UNSW Subject Reviews. (1 Viewer)

tambam

HSC
Should I do MARK1012 or INFS1062? which is easier??
I would say MARK1012 although I haven't personally done it. stay away from INFS1602 if you can though, stupid subject in general - waste of time, bad lecturers and tutors, too much theory to learn, boring content, assignment takes forever to complete and if you're stuck with bad people then gg, negative marking in final etc.

but if you plan on completing CPA, then you'll need INFS1602
Haven't done INFS1602, but what you've described pretty much sounds like marketing. Marking criteria is pedantic and very subjective, and the only good thing is that the final was pretty easy because it was mostly multiple choice repeated from past papers/practice quizzes.

inJust

HSC
Is FINS1613 that bad? *referring to people before**

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's pretty bland. If you like finance you might like it but... I found it absolutely boring. The content was so dry, you learn about bonds and pricing and stuff... the maths was a joke (then again most if not all maths in Finance courses is a joke) - and... yeah. Only saving grace was the maths, which meant I could just learn the formulas and then derive the answers using them if it asked a theoretical question.

HSC
Uni Grad
Is FINS1613 that bad? *referring to people before**
If you have kyung hwan shim, FINS1613 becomes horrible. For this sem though, you should be good because the lecturer who's taking FINS1613 (who also took it in sem 1 2012) tends to be quite easy with questions and sets a pretty easy final (copies past paper questions).

Last edited:

inJust

HSC
If you have kyung hwan shim, FINS1613 becomes horrible. For this sem though, you should be good because the lecturer who's taking FINS1613 (who also took it in sem 1 2012) tends to be quite easy with questions and all that.
Yeah well that really scared me considering they're all whining about it.... I dont plan on doing it til semester 1 2014 anyway, cos I'm doing the other electives first. Gonna leave it last with marketing.

HSC
Uni Grad
Plus, as what shadowdude said. Maths is piss easy but sometimes the questions can be fucking crazy because they're very different to past paper questions and that you have 20 min for each quiz. Also, some of the questions in the MC have ridiculous selections of answers too =_=

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh, and the one thing I especially hated about FINS1613 is multiple choice answers being worth like 9 marks.

In the final exam, there were about five or so multiple choice questions worth 3 to 9 marks. I mean, 25% chance of getting 9 marks free just for guessing? And if you rounded wrong or anything, you had to guess and you could lose 9 marks because of something trivial like not rounding or rounding which could skew answers?

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Is there a guide depicting fairly detailed contents of subjects? The outlines provided on the handbook are brief and do not give substantial insight on the topic. From the looks of this thread, most people are caught unaware by the true nature of their courses

D94

HSC
N/A
Is there a guide depicting fairly detailed contents of subjects? The outlines provided on the handbook are brief and do not give substantial insight on the topic. From the looks of this thread, most people are caught unaware by the true nature of their courses
There are course outlines available, they should tell you what is covered each week or lecture. Some are more specific than others, most have references to textbooks.

Also, even if people are "caught unaware", chances are that subject is a compulsory subject, so there's not much you can do about it.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
PHYS1121 (Physics 1A)
Ease: 4/10. The phys labs are absolute hell to go through. They give us 3 hours of work to do in 2 hours, then take off 1 mark out of 10 if we don't finish 20 MINUTES early. Biggest joke of a class. Luckily the two worst labs aren't counted. WebAssign quizzes can go die in a hole, most people used the cheat sheet (which I only found out about with one quiz left to go :mad: ) so you were extremely disadvantaged if you did it on your own. Final was very difficult, I came out of it thinking I just passed, and I did (just).
Content:6/10. It's mostly just the boring stuff from HSC Physics, without anything cool like semiconductors, CRTs, superconductors and nuclear physics. The theremodynamics and the "science of music" stuff at the end redeemed it a little though, I found that interesting.
Lecturers:Webb 4/10. BORING. Just read of the slides in a monotone voice.
Burton 8/10. Much, much better, did cool experiments, had a better accent, didn't read off the slides and seemed genuinely interested.
Overall: 5/10. Awful subject. Made me loathe physics (which I thought impossible). Glad I'm not doing 1B this semester.
may i ask ? what is the the cheat sheet btw ? where can i get it ?

smik11

HSC
How hard is Econ1202 - Quantitive Analysis for Business and Economics comparing to Econ1101,1102 and 1203

aerox11

HSC
I'm a student from Germany and I'm studying business administration.
My focus is economics and I'm doing some int. management and supply chain management courses in Germany.
In July i want to start my study abroad semester at the UNSW.

e there any "easy" courses which you could recommend to get good grades? My goal is at least 75 % in each subject.
In my case I can not write perfect assignments in English because we have never done it before at University only in german language.
One classmate was last year at the UNSW and he joined the courses

ECON2111_Introduction_to_Development_Economics
ECON2127_Environmental_Economics

both with more than 80%

I find these courses interesting:
ECON1401 Economic Analysis
Econ1203: Business and Economic Statistics
Econ1202: Quantitative Analysis for Business and Economics

mark1012
mgmt1001

Which courses would you recommend a study abroad student?

Please give me feedback
thanks

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Astronomy is an easy course but there is a high demand for it

for gen ed and if you're not good at maths, marketing and management sounds good

Last edited:

aerox11

HSC
with astronomy you mean*PHYS1160?

i heard that marketing and management is about writing a lot of essays.
And I am not so familiar to write a perfect essay and compete against native speakers.

Are there any other reviews about the subjects? havent found anything
ECON2322 The New Europe
ECON4102 Strategic Market Behaviour and Government Regulation
ECON4350 Special Topics in Economics
ECON2103 Business and Government

Midori-Days

HSC
Semester 1, 2013

ECON1102:
Difficulty: 5/10 Takes alot of effort to actually get revision done..since homework takes 5 minutes..and there's only one midsession test..so by the time you get to the exam, and if you're like me and dont revise...you get screwed...but overall not too hard but definitely dont recommend cramming in 1-2 days.
Lecturer: 8/10 Only went to like five lectures with that European chick..she cool she cool...
Interest: 1/10 What can I say? I chose the wrong elective
Overall: 1/10 Microeconomics was much much better

FINS1613:
Difficulty: 7/10 The difficulty cranks up from the second quiz onwards where they begin to mix words around to confuse you with the terms and such. Tricky.
Lecturer: 7/10 Apple Guy and 5/10 Asian Guy - nothing to say about either of them, they're alright
Interest: 5/10 Ngeh.
Overall: 6/10 Expected more from this course.

ENGG1811:
Difficulty: 3/10 With a programming background...this was rather easy for me...However, if computing is not your strength or you have never touched base with programming, then be prepared to work alot on coding... First 3 weeks = Excel (easy), 4th week = Access (easyish), 5th week to 10th week = VisualBasic (you better study), 11th to End = IPT (easy, rote learning)
Lecturer: 10/10 Chun Tung Chou (if that's how you spell it) and Angela Finlayson, they were both good. Although the asian dude had dat accent..he was able to relay information and explain better than Angela..but both were great
Interest: 7/10
Overall: 9/10

ENGG1000:
Difficulty: 0/10 Heh, this might be hard if you have a bad team. With all them fobs 'n' stuff
Lecturer: -/10 Skipped em all
Interest: 0/10 Boring + I had this cunt in my group
Overall: 5/10 <-- only cuz i got good marks

plasticities

HSC
PHSL2101 Physiology 1A
Ease: 7/10 Theory is pretty straight forward (except for a couple of tricky topics that will require a bit extra work). In labs I found it a bit hard to understand what was happening (make sure you prepare every week for the pop lab quizzes, they'll test really specific things, so make sure you know your shit).
Interest: 9/10 A lot on the major systems like cardiovascular, muscle and nervous. Personally I found it really good.
Lecturers: 6/10 Probably take with a grain of salt since I didn't go to most of the lectures (though I did listen to them just before the final).
Overall: 8/10 Do the past papers, though also make sure you learn a lot of the other content since for the mid semester exam, they deviated totally from previous trends in questions. Try not to lose marks in the lab and the online feedback quizzes are the easiest marks you'll ever get.

ANAT2111 Introductory Anatomy
Ease: 7/10 Mostly rote learning. I found I learnt the most in the labs, since you actually get to see what you're learning about.
Interest: 8/10 Again you cover the major systems, starting with skeletal and muscular all the way to digestive and reproductive. A very nice broad introduction to anatomy.
Lecturers: 5/10 Not really engaging, usually fell asleep.
Overall: 8/10 If you don't do well in the first spot test, don't despair. It seems like a pretty common trend that people will do better in the second spot test. Definitely take advantage of the revision sessions since you'll get to see the actual specimens and ask the lab demos questions. Try to prepare as much as you can beforehand though, it allows you to make use of your time so much better. For the final, learn thoroughly the insertion, origin and actions of muscle. They'll be used a lot in multiple choice and learn how to integrate different systems in one area.

ARTS2363 Chinese Philosophy
Ease: 9/10 I did this as one of my gen eds. The content itself can be hard to wrap your head around, but if you can think about the concepts critically and question them, you should be able to do well in the assessments.
Interest: 9/10 I really wanted to do a philosophy course (ideally first year) so I was really interested in the thought process and how they analysed things. It stretches your mind and opens you up to new ways of interpretation plus gives you more understanding into schools of thought like Confucianism, Mohism, Daosim, Legalism and Buddhism.
Lecturers: 10/10 Karyn Lai is really engaging and passionate about this course (as it's her speciality). She promotes class engagement and makes the content applicable to contemporary society.
Overall: 9/10 It's a really specific gen ed, but don't be afraid to try it. Also, don't be afraid to choose your own topic for the research essay, it allows you to really look deeper into a concept or school that you found interesting during the course. Also, the weekly blogs are easy marks, but for some reason the average was low. As long as you do the reading every week, think of a good question (submitted on time) and engage in discussions with other people you should be able to get full marks.

ARTS2363 Europe in Turmoil: Renaissance to Revolutions
Ease: 5/10 I'm not a history buff but I thought this sounded like an interesting gen ed. However, during the tutorial discussions I found myself pretty lost sometimes. A lot of the other students seem to have a lot of background understanding and interest that made it hard to keep up. Also a lot of it is interpreting sources which requires good analytical skills.
Interest: 7/10 They had new topics for each lecture, ranging from Napoleon Bonaparte to religious reformation.
Lecturers: 10/10 Hamish Graham is a really engaging lecturer/tutor. Not only will he encourage you to participate but he makes the classes enjoyable and not so monotonous.
Overall: 6/10 I found the weekly readings really boring. However, there was no research required. All your assessments have sources provided which is nice, and the final exam, while closed book, allows you to pre write your essay.

Donutsmandm55

HSC
Has anyone done ECON2126 - Principles of Experimental & Behavioural Economics? No one has done a review on it. I'm considering it because i have interest in behavioral stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)