USYD Strike (1 Viewer)

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC
i'm glad we don't have any insane protesting at unsw. If they blocked the eddy avenue bus line, they can effectively shut down the uni imo
not really
there are at least 2 other buses that go to unsw that i can think of and catch all the time that don't go on that route
only silly first years use the crowded, shitty eddy avenue buses :p

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Isn't there a heap that go up Anzac Parade that you could catch?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Eddy Ave has the most buses going to UNSW there are other buses but generally take longer like form usyd you can take the 370 to unsw but takes a solid 30-40 minutes to get there

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Eddy Ave has the most buses going to UNSW there are other buses but generally take longer like form usyd you can take the 370 to unsw but takes a solid 30-40 minutes to get there
Or lyk M10 which goes the other way from USyd but also takes about half an hour but only about 20mins from central if you're not stopping ALL THE TIME

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.honisoit.com/2013/05/staff-vote-to-strike-again/

The National Tertiary Education Union has voted to endorse two days of strike action. The NTEU voted for two separate strike days, the first on May 14 (Week 10), and the second on June 5 (Week 13). The first strike will coincide with a national student strike protesting Labor’s cuts to tertiary education.

HSC
I'm all for striking for Labor's stupidity but NTEU strikes again ...

HSC
IDK about normal/funds, but adv maths was all for the strike...

HSC
and lol Arts..

'SUPPORT THE STRIKE. BE AT THE PICKETS FROM 7AM!'

quote (paraphrase) my asian studies coord.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
and lol Arts..

'SUPPORT THE STRIKE. BE AT THE PICKETS FROM 7AM!'

quote (paraphrase) my asian studies coord.
LOL 7AM...fuck that. I wouldn't even protest, let alone do it at 7

Seems Arts just has too much time - we should cut their funds.

HSC
Yep I'm actually supporting the one on the 14th completely!!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Seriously, are we going to get into this again?

I'm supporting the strike this time because not only is it for staff, but also for students who are protesting the Gonski report and funding being taken from the university. Only one of my classes is being held, and we're having it at the park (with the protestors) and going to the pub for tutes afterwards. Our lecturers are officially striking, and we're still getting taught. Best of both worlds.
That's brilliant.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I don't think they get the idea, that they are brewing hate for them. I dunno about the student body in general, but i feel people from my cohort are really just tired of them, chucking a tantrum, and deciding that "it's in the best interest of the students" to strike, what broken logic do they work off.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The problem is that students are not sufficiently informed because they are so bloody apathetic towards everything. It IS in the best interests of students to strike in order to get changes in policy and continued funding and security of staff positions.

They're not chucking a tantrum. And everyone seems misguided, thinking this is about pay and sick leave but if they read any of the flyers, it's about far more than that. Strikes are a way to get the system to stand up and take notice of them and the university is in a huge flurry atm so I'm really hoping this finally works and brings valid negotiation terms to the table.
This. I have seen cuts first hand, it is not pretty.

Tasteless

HSC
The 'Gonski protest' is only a protest of the reallocation of funding away from tertiary education, towards primary education, correct?

Like the Gonski Report isn't actually being contested?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)