US bans Vegemite (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
THE United States has slapped a ban on Vegemite, outraging Australian expatriates there.
The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.

Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Former Geelong man Daniel Fogarty, who now lives in Calgary, Canada, said he was stunned when searched while crossing the US border recently.

"The border guard asked us if we were carrying any Vegemite," Mr Fogarty said.

"I was flabbergasted." Paul Watkins, who owns a store called About Australia in San Antonio, Texas, said he had been forced to stop importing Vegemite six months ago.

"We have completely stopped bringing it in," he said.

"(US authorities) have made a stance and there is nothing that can be done about it."
Source.

HSC
:O Stupid Americans!

And folate IS actually good for you... especially for pregnant women.

T

Testpilot

chocolate_lover said:
And folate IS actually good for you... especially for pregnant women.
Thats what i thought, and why i didn't understand the banning.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Given the relatively low amount of folate in vegemite (about 20 micrograms/gram) and assuming that the American vegemite market isn't very large I can't see why it should be such a big deal. Some of the potential risks which seem to concern the US department of health are outlined here (under II, A. 'Safe Upper Limit'). Their main worry seems to be for those who are at risk of megaloblastic anaemia which can result in some damage to the central nervous system (I think one method used to diagnose this type of anaemia is to look for low folate levels, hence large amounts of folate could act so as to mask this associated deficiency). In any case, if they were that worried they wouldn't be putting it in their breads and cereals - they could always just whack a little warning sticker on the vegemite jars with a couple of US health recommendations.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
KFunk said:
Given the relatively low amount of folate in vegemite (about 20 micrograms/gram) and assuming that the American vegemite market isn't very large I can't see why it should be such a big deal. Some of the potential risks which seem to concern the US department of health are outlined here (under II, A. 'Safe Upper Limit'). Their main worry seems to be for those who are at risk of megaloblastic anaemia which can result in some damage to the central nervous system (I think one method used to diagnose this type of anaemia is to look for low folate levels, hence large amounts of folate could act so as to mask this associated deficiency). In any case, if they were that worried they wouldn't be putting it in their breads and cereals - they could always just whack a little warning sticker on the vegemite jars with a couple of US health recommendations.
Well the idea of lowering folate to the diet of a minority should not extend to a ban. Ok, let's ban all foods containing glucose, sucrose or any food containing sugars because of diabetics.

HSC
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Claim: The U.S. has banned all imports of Vegemite due to the presence of folate.

Example: [Associated Press, 2006]

Reports that U.S. customs agents are searching people from Australia and New Zealand for Vegemite, a popular yeast extract spread, has created consternation among antipodean expatriates living in America.

The Australian Embassy in Washington said it was looking into Australian media reports that customs officials were checking people for the salty brown spread.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has long prohibited imports of Vegemite because it contains folate, a B vitamin approved as an additive for just a few foods, including breakfast cereals.

But until recently there was no difficulty bringing in a few jars for personal use. Nearly 100,000 Australians and New Zealanders live in the United States.

Reports from Australian and New Zealand media said some people had been searched or asked by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents if they were carrying Vegemite.

Origins: News
in late October 2006 that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had ordered customs officials to crack down on the importation of Vegemite into the U.S. caused great consternation among American expatriates from Australia and New Zealand and others who enjoy the Kraft-manufactured "savoury spread" made from yeast products.

The ban was supposedly being enforced due to the presence of folate, an FDA-regulated food additive, in the product. Later reports, however, indicated the original news overstated the case:
The US government has dismissed media reports it had banned Vegemite.

"There is no ban on Vegemite," US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Media reports claimed American border officials were confiscating Vegemite from Australians as they entered the US.

The FDA, charged with policing America's food supply, has not issued an "import alert" to border officials to halt the import of Vegemite.

Mr Herndon said the FDA was surprised by the media reports.

The controversy centres on folate, an ingredient in Vegemite.

Under US regulations, folate can be added only to breads and cereals.

"One of the Vitamin B components (in Vegemite) is folate," Mr. Herndon said.

"In and of itself, it's not a violation. If they're adding folate to it, boosting it up, technically it would be a violation.

"But the FDA has not targeted it and I don't think we intend to target Vegemite simply because of that."

Joanna Scott, spokesperson for Vegemite's maker, Kraft, reportedly has said, "The Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid".

But Mr. Herndon said, "Nobody at the FDA has told them (Kraft) there is a ban".
Last updated: 25 October 2006

HotShot

-_-
HSC
um- cant u make vegemite without folate -lol i dont think it will affect the taste too much.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
we must obviously invade american soil to liberate those of us who are imprisoned by this tyranny.

HSC
umm... Snopes reveales that its a rumour, it hasn't been banned.

Jesus christ, sometimes i feel like i waste my time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)