USYD vs UNSW for Bachelor of COMMERCE (1 Viewer)

USYD vs UNSW for Bachelor of COMMERCE

• USYD

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • UNSW

Votes: 59 75.6%

• Total voters

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Both will be quite good but as far as I know, UNSW is known to have one of the best business schools in Australia.

knxd

HSC
fuck now everones gonna apply for unsw commerce inb4 atar cut off shoots up

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I have been offered Finance Honours in both USYD and UNSW. I don't know too much about Undergrad Commerce in general but at least in the area of Finance Honours, UNSW has a much tougher benchmark and selection criteria. 19 people got selected for USYD Finance Honours while it was for 16 (3 people from interstate universities) at UNSW. For 16 at UNSW, 8-10 of them are CO-OP (basically automatic Honours students unless they don't want to pursue it) and others had to compete for the remaining positions. For USYD, there is no such thing as CO-OP so competition is lower. Furthermore, UNSW curriculum is much more rigorous as RMF is already undertaken prior to Honours (while this is one of the main Honours course for USYD). Also, in 1st semester, UNSW has 4 courses (with advanced RMF) while USYD has 3. It's also important to note that USYD's benchmark of First Class Honours is only 80 compared to that of 85 in UNSW

So if you are looking for some tough challenge for Honours year, UNSW may be the one to go. However, I do admire USYD Commerce Degree as it has a nice affiliation with many companies through unpaid internship program. Given the nature of Commerce as a glorified arts degree with few numbers, experience beats all.

Last edited:

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
I have been offered Finance Honours in both USYD and UNSW. I don't know too much about Undergrad Commerce in general but at least in the area of Finance Honours, UNSW has a much tougher benchmark and selection criteria. 19 people got selected for USYD Finance Honours while it was for 16 (3 people from interstate universities) at UNSW. For 16 at UNSW, 8-10 of them are CO-OP (basically automatic Honours students unless they don't want to pursue it) and others had to compete for the remaining positions. For USYD, there is no such thing as CO-OP so competition is lower. Furthermore, UNSW curriculum is much more rigorous as RMF is already undertaken prior to Honours (while this is one of the main Honours course for USYD). Also, in 1st semester, UNSW has 4 courses (with advanced RMF) while USYD has 3. It's also important to note that USYD's benchmark of First Class Honours is only 80 compared to that of 85 in UNSW

So if you are looking for some tough challenge for Honours year, UNSW may be the one to go. However, I do admire USYD Commerce Degree as it has a nice affiliation with many companies through unpaid internship program. Given the nature of Commerce as a glorified arts degree with few numbers, experience beats all.
Could you elaborate on the different types of honours degree, first class, second etc? Also are the requirements to get into the honours classes different majors the same across the board?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am not sure as to what you are exactly asking...

First class and second class are like results you get when you complete Honours. If you get above 85+, you get First Class. If you get lower than that but above 75, you get second class.
To get into honours, you need about 80 WAM at least for the Honours you are applying for e.g. Finance

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Don't you get like Honours Third Class or Second Class?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)