• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Usyd scholarships (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

I-Jester said:
I disagree - I think the process changed last year.

Angus (Union Board, NOLS) came from my school, got an 8000 a year scholarship and was told prior to UAIs being released that all he had to do was get the minimum UAI.

But the year after (2004) they didn't release any scholarship details until once the UAIs had been released. My theory is they work out who is eligible and largely group them generically and then use the UAI to determine what level of scholarship you recieve.
I got an email from the faculty office the night before HSC results came out (ie. two days before UAI's were released, though the universities may have already had them at this stage). I don't quite remember the text, but I'm pretty sure it said that I would be offered a scholarship if I received the minimum UAI threshold of 95 (which I did). I got a proper confirmation phone call and letter within the next week, if I remember rightly. It's hard to know, I think they do use UAI's to a greater extent than they say - after all, if you only use trial HSC and school report marks, it's difficult to know whether those marks have been scaled by the school, if it was a particularly difficult trial exam, etc. - but I think that if once you're past the minimum UAI threshold, they really do pay a fair amount of attention to extra-curricular activities and such.

fleepbasding said:
What's all this about not recieving the "main scholarship"? Is that the outstanding achievement 99.95 or higher one? Or are there university of sydney scholarships that are generic and others chosen by the faculties?
As you'd know, you only have to submit one application in order to be eligible for most scholarships. The 'main' scholarship that people are talking about that is the University of Sydney Undergraduate Scholarship with Merit, valued at $5000 a year for five years. If you don't get this, you may get a University of Sydney Entry Award, which is a one-off payment of $5000.

You will also be considered for scholarships awarded by individual faculties. In most cases, you can't hold these simultaneously with a University scholarship, though some of them you can (especially if they are one-off payments). Faculty scholarships are usually worth less than the University one, which is why they're not the 'main' scholarship. In some cases, they're worth more - eg. in the Faculty of Eco and Business, where you can get up to $10,000 a year (though I think that's basically a $5000 bonus payment on top of a $5,000 University scholarship, if that makes sense).

The Outstanding Achievement scholarship is the same value as a Merit one, but you don't have to apply for it.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I got a rejection letter after the UAI's. [The bastards]

Then got a third round $5g a year for 5 years.

So I wouldn't worry about anything just yet.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
I got a rejection letter after the UAI's. [The bastards]

Then got a third round $5g a year for 5 years.

So I wouldn't worry about anything just yet.
they probably realised your placings in ext 1 and 2 maths!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
05er said:
They rejected a 99.75 student? Wankers.

I got a "We'll give you a scholarship with 95+" letter today.
hmmmm, somehow that sounds slightly bullshitish. Do people even get letters on Sunday. I don't where I live (the country). Are you telling the truth? Or is this a classic case of selectivity and emphasis...

What does this alleged letter say exactly?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
The post doesn't come on sunday.

And no-one in their right mind would give keypad a scholarship ;)

04er

HSC
fleepbasding said:
hmmmm, somehow that sounds slightly bullshitish. Do people even get letters on Sunday. I don't where I live (the country). Are you telling the truth? Or is this a classic case of selectivity and emphasis...

What does this alleged letter say exactly?
it does sound a little bullshitish. From what i remember its the one letter for confirmation of receipt of application, and then another after UAI's have been released in regards to a scholarship offer OR letter of rejection. I could be wrong though. Either way, good luck to everyone :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)