USYD Dalyell Scholars VS UNSW Engineering (Software) (1 Viewer)

cosmicbard

HSC
I am a current year 12 student about to enter university and I'm deciding between USYD's Bachelor of Engineering (Software) (Dalyell Scholars) and UNSW's Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Software). The main concern that I have between the two is that I've heard from many people that in order to graduate from the USYD Dalyell Scholars program, you needed to maintain an average WAM of 75% and I've also heard that its extremely difficult to maintain said average. So I was just wondering for anyone who's experienced the Dalyell Scholars program, in particular, those who do the software engineering program, how difficult is it to maintain that 75% WAM and how much study do you do regularly?

Also any advice for do's and don't's in the program would be much appreciated

Porogamiii

HSC
Also a year 12 student here so take what I say with a grain of salt but from what I've heard Dalyell isn't really that worth it as you basically just lose electives for some advanced classes and get like $2k for exchange. Also not sure how many employers would even know what it is so not sure if it would give that big an advantage in the job market.

I think a more important thing to consider is the majors that each uni offers. USYD SWE majors are actually more focused on hardware/electrical being IoT, computer engineering or intelligent processing whereas UNSW doesn't have majors for SWE but there's quite a few more electives from comp sci like cybersec meaning they have more software options than USYD. USYD advanced computing is more software heavy than SWE turns out.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I am a current year 12 student about to enter university and I'm deciding between USYD's Bachelor of Engineering (Software) (Dalyell Scholars) and UNSW's Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Software). The main concern that I have between the two is that I've heard from many people that in order to graduate from the USYD Dalyell Scholars program, you needed to maintain an average WAM of 75% and I've also heard that its extremely difficult to maintain said average. So I was just wondering for anyone who's experienced the Dalyell Scholars program, in particular, those who do the software engineering program, how difficult is it to maintain that 75% WAM and how much study do you do regularly?

Also any advice for do's and don't's in the program would be much appreciated
If you are getting the 98+ ATAR or the 95+ ATAR they state on their website you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting 75% WAM. As that kind of ATAR proves a student is academically gifted. Uni is not so different from high school, the more effort you put and if you are decently intelligent getting a 75%+ is not that difficult. Obviously takes hard work but it's not like some unattainable mark that cannot be achieved by everyone. Where the difficulty comes is getting 85%+ which is a high distinction, as there is no scaling in most uni subjects it's based on a raw mark of your overall assessments so get 85%+ requires lots of hard work and being naturally good at academics in that area.

Often what people say is exaggerated so take that into consideration when weighing up what they say

In terms of the actual degrees quality vs each other I can't comment as I didn't do software engineering

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)