Usyd scholarships (1 Viewer)

sambo_rambo

HSC
Hi everyone,
I just got a letter from Usyd about my scholarship application. It said on the letter that they are considering me for a scholarship at my chosen faculty. Does that mean I have a real chance or do they say that to everyone?
Thanks,
Sam:D

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
If you have recieved an acknowledgement of application letter as well (Earlier) then yes, you are in with a very good chance.

What they will now do is wait for the UAIs to be released and rank you against other candidates. You'll probably hear from them a few days after UAIs come out.

sambo_rambo

HSC
HSC student. And it was the only letter I have received. The more I look at it, the more generic it looks. Its probably just something they send to everyone.
Thanks for that

nearly done....

HSC
lol, i just read this and thought s***, i must have missed out....then went to the mailbox...realised noone had collected the mail and there waiting for me was a USYD envelope!!! yay!!! so consideration is a decently good sign?

nearly done....

HSC
just reading those other messages....i never got an acknowledgment of application letter?! but my school does send them all off together so maybe they would send it to the school?!

sambo_rambo

HSC
I only got it as of an hour or two ago in the post. It may take a couple of days...

gorgo31

HSC
I got one too. On the application form, remember, it did say that all applicants would be notified that their application had been received some time in October. I think this letter is that, and not really any indication of what your chances are. So everyone should get one eventually.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Its definitely a good thing, beats getting a letter at this stage saying you wont be considered anymore.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
All it really says to me is that I'm in with a chance, which is good, but nothing indicating I'm a likely candidate. More an acknowledgement than anything else.

Plebeian

I-Jester said:
What they will now do is wait for the UAIs to be released and rank you against other candidates. You'll probably hear from them a few days after UAIs come out.
They might be lying, but they always say that ranking for the Undergraduate Scholarships and Entry Awards is done beforehand, without consideration of UAI. Remember they have your trial HSC results, among other things, to assess your academic ability. You only have to achieve the minimum threshold of 95.

screem41

HSC
I'm pretty sure it's generic - I got one too and I remember it saying something about acknowledging the application was received on the application form. Still - let's just entertain ourselves with the thought that's it's a good sign anyway...

SeDaTeD

HSC
I remembered all I received was an acknowledgement of application letter, and a letter saying that I didn't get the main USYD scholarship but would still be considered for my faculty scholarships. I then received nothing for a couple of months, no rejetion letter or whatever. So I thougt I wan't going to get anything, seeing that other people have known that they've received scholarships. But then finally in April, I received a letter saing I've got one.

So, the can take their bloody time if they want to. Don't give up hope until you've receievd an actual rejection letter.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I was exactly the same as SeDaTeD, got the acknowledgement and then rejection one for that main scholarship. Then I was given the IT entrance one a few months into uni.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
Techie said:
They might be lying, but they always say that ranking for the Undergraduate Scholarships and Entry Awards is done beforehand, without consideration of UAI. Remember they have your trial HSC results, among other things, to assess your academic ability. You only have to achieve the minimum threshold of 95.
I disagree - I think the process changed last year.

Angus (Union Board, NOLS) came from my school, got an 8000 a year scholarship and was told prior to UAIs being released that all he had to do was get the minimum UAI.

But the year after (2004) they didn't release any scholarship details until once the UAIs had been released. My theory is they work out who is eligible and largely group them generically and then use the UAI to determine what level of scholarship you recieve.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
What's all this about not recieving the "main scholarship"? Is that the outstanding achievement 99.95 or higher one? Or are there university of sydney scholarships that are generic and others chosen by the faculties?

I got the acknowlegement letter as well and I'm sure it isn't any indication of our chances of receiving the scholarship.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
KFunk said:
All it really says to me is that I'm in with a chance, which is good, but nothing indicating I'm a likely candidate. More an acknowledgement than anything else.
Aha, maybe, maybe not.
Methinks it's just a notification of recievership. Some people will get the letter without having a chance of getting it. Namely, my neighbour.

He's a great kid, but his 50-word written application pretty much just said that he had a big penis.

jessied

HSC
I recieved a letter too (felt loved getting mail) and I have deadset no chance of getting ite scholarship so its got to be generic..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)