Uws A Joke (1 Viewer)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
And if you're going to TAFE, at least go to Ultimo.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
alece said:
do u know what is stupid, last year i enrolled in uws course for planning i chose to deffer so i could work and therefore be made independant from my family. I have recently been told that uws has cancelled my course and that my "equivalent" course is now social science. could someone please explain to me how social science be deemed as an equivalent for planning. thanks
Thats not stupid. Everyone knew that UWS was having a major reconstruction with schools.

Get over it. My course has been cancelled for two years. So for two years I've been doing a non existant degree in the handbook.

And I've basically done a submajor in planning. And its a social science, its basically geography. So quit whinging.

L

LaraB

what971 said:
And if you're going to TAFE, at least go to Ultimo.
it's not a matter of going to a "better" TAFE - if your aim is to get into a certain course at a certain uni after you do the TAFE course you NEED to check to see if yoru future uni accepts transfers that grant credit from that particular TAFE....

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Yes, but if you decide that TAFE is the option you want to take, at least go to the one with the best facilities.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Cape said:
Get over it. My course has been cancelled for two years. So for two years I've been doing a non existant degree in the handbook.
Does that mean that cancellation means just closed off to future years? Or is the whole degree scrapped altogether, regardless of what year you're in?

HSC
Courses are not always offered at Ultimo, and you shouldn't think that being at ultimo will benifet you any, cause not all courses are best at ultimo. The idea of having UTS next door is a bit over rated, and also makes it a lot more challenging getting into Ultimo, but yea, as what971 said, look for facilities, not for position.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lala2 said:
Does that mean that cancellation means just closed off to future years? Or is the whole degree scrapped altogether, regardless of what year you're in?
It means no can enrol after the cancellation. People who are currently in the course have the option to transfer into the new course, but if you dont want to transfer (as was my case), it will continue until the final lot of graduates go through in the recommended time.

Thats just my course, other courses may be different though.

L

LaraB

what971 said:
Yes, but if you decide that TAFE is the option you want to take, at least go to the one with the best facilities.
TAFe is just like uni.... courses are different... teaching methods are different... facilities won't = better...

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
TAFe is just like uni.... courses are different... teaching methods are different... facilities won't = better...
Well, I have no idea about teachers etc. cause I only know one person who goes there, but I'd assume that all things being equal, it'd be preferrable to choose Ultimo over other TAFEs.

Also, they sell cheaper and better food than UTS.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
do u know what is stupid, last year i enrolled in uws course for planning i chose to deffer so i could work and therefore be made independant from my family. I have recently been told that uws has cancelled my course and that my "equivalent" course is now social science. could someone please explain to me how social science be deemed as an equivalent for planning. thanks
Perhaps you should go through the Social Science degree, looking at the majors, sub-majors and even individual units, to see if what is offered resembles that which would have been provided under a Planning degree (whatever that is).

Ive been here for 2yrs an all i can say is UWS is shit, end of story.
I've been at UWS for almost 1 year, and I don't see what is so bad about it. Admittedly, different courses will differ in their perceived quality, but thus far the only thing I don't like is the multi-campus factor.

Last edited:

dude01

HSC
LOL LaraB, there is a big difference between canberra and uws. UWS is known for having real low uai for courses that could be lobbed a lot higher in other unis, for example, engineering, most unis are 80 to 85, where at uws, it's 60. Like, how does that work out? And i'm sure that if you goto uws, and try to transfer, it's gonna be a lot harder than if you take another year at tafe, and getting into a course at the uni you prefer.
I know for a fact that the advertised cutoffs at UTS are complete bullshit. One of my mates got into engineering with a UAI of 70, where the advertised cutoff was 85 - with no special consideration , etc, just applied through uac like everyone else. The fact that engineering courses are not that popular (compared to other courses) means that people with lower UAI's are allowed in.

To the original poster: There's nothing you can really do. I would be pissed off too if I was in your shoes. Why don't you do one year of social science, get decent marks than transfer into a different uni that offers planning?

Jonathan A

HSC
The irony of the complainers of UWS:

Last week: UWS is 'shit' because it has too many courses.

This week: UWS is 'shit' because it is cutting back on courses.

Clearly, each to their own.

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
i can u give a lot of reasons, but for now ill give u some of the shit ive been through this semester.

1. 2nd yr policing students were told that we did not have to enrol in this specific subject as it was going to be done in goulbourn. 2 days b4 uni starts a notice comes up on webct tellin us to enrol into it. Like ffs i already had things planned to do in the days i didnt have to go to uni. So instead of having to come to uni 2 days a week, i had to come 3.

2. one of the subjects i am doing had some problem, they said it wouldnt start to week 6 of the semester. So instead of finishing on the 15th november, i dont finish uni until the 17 of december. I could have changed subjects but i wasnt told this unitl 3 weeks into the semester.

3. teachers r never here, ive had like 3 tuts cancelled for 1 core subject. Bloody waste my time of driving to uni for nothing.

I could go on but thats enough for now.

HSC
I have to go 4 days a week. Last semester it was 5.

If you have any major problems like you listed then email MK (as soon as you find out) and he will tell you what to do.

butterflybird

HSC
I would hardly call a few timetable mishaps and tutor no-shows a reason to denounce the entire institution.

I was hoping for some proper reasons, hah.

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
Thank God i got out of UWS, B. policing involves sociology how?? University Of Wasted Space

HSC
William_Lawry said:
Thank God i got out of UWS, B. policing involves sociology how?? University Of Wasted Space
Because understanding Culture, hegemony, power, conformity & deviance, etc.. has nothing to do with policing.....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
but thus far the only thing I don't like is the multi-campus factor.
The campus thing is getting on my nerves especially when next year to get the exact mix of units I want I will be across 4 campuses in one semester and three for the other :mad1:

for the one who started this thread it is unfortunate this happened to you and you probably werent aware. Make the best of the situation and find some units you will enjoy, study them, study hard and apply for a transfer if you still want the specific degree :)

L

LaraB

melsc said:
The campus thing is getting on my nerves especially when next year to get the exact mix of units I want I will be across 4 campuses in one semester and three for the other :mad1:
lol thta's what you get for doing combined law wit a social science :p

the smart ones of us did business with law so we'd be on the same campus all the time :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)