even less of a challenge that BABS1201... You know, if that's possible. :lol:

joshuaali

HSC
TheMelissa said:
Hahaha thanks. I'm looking forward to session two. I did take up the genetics course because someone mentioned frog dissection. It's all heresay so if anybody knows what's actually involved in the labs, please enlighten me!

If the handbook speaks the truth, it looks interesting. Prior to babs, I'd never been anywhere near biology since I've always thought of it as the "soft" science. I'm not sure if taking up genetics is the best thing to do. On the other hand, BIOS1101 just seems like an even less of a challenge that BABS1201... You know, if that's possible. :lol:
I thought HSC Biology was a prerequisite to gaining an exemption for BIOS1101 (and thus enrolment into BIOS2021). :O

And why did you use "quite"? In italics too?!

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
joshuaali said:
I thought HSC Biology was a prerequisite to gaining an exemption for BIOS1101 (and thus enrolment into BIOS2021). :O

And why did you use "quite"? In italics too?!
Italics! For emphasis!

I thought a 75+ in BABS was sufficient for exemption from BIOS1101?! Short of threatening me with a non-award, I'm staying where I am! 1101 sounds so painfully tame.

joshuaali

HSC
TheMelissa said:
Italics! For emphasis!

I thought a 75+ in BABS was sufficient for exemption from BIOS1101?! Short of threatening me with a non-award, I'm staying where I am! 1101 sounds so painfully tame.
Nah, the online handbook says you needed to have completed HSC Biology, but meh, if I was in your position, I'd stay in Genetics anyway until/unless they kick you out, lol.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Normally you need to have done HSC Biology and score 75+ in BABS1201/BIOS1201 to get approval to enrol in BIOS2021/2621. However, I'm sure if you've topped BABS1201/BIOS1201 or scored a HD average they would be happy to enrol you in BIOS2021/2621.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Normally you need to have done HSC Biology and score 75+ in BABS1201/BIOS1201 to get approval to enrol in BIOS2021/2621. However, I'm sure if you've topped BABS1201/BIOS1201 or scored a HD average they would be happy to enrol you in BIOS2021/2621.
Slightly miffed. I'm at uni today so I'll go talk to BEES but I've got this sinking feeling I'll have to do 1101. *grumbles* I took a look at the course manuals for genetics-- it looks good.

Ahh. The library still smells of stale food... :lol:

Tim035

HSC
Most people I know found the genetics course pretty bland, largely it involves statistics and equations for determining frequency of certain genotypes etc etc..
BIOS1011 (unless they've changed what its called) you just have to grit your teeth and get through the plant material, but once that is over you'll find the last section has some nice overlap with anatomy; and the end of session exam is only multiple choice which last year wasn't overly difficult at all.

I already have a feeling molecular biology isn't going to be my forte, I was also hoping to try and get through my undergrad degree without taking a course that makes you draw mind maps before each prac. But atleast no wet prac exam :D

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Tim035 said:
Most people I know found the genetics course pretty bland, largely it involves statistics and equations for determining frequency of certain genotypes etc etc..
BIOS1011 (unless they've changed what its called) you just have to grit your teeth and get through the plant material, but once that is over you'll find the last section has some nice overlap with anatomy; and the end of session exam is only multiple choice which last year wasn't overly difficult at all.

I already have a feeling molecular biology isn't going to be my forte, I was also hoping to try and get through my undergrad degree without taking a course that makes you draw mind maps before each prac. But atleast no wet prac exam :D
Turns out it is possible to do BIOS2021 without prior studies-- the only prerequisite is a minimum of 24CP from Session 1. In any case, I've decided to do BIOS1011. (Besides, MCQ final exam? And the winner is 1011. :p)

I haven't been to any classes yet-- been hanging out in the library doing UMAT work. The most of the year had their first anatomy prac today... *jealous*

mixt

HSC
I'm not sure of which textbook to get for anatomy: Grey's or Mariebs or Grey's for Students, which did you guys get?

and the colouring book is either wtf lame or wtf useful.. i havent quite decided yet

EDIT: Also Snell's Clinical Anat., and Moore's Clinical Anat... all roughyl $120 each

Last edited:

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
mixt said:
I'm not sure of which textbook to get for anatomy: Grey's or Mariebs or Grey's for Students, which did you guys get?

and the colouring book is either wtf lame or wtf useful.. i havent quite decided yet

EDIT: Also Snell's Clinical Anat., and Moore's Clinical Anat... all roughyl $120 each
I did some asking around and some book browsing and I'd rec Snell's Clinical Anatomy by Systems-- available at the library. Save $60 and invest in Netter's flash cards and CD-self tests instead. :p

Tim035

HSC
I would say for anatomy, borrow textbooks from the library if / when you need them. Buy the spot test disk from the student help office, and use the lecture notes.
Unless your planning on an anatomy major, there really isn't much point in spend $100+ on a textbook. I mainly just looked in atlas's from time to time when I wasn't sure where an exact structure actually sat etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)