UNSW vs USYD for computer science (1 Viewer)

noctua

HSC
I'm tossing up between both and have no clue which one is better so can you guys please give me a quick idea of which one is more reputable, has a better overall course and has higher chances of getting jobs after graduation. Thanks peeps :)

turntaker

HSC
Is comp sci even worth it. Some say its dying LOL

turntaker

HSC
I think UNSW is better..
but
I am scared that indian developers will take our jobs

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
This attitude is a product of fear mongering. Good developers are in extremely high demand and have been for a long time. If you are a good developer, your job can never be replaced by some shitty Indian developer hacking away in a PHP sweatshop.

So is there demand for more software engineers/comp scientist
This question doesn't make sense. "Computer scientist" isn't a job title (though some CS researchers may call themselves computer scientists). Most people who study computer science go on to become software engineers. CS and SE degrees will both get you to the same place, though they differ slightly in course content.

Oh and to answer the actual question, they're both excellent unis and I wouldn't say that one is objectively worse than the other. I think UNSW usually ranks slightly higher in the popular CS education rankings, but e.g. if you wanted to study NLP USyd would be the obvious choice.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think UNSW is better..
but
Wouldn't suspect it to be really an issue.

Simple run-of-the-mill work could be outsourced but the real high value stuff shouldn't be unaffected. From what I've read on the internet, it's a lucrative market if you have a comprehensive understanding of the work.

Loads of systems have been developed in an ad-hoc manner and they need people who can reconcile those issues. It will take a while for graduates in India to develop those higher-level skills.

noctua

HSC
I understand that even though not all jobs (attained after completing computer science) some can be outsourced. But would such problems of outsourcing incur for computer engineers?
In terms of job prosperity, is doing a computer engineering course better than doing a computer science course?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Add this to the list as well. http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/06/this-is-how-you-visualize-the-value-of-a-college-science-degree/

There's a constant global shortage of GOOD Computer Scientists/SENGs/CompEngs out there. Why do you think code.org is an actual thing now?

Also, to answer this thread, I'm going to have to go with UNSW from what I've seen and heard, but USyd is pretty good too [with the Comp Sci Major obv], (USyd get to play with Arduinos in their first year). If you're a university student from another university, you can also access ELEC1601. Here's a video and some screenshots from USyd's ELEC1601

[video=youtube_share;p8r_8hfUz5k]http://youtu.be/p8r_8hfUz5k[/video]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)