Uts law/ business or unsw commerce/ arts?? (1 Viewer)

tyzzefloro

HSC
It is finally crunch time and i pretty much have a few days to decide.

Commerce/ Arts UNSW with a 5k Scholarship
OR
Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Laws at UTS.

So stuck. halp D: thoughts??

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'd love a scholarship hahaha. Gimme gimme.

Just ask yourself, what do you want to do in the future with your degree? Do you want to practice in law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyzzefloro

HSC
I hope so. I think attempting to internal transfer at UNSW is a risk that might not be worth taking.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
Pick the one you think you will enjoy the most, that way you will enjoy what you study (which is important) and won't have any regrets about what you are doing :) I am going to be biased and say go with UNSW (despite me not knowing what Arts is like), since they are very flexible when it comes to doing courses within your degrees i.e. many courses are offered in both SEM1 and SEM2, you can easily swap between lectures/tutorials, easily change from one course to another in a given semester, or even changing from one degree to another etc. (despite these being all secondary factors when it comes to picking your degree/career path). UNSW Business School on a whole is well reputed with pretty solid faculties in Accounting and Finance. Plus, you've also been offered a scholarship, so that is always an incentive :). Ultimately it is all up to you, it is your career path and you need to think about what YOU want to do and where you want to end up many years down the track. It never hurts to check many forums on BoS about what each course covers throughout its duration, and what prospects are available in doing that course. Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I hope so. I think attempting to internal transfer at UNSW is a risk that might not be worth taking.
There you have it, go for UTS business/law. Tbh, I don't see any point in wasting a year trying to transfer; but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyzzefloro

HSC
In commerce i'd be looking at marketing + HR. I'd tend to stay away from maths. So i am avoiding subjects like statistics in my first year. I'd need my WAM to go BAM BAM > 80. Atm im on course to do 2 arts subjects in history and theatre and performance studies.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
Take the scholarship and do Commerce/Arts, work your ass off in first-year to get 80+ WAM average (very doable with enough effort) and keep this is as a safety net in case you want to transfer into Comm/Law or Arts/Law, that way you have nothing to lose. Still, it is easier said than done, if you absolutely hate Comm or Arts, you would then find it difficult to achieve good grades simply because the interest/motivation isn't there. Think about it carefully.

tyzzefloro

HSC
Yer.. Ive been thinking about it for a month. And in my sleep. :( Time to buckle down if i choose UNSW.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Just do straight comm, study and get 77ish plus wam. Really isnt hard at unsw first year units. I dont know anyone with less than a d average in unsw comm - even the less bright kids i know. so i would defs take the scholarship and then transfer into unsw comm/law. Don't do arts unless you are great at writing or it will drag your wam down.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Yeah i am a humanities kid.
Haha strong post on that hscdiscussion group. At the end of the day, no one can choose it for you. If you are confident, go to unsw. You can go wrong with either. Tranferring from uts to unsw law isnt hard either. 75 wam is usually enough

tyzzefloro

HSC
hmm i'll sleep on it. I might have some epiphany while dreaming which will lead me in the right direction. LOL maybe i should just flip a coin.

tyzzefloro

HSC
Is it possible to transfer from commerce/ arts UNSW to UTS law/ business.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
OP, do you want to practice law? If not, go for UNSW Comm/Arts, if yes, go for UTS Business/Law. If unsure, the scholarship probably pushes it in favour of UNSW.

An important factor to consider though is that you might not get credit for your Arts subjects in a Comm/Law degree (at Usyd you won't be able to, not sure about UNSW).

Don't do arts unless you are great at writing or it will drag your wam down.
This is so true. People bag Arts degrees but imo, it's much harder to get HDs or even Ds in Arts than Commerce (even though it's easier to do nothing and just pass).

tyzzefloro

HSC
at the moment im 45/ 55 leaning towards UNSW. thanks peeps. I'll let you know what i choose soon. yeah i guess the scholarship is pushing me to UNSW. And yuh I hope I do well in arts I love writing and the subjects i'll be undertaking.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW isnt that hard to internal transfer. If you somewhat try 80 is achievable

tyzzefloro

HSC
im gooing to immensily try, not somewhat try if UNSW is where i end up. PLEASE LAWD.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
UNSW and then internal transfer into law. Win.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW and then internal transfer into law. Win.
Careful to not make it sound as if it's guaranteed. Just sayin'

Know people from like UNSW Arts & Business and UNSW Economics who did these degrees (instead of Business at UTS or Commerce at MACQ) hoping that they'll be able to internally transfer into UNSW Commerce (or combined Commerce) and didn't make it.

It is finally crunch time and i pretty much have a few days to decide.

Commerce/ Arts UNSW with a 5k Scholarship
OR
Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Laws at UTS.

So stuck. halp D: thoughts??
If you REALLY WANT to do Law or are seriously considering a career in legal practice, I'd seriously consider UTS Business/Law.

Unless you’re 100% sure you can get that 80 WAM, I believe that an individual should choose their desired course before choosing their desired university and not the other way round. The basic argument is that you do not want to be stuck in a course you do not like (or do not like as much as law/combined law) and have no interest in if you don’t succeed in your transfer attempt.

If you are mainly passionate about Commerce/Business and have barely any interest in law, I'd go with UNSW Commerce/Arts and the 5k scholarship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)