Using a laptop in University exams (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey, I'm seriously considering transferring to USyd at the end of the year, but I need some clarification with regards to using a computer for exams. My current course at UTS has no exams so this hasn't been an issue thus far, but I understand most everything has exams at Sydney.

I have serious, serious handwriting difficulties, I cannot write with any speed, my hand cramps up and my writing is all but illegible. I used a laptop for the HSC and I have a note from a Writing Therapist that basically says that I can never improve my writing.

Is it difficult (or even possible) to get permission to use a computer or laptop for exams at Sydney?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If you are incapable of writing you shouldn't be at uni. Go learn a trade or something.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Well I'm sure that classifies as some sort of a disability, go to the student centre and they will probably send you to the approciate person that can handle those sort of things

And to the person above
you're a fucktard.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Actually saying disability sounds bad, but im sure it classifies as SOMETHING, especially if you have been given special provisions before in the hsc

iamsickofyear12

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Actually saying disability sounds bad, but im sure it classifies as SOMETHING, especially if you have been given special provisions before in the hsc
...and because I am worse at soccer than professionals I should get to play in the world cup but be able to hit people with a cricket bat if they try to take the ball from me.

Some people are just worse than other people at some things. That is life. I am so sick of everyone trying to get some kind of special consideration because of it.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Using a laptop in an exam will do you no good if you dont anything about your subject, so its no real advantage, if that whats you're crying about

The fact of the matter is some people do DESERVE certain special provisions, he is not being given the answer etc. He is simply using a tool.

'im so sick of everyone"
Oh please, I bet you could count on your hand the number of people you personally know who get special provisions.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
...and because I am worse at soccer than professionals I should get to play in the world cup but be able to hit people with a cricket bat if they try to take the ball from me.

Some people are just worse than other people at some things. That is life. I am so sick of everyone trying to get some kind of special consideration because of it.

You're right, which is why I am not taking calligraphy, art or any area that requires beautiful legible handwriting. How is this in any way comparable?

I am perfectly capable of writing essays, I am perfectly capable of taking in and learning information and imagine I will be able to meet all of the course outcomes set by the subjects. My ONLY problem is that I cannot meet the artificial construct of an exam in the normal way and need to seek an alternative method of doing it, just like people with other, more serious disabilities need assistance at university.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Using a laptop in an exam will do you no good if you dont anything about your subject, so its no real advantage, if that whats you're crying about

The fact of the matter is some people do DESERVE certain special provisions, he is not being given the answer etc. He is simply using a tool. .
Harry Flashman said:
You're right, which is why I am not taking calligraphy, art or any area that requires beautiful legible handwriting. How is this in any way comparable?

I am perfectly capable of writing essays, I am perfectly capable of taking in and learning information and imagine I will be able to meet all of the course outcomes set by the subjects. My ONLY problem is that I cannot meet the artificial construct of an exam in the normal way and need to seek an alternative method of doing it, just like people with other, more serious disabilities need assistance at university.
Using a laptop is not comparable to writing.

I write fairly fast, but I can still type at least twice as fast as I can write. If I could use a laptop that would mean I could write twice as much, or have a whole lot of extra time for multiple choice questions or just thinking up better responses. It is a huge advantage.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

I write fairly fast, but I can still type at least twice as fast as I can write. If I could use a laptop that would mean I could write twice as much, or have a whole lot of extra time for multiple choice questions or just thinking up better responses. It is a huge advantage.
Who cares about advantages when, as has already been pointed out a ridiculous amount of times, it is impossible for him to even write an exam.
I can type more than twice as fast as I can write, but I'm not complaining because I know my written answers are going to be just as good. The majority of people are going to be hand writing in their exam, if someone is concerned that another has an 'unfair advantage' because they can't actually write, that's just fucked up.
I know it's a lame cliche, but quality > quantity.

iamsickofyear12 said:
lol awesome analogy there man, totally relevant.

In conclusion, don't feed the trolls guys

Justin

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Playing soccer is different from participating in university programmes. If s/he has the inner ability than not the outer ability than this can be overcome, clearly, by the use of a laptop. Are you saying s/he shouldn't be able to do what s/he wants to do simply because s/he has to use a laptop?
iamsickofyear12 said:
Some people are just worse than other people at some things. That is life.
Clearly, which is why this person is able to go to Usyd. Which uni do you go to again?
iamsickofyear12 said:
I am so sick of everyone trying to get some kind of special consideration because of it.
Yerrrrrrrrrr. This should be a survival of the fittest!

haha, you are such a shit cunt. SUCH a shit cunt it's not funny. And to think I was once like you.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Let's actually answer the question rather than starting the whole special consideration debate up again, shall we? Student Centre website says:
Students with a disability, including serious medical condition, or recent injury, which puts them at a disadvantage during examinations should contact Disability Services, Level 7, Education Building, Manning Road, as soon as possible. If appropriate, special arrangements can be made to meet particular requirements.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
See, this is why we need the State Government to step in with tougher restrictions on pen licenses.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
bazookajoe said:
Who cares about advantages when, as has already been pointed out a ridiculous amount of times, it is impossible for him to even write an exam.
And that is everyone else's fault how exactly?

Giving people special considerations doesn't only help the people who get it, it also punishes everyone else who doesn't by allowing people who know less than them to end up with better marks.

You shouldn't be punished for being able to write properly.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
And that is everyone else's fault how exactly?

Giving people special considerations doesn't only help the people who get it, it also punishes everyone else who doesn't by allowing people who know less than them to end up with better marks.

You shouldn't be punished for being able to write properly.
- It's not everyone elses fault.
- It does not punish others, because it doesn't affect anyone elses marks.
- If you can write more but still have less knowledge, you will not get better marks.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Justin said:
Clearly, which is why this person is able to go to Usyd. Which uni do you go to again?
How is the university I go to relevant? I never wanted to go to usyd in the first place. Someone that goes to usyd is not automatically smarter than I am because I chose not to go there.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

Fortunately I'm a really slow typer, so no advantage there...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
bazookajoe said:
- It's not everyone elses fault.
- It does not punish others, because it doesn't affect anyone elses marks.
- If you can write more but still have less knowledge, you will not get better marks.

It doesn't need to affect their marks. A person who is less intelligent and doesn't understand the material as well can end up with a better mark.... that is not fair. The fact that it doesn't have any impact on another persons actual mark is irrelevant. If that person who had to write had the same access to a laptop they might have achieved a better result.

If you have equal knowledge but can write more then you do get better marks.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Many people have writing difficulties, and if you were to discuss this with a councelor and they find you to be at a disadvantage, they may allow you to use another form of communication - this will not include a laptop; it will be person who will write for you.
Usually it will be one of the councelors.

I have a person-usually Gloria from student services-who accomanies me to every examination.
Anyone here have a problem with that? I couldn't give a flying fuck if you think you're at a disadvantage because I require assistance in regards to handwriting.
Go play with your dick and sulk, cunt.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
s-AINT said:
Many people have writing difficulties, and if you were to discuss this with a councelor and they find you to be at a disadvantage, they may allow you to use another form of communication - this will not include a laptop; it will be person who will write for you.
Usually it will be one of the councelors.

I have a person-usually Gloria from student services-who accomanies me to every examination.
Anyone here have a problem with that? I couldn't give a flying fuck if you think you're at a disadvantage because I require assistance in regards to handwriting.
Go play with your dick and sulk, cunt.
You handicapped cunt. :rofl:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
funny how i usually beat all the kids with writing disabilities, who get to use laptops. I don't feel like they have much of an advantage over me. If anything, markers will pay more attention to their work, whilst they will skim over my work for the main points. This gives me an advantage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)