UNSW Shanghainese Society!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miserychick

Originally posted by Link:

"I don't see the point of this "Shanghainese Society", especially when there is already a Chinese society - it's as though the members of this SSS are think of themselves as too elite to devote their efforts to the already established Chinese Society (and obviously want to create some sort of division). Hence you'll see why this society will last around 1-2 years maximum, and have a tiny membership base."

"There is a difference between badmouthing and questioning. I'm ready to have my views changed."

"Look it's just a reputation. I'm Shang myself, and I'm already sick of the Shangs who act as though they are better than other Chinese (I'm NOT directing this to anyone in this thread). I think introducing Shang-interest groups within ChinSoc is a good idea, so then other Chinese members can get to know more about Shanghai. "

"I don't think they intended it to be a group that would discriminate, I just think that's the way a lot of non-Shang Chinese people will see it, especially due to the way in which Shanghai is already seen as the "rich" area of China. This society isn't a subset of ChinSoc - they're going it alone."

----
Hey link .. shocked that i actually posted again? Anyway i have a question for you. Since you are ready to have your mind changed after all.

So you say that you are "sick of the shangs who act as tho they are better than other chinese" yet this is not directed at anyone in this thread.

These guys trying to start this society aren't the enemy mate. They are just trying to get some people together, network and who knows - have fun at the same time. Because they so happened to call their society the "Shanghainese Society" doesn't mean they embody these arrogant traits you are sick of. It's merely a label and i dont think you should automatically judge them by that title. And how does that title tell you that they "will last around 1-2 years maximum, and have a tiny membership base." ??

I don't get it. One minute you say they "are obviously trying to create some sort of division" and the next you say "I don't think they intended it to be a group that would discriminate". Can you please clarify for the slow ones like me .. what it is exactly that you do think?

Here is a group of guys .. first year students .. trying to fit in and adjust to uni life. They want to start a society to meet new people and have fun. They decide to call their society the "Shanghainese Society". Oh dear. There is already a "Chinese society" so this attempt at creating a new society is outrageous and definately an attempt to show they think they are better than others. Please.

Bottom line is these guys wanna create a society. So be it. Can't you respect their choice and let them be? Why are so passionate about picking apart something they are trying to put together?

Shawny

on another note, i think link ur taking this bit too seroius buddy

if u dun like it, dun worri bout it, but dun stop otehrs from doing what they want yeah?

i mean no ones forcing u to like it or join really are they?
so dun worri bout it man

sensible post no. 2.5

Link

Originally posted by Miserychick
These guys trying to start this society aren't the enemy mate. They are just trying to get some people together, network and who knows - have fun at the same time. Because they so happened to call their society the "Shanghainese Society" doesn't mean they embody these arrogant traits you are sick of. It's merely a label and i dont think you should automatically judge them by that title.
As I said, I don't think they embody these traits (why I said it was NOT directed at anyone in this thread), I guess it's just due to current perceptions they might be seen this way by non-Shang Chinese, and encouraging non-Shang members to join doesn't cut it - I think they should apply to be a subset of Chinese Society, or as an interest group within it. I think about it this way - say there's a Japan Society and Japanese students join it. Then out of nowhere, a Tokyo Student Society emerges - how do you think the non-Tokyo students feel? How do you think the Japan Society would feel?

And how does that title tell you that they "will last around 1-2 years maximum, and have a tiny membership base." ??
Due to the fact that societies with a relatively small membership base are booted out by the union after 1-2 years, and SSS won't expand to anything huge (I don't think anyone will deny this).

I don't get it. One minute you say they "are obviously trying to create some sort of division" and the next you say "I don't think they intended it to be a group that would discriminate". Can you please clarify for the slow ones like me .. what it is exactly that you do think?
As I said above, I'm willing to have my mind changed (and I have during this thread - I don't think they set out to cause discrimination).

Bottom line is these guys wanna create a society. So be it. Can't you respect their choice and let them be? Why are so passionate about picking apart something they are trying to put together?
Look, they're going to have this society whether I like it or not - that doesn't matter. I guess I'm just telling them what they might come across, seing as though I already know people in ChinSoc (the ones who told me about SSS) who were disappointed, as they see it as going against ChinSoc's efforts to bring together Chinese students (as they weren't even consulted) regardless of their city/state of origin.

Peace \o/ and good luck to you SSS - please keep what I've said to you in mind :)

Link

Originally posted by Shawny
if u dun like it, dun worri bout it, but dun stop otehrs from doing what they want yeah?

i mean no ones forcing u to like it or join really are they?
so dun worri bout it man
nah it's cool man, no more flaming, I just wanna give suggestions

santaslayer

HSC
hey, maybe if you put down goals, mission statemants etc and what you would like to do with the Shang society down on paper (or on this forum) other people would be more willing to accept the new society if they feel it is reasonable?

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by Silver_Panda
you dunn hav 2 b in unsw 2 join...=D
Haha maybe then I'll join ................. dode have I seen ya somewhere?? Anyways keep me informed ........................ Its too hard to start a shang club at Wollongong not enough shangs that are willing to goin!!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by crazylilmonkee
i'll start banana society
oh can i join? i like bananas!

on an unrelated note, im viet but i joined HKSS. so can i join SSS? how much is the joining fee? what are the benefits? and what do you guys do?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
hey, maybe if you put down goals, mission statemants etc and what you would like to do with the Shang society down on paper (or on this forum) other people would be more willing to accept the new society if they feel it is reasonable?
i think this is a brilliant suggestion...i mean all this hype about this non-existent society. lots of talk but no action...i want to see my prospectus! :D:p

is a roflcopter
HSC
can i do the accounting and auditing?

Shawny

the president of shangsoc is given teh title
Supreme Shang

the vice is
the ultimate shang

i wanna be chief of staff

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
i think this is a brilliant suggestion...i mean all this hype about this non-existent society. lots of talk but no action...i want to see my prospectus! :D:p
i reckon......

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
oh oh! i always wanted to start a shang club too! but im too involved in mq's actuarial soc.

uno wat? ur shang club should do joint events wiv mq's actuarial soc coz we're all shang anyway!

oh and also, u guys can have annual competitions wiv the hk club wiv categories such as whose got the tallest skyscrapers, whose got more skyscrapers, and whose building the tallest skyscrapers ^^

^___^
HSC
malashit, i'll join ur shang club in MQ if u decide to start one ;)

it could be a great way to meet shiny eyes too ;)

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
ok my post got lost back in the first page and i think i may have catalysed this whole argument/flaming
if you look back, in no way was i being racist, i just didnt understand completely

now the points given by the future founding members of the SSS have given a valid point, that it brings together ppl of the same culture/interests/hobbies..but if you think about it, what do you guys really have in common. culture. plain and simple, you were raised/born there. after that, your interests and hobbies can be totally random from just chilling and playing pool to having a fetish in seeing how many plates you can balance on your nose.
having being in an asian school and a what is perceived to the public as a asian uni, i see a lot of conversations start with a coutesy hello, and then a follow up question that asks what country they are from. if it matches with what you are, then they get excited and get talking and whateva. if it doesnt matter, its acknowledged and ppl go their seperate ways.
now i know this doenst apply for EVERYONE, but it has been observed a LOT on my part.

but at the end of the day, im still confused, if someone shares the same interests as you and is from a copmletely different part of the world to you, why isnt it ok to be friends with them, not just friends, GOOD friends. and don't say you do have good white friends, coz i do see ruka walkin around uni with assumingly shang and most definitely asian folk. and i'll find it hard to believe if you say you cant find any non shang/asian folk that share your interests to the bone - we are in a uni of 30/40,000 ppl, theres bound to be one non shang/asian bloke to have interests similar

and also, you guys have a strong shang-friend network anyway. you guys claim that you are bringign together ppl of similar interests (which again i stress, just because u come from the same country it doesnt neccesarily mean you share the same interests), however what do you guys do...mainly hold a few functions, dance parties etcetc, and what results, a couple hookups and what not. the founders stay close firneds coz they were friends int he first place, you meet some of the ppl that join up only never to really go out with them, maybe a hi and a game of hacky in the quad, but not real going out on the weekend friend material

im just..confused

Last edited:

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC

Here is a group of guys .. first year students .. trying to fit in and adjust to uni life. They want to start a society to meet new people and have fun. [/B]
see i respect that.
BUT! (there always seems to be one doesnt there? :p )
its a shanghainese society, so generally its aimed towards shanghainese although others are welcome.
although, im sure if i called a meetup of *insert race/province here* in the quad on the monday it would seem a bit discriminatory. itd be like, hey everyone, we are having a XXXX meeting, doesnt matter if you are XXXX or YYYY, just come to meet new ppl.
to the ppl who ARENT XXXX, they will be a bit taken aback and intimidated and most likely wont show up unless they alreayd have friends going.

its just, lets take the Circusoc, their common INTEREST is circus activities. the anime club well..love watching their anime. having a race club doesnt lead you to common interests. just a common holiday destination really.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
i have been busy the past few days and i dont particularly like being accused of me accusing people of being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)