• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

USB (HD) TV Tuners (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
I want to buy one, probably around the $100 mark. I'm running XP, but i may upgrade in less than 6 months (so the tuner needs to run xp and vista)

So (apart from price), whats the difference between a good tuner and a shit one?
Are their good brands? Brands to stay right away from?

Does signal strength change between models? Where can i find this on the specs - i.e. what should i expect.

Do all the tuners take HD? and would i get better signal from an HD tuner over an analogue tuner?

Thanks in advace

Thought Shark

HSC
I got a free ASUS one with my laptop. It's good when you have it plugged into a roof aerial, and still pretty good when you have it plugged into rabbit ears. I remember seeing a 100 price tag on it.

Evilo

HSC
Thought Shark said:
I got a free ASUS one with my laptop. It's good when you have it plugged into a roof aerial, and still pretty good when you have it plugged into rabbit ears. I remember seeing a 100 price tag on it.
yeah i've seen those (they sell them indivudually for $99 so you're right)

From memory that came with a really small (10cm) aerial? Is that any good? Are you able to get a good HDTV picture with it?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I'd recommend the Digital Now TinyTwin Dual Digital USB Tuner: http://www.digitalnow.com.au/product_pages/TinyTwin.html . It's a little expensive at $129 but it has two tuners so you can record one channel while watching another (always very useful).

I recently purchased the Digital Now PCIe dual tuner card and it's fantastic, works on a much lower signal strength than my previous card (which required an amplifier). I'd hazard a guess that the USB version is similar, and if you live in a good signal area then an indoor antenna would definitely suffice (rooftop antennas will always be better though).

Add to this Digital Now's tuners have been developed specifically for use in Australia, and they have beyond outstanding customer service. Order online today and it'll be at your door tomorrow if you live in Auspost's express post network.

Do not get an analogue tuner. Once you experience digital TV you will never want to go back to that piss-poor excuse for a video signal. Most digital tuners you buy these days will support HD as well as SD, but it probably pays to check, what with all these HD channels with additional content popping up.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
yeah i've seen those (they sell them indivudually for $99 so you're right)

From memory that came with a really small (10cm) aerial? Is that any good? Are you able to get a good HDTV picture with it?

No. I bought one, and the only reception I get is to SBS. I bought mine from ebay for $30, but the USB ones are all essentially the same thing; crappy antenna. Unless it allows you to plug it into the roof antenna, there's really no point in getting one. Invest in a TV.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
You can go check in capitol computer in the cetee most are around 80 - 200 dollar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)