USYD vs UNSW (2 Viewers)

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
One reason why USYD is better than UNSW:
USYD does not have politik*

*politik=the BoS member. We are not referring to politics.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
hey it cant hurt to go through more interesting 'life experiences'. unsw is kinda sheltered because its around nice suburbs and close to the beach. on the other hand, if your wellbeing is worth more to you than campus life...

HSC
N/A
Why the hell is everyone afraid of Redfern??

It's safe. There's police patrolling the station and surroundings constantly. Sure, some Swedish backpacker was stabbed in the neck there earlier this year, but that was at a time when no students were around (12-3amish?).

If you can ignore the beggars than it's actually a very pleasant walk. I have never felt concerned for my safety on my way to or from uni, even at 9pm-1am (after a gig or whatever). It's fine.

And as others have mentioned, there are shuttle buses. You're all pussies.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
blackfriday said:
hey it cant hurt to go through more interesting 'life experiences'. unsw is kinda sheltered because its around nice suburbs and close to the beach. on the other hand, if your wellbeing is worth more to you than campus life...
Hey, you come close to Northcott on the way back from UNSW on the Railway Square bus, that's close enough to those pits of despair I want to get as of now.

lala2

Banned
HSC
At Central today, after a couple of Aboriginals yelled, "give us back our land, you motherf***ers!" to the Caucasian ladies walking up ahead of me, I was really scared but they didn't say anything to me as I'm Chinese. It's bad enough, I reckon, being intimidated by a couple of swearing 40-something Aboriginal women without having a 10-15 minute walk through a neighbourhood full of them, I'm sure. But as The_Apprentice said, if you can ignore them, that's good.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Guys would get worst I'd say and I'm speaking from experience, but I wouldn't choose a different uni over a bad area, like people said there's a lot of ways to avoid it.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
lala2 said:
At Central today, after a couple of Aboriginals yelled, "give us back our land, you motherf***ers!" to the Caucasian ladies walking up ahead of me, I was really scared but they didn't say anything to me as I'm Chinese. It's bad enough, I reckon, being intimidated by a couple of swearing 40-something Aboriginal women without having a 10-15 minute walk through a neighbourhood full of them, I'm sure. But as The_Apprentice said, if you can ignore them, that's good.
They should have done what the aboriginal people said. Me? I gave an aboriginal lady 30 cents one day outside Central. She needed the 30 cents more than me, and the old guy who plays that piccolo and sings.

phrred

HSC
The_Apprentice said:
Why the hell is everyone afraid of Redfern??

It's safe. There's police patrolling the station and surroundings constantly. Sure, some Swedish backpacker was stabbed in the neck there earlier this year, but that was at a time when no students were around (12-3amish?).
bit contradicting. if its so safe you wouldnt need police constantly patrolling the area

HSC
N/A
phrred said:
bit contradicting. if its so safe you wouldnt need police constantly patrolling the area
It's safe because there ARE police patrolling the area.

It might not be if there weren't any. I have never seen redfern station unpatrolled, there's always a minimum of 5 or so cops, I swear.

I know it's going off on a tangent but I like to think of it like this:
After 9/11 people were afraid of flying. But in reality, the risk of terrorism was actually reduced because of the increase of secrurity measures. It's similar at redfern. Police have realised that due to high crime rates in the area, they need to increase the secrurity measures etc.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I agree with wiki, UNSW is pretty dull, if I get the marks I'd probably transfer to USYD; I live same distance from both though.

Generator

HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
It's bad enough, I reckon, being intimidated by a couple of swearing 40-something Aboriginal women without having a 10-15 minute walk through a neighbourhood full of them, I'm sure. But as The_Apprentice said, if you can ignore them, that's good.
Have you ever walked to uni from Redfern station, lala2? The above quote suggests that you haven't.

Conspirocy

HSC
wikiwiki said:
Why are so many bizarre things being said by UNSW students?

1) UNSW is IN NO WAY quicker to get to by train + bus than Usyd. Nope. Not a single way. Factor in waiting for buses etc and usyd is at least 10-15 minutes quicker. It took me 8 minutes to get to Merewether (including waiting for lights, I never cross without lights) from Redfern station. 20 min train. To get to UNSW, 26 minute train, 5-10 minutes waiting time, 10-15 minute bus

2) Redfern is not dangerous. It would ONLY be dangerous if you walked up to an aborigine and stabbed him.

3. UNSW is an inferior university to USYD. It has no culture, none whatsoever. NONE WHATSOEVER.
1. i think the point was if ur going to travel far to get to uni, an extra 8-15 mins is not going to break u from central...
- also if u want to state ur point that way, i can be a wanker and ignore the context too, and go... well i live in maroubra so it takes me 5 mins to get to unsw and 25 mins to get to usyd...really a useless point

2. redfern is not dangerous, i agree, if u stick around there for ages it would be, so i guess the point is, that every day all the usyd students walk as quickly as they can through redfern...

3. culture...in australia...hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaha
- nah seriously uni culture, thats gotta be the biggest load of shit ive ever heard...but i havent gone to ur uni, so tell me what is ur 'culture' im very interested?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Generator said:
Have you ever walked to uni from Redfern station, lala2? The above quote suggests that you haven't.
No, actually I haven't. And I wouldn't. Now, obviously Redfern is safe enough for some people, otherwise I'm sure the already crowded buses would have people sitting on the roof but I would not go to Redfern personally. And yes, ignoring them is a technique that I've picked up, which I'm sure is a useful technique in any awkward situations that you're passing through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)