Updating vbelletin on bos? (1 Viewer)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I believe that to upgrade vbulletin you have to purchase a new version, so there may not be an update for some time.

I_F

sladehk

le random
HSC
i thought you just pay a lesser price for an upgrade

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
We haven't upgraded yet primarily for two reasons:

1. Our vBulletin licence has expired and will need to be renewed for entitlement to upgrades.

2. We'll have to redo all of our custom hacks and template changes, which will take time.

Hopefully it'll happen sometime over the summer break.

HSC
politik said:
I'd much rather see bos move to Invision, its better in many ways. The intial outlay will be US$185.00 and a few hours of downtime to convert the database, but I think its worth it.

On vBulletin, i'd love to see ' vBChat v2.3' installed on our forum. It would remove the need for #hsc and give an easier way for the community to chat.
You left #csh out man, come on play nice; surely it'd be pointless too :) What's with all the vilifying, etc, etc :(

There isn't really a "need" the channel in the first place, it serves no defined purpose other than somewhere for people to hang out and chat, have fun and kill some time (Or get banned, in your case). As such, efforts to render us redundant are somewhat pointless, as there are already loads of chatrooms in existence which serve the same purpose, and the userbase of the channel are likely to continue visiting regardless of alternatives. Good day to you sir!

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
I don't think u need to redo ur custom hacks and template changes as it is still vbulletin 3?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
No, I wasn't talking about Invision.

The code behind vB 3.5 is, in some cases, quite different to that used in vB 3.0.x.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
man some forums, their mods just download it off bittorent

Unfortunately, if you get caught with an illegal copy of vBulletin, nasty things happen to you, your board, and your reputation, and I doubt the BoS admins want that.

can u get a blogger into vbulletin?

With a lot of fiddling, you can create a semi-blog option by creating a new forum and essentially using topics posted in that as blogs. There's a thread on it at the vBulletin forums here, although it seems a very complex process that only gives a pale imitation of a true blog.

EDIT: politik's solution will work as well, although BoS will have to re-register and update vBulletin to access the hack.

I_F

Last edited:

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
yeah but the fact that invision has an option of unlimited updating, that means u'll never have to pay again :)
:D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Invision and vBulletin are essentially the same anyway, there's no point changing software.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Who gives a shit. A forum doesn't need one, nor does it need those arcade games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)