Uws A Joke (1 Viewer)

alece

HSC
do u know what is stupid, last year i enrolled in uws course for planning i chose to deffer so i could work and therefore be made independant from my family. I have recently been told that uws has cancelled my course and that my "equivalent" course is now social science. could someone please explain to me how social science be deemed as an equivalent for planning. thanks

HSC
lol GG, that's like my friend, she does Psychology and most unis have that listed in science, but like you, uws put it in social science.

The fun of UWS :p. I was told, if it comes down to it, and you have UWS or TAFE, GO TO TAFE!. LOL how bad does that make uws look.

alece

HSC
i just think its hilarious say i was going for a job and i had completed social science and there was someone else who was qualified as a planner who would you employ LOL it really is a joke

L

LaraB

alece said:
i just think its hilarious say i was going for a job and i had completed social science and there was someone else who was qualified as a planner who would you employ LOL it really is a joke
That is a risk you run at any univerrsity should you choose to defer... yes it is far more likely to happen at uws given the recent re-shuffling/overhaul/improvements made to course structures, but it is a possibility everywhere.

that's one of the reasons why people choose not to defer... something you should've been made aware of before you chose to defer... if i were you i'd be sending a bitchy rant to whoever gave me advice about my uni choices too coz i remember my careers advisor at school telling ppl to avoid defering unless you were given a guaranteed place in an established course like say.. a BA or something... for this reason...

alece

HSC
I had to defer so i could afford to go to university in the first place ok . it's just a pity that decisions are made about my life and career by someone who sits behind a desk and decides that i am not important enough. They than have the nerve to offer me no explanation and no help

L

LaraB

alece said:
I had to defer so i could afford to go to university in the first place ok . it's just a pity that decisions are made about my life and career by someone who sits behind a desk and decides that i am not important enough. They than have the nerve to offer me no explanation and no help
i got that that was why you deferred..

i'm just saying that it's just something that happens.. it's shit but you shoulda been told before you made all your uni decisions and stuff that it was a possibility coz the way you were talking it sounded like you werent...

alece

HSC
it doesnt mean shit if i was told or not i still would've needed to defer because thats just the way it is. the system is completely sh*te i've been let down and do u know what pisses me off is the fact that no-one out there in the world of university is willing to help people like me out. if cancelling courses that already have deffered students is a reasonably regular occurance than should'nt there be systems in place to help students just like me who don't know what there choices are. say could'nt the organise with other universities to help students into the same courses at differant universites.

alece

HSC
fact is really i shouldn't have to bother with all this crap, but i do and it's a load of bollocks

L

LaraB

alece said:
yeah i wish UAI is the problem.
have you tried talking to another uni? like.. especially one's that had closer uai entry mark..

you'd be surprised how willing unis can be to bend the rules if you bitch and whinge enough...

i know a friend got duped the same way at Canberra uni... had a big cry to ANU.. they let him in, condiitionally tho - he had to pass everything since they bent the rules for him.. but you seriously should contac the head of program/course coordinator or equivalent courses at other unis coz they may be able to help you out ..

although... my friend's degree was dropped altogether, whereas u still have an 'equivalent' one available so i dunno what your chances of success are compared to him..

alece

HSC
i've already tried their not really interested same old story

HSC
LOL LaraB, there is a big difference between canberra and uws. UWS is known for having real low uai for courses that could be lobbed a lot higher in other unis, for example, engineering, most unis are 80 to 85, where at uws, it's 60. Like, how does that work out? And i'm sure that if you goto uws, and try to transfer, it's gonna be a lot harder than if you take another year at tafe, and getting into a course at the uni you prefer.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

The Gate Keeper said:
LOL LaraB, there is a big difference between canberra and uws. UWS is known for having real low uai for courses that could be lobbed a lot higher in other unis, for example, engineering, most unis are 80 to 85, where at uws, it's 60. Like, how does that work out? And i'm sure that if you goto uws, and try to transfer, it's gonna be a lot harder than if you take another year at tafe, and getting into a course at the uni you prefer.
great to know you knew exactly the circumstances of my friend so you have a basis for your comment...

the difference between the courses at the 2 unis that he was applying for was 11 UAI points...in terms of transfering courses - that's huge! especially since he transferred into a 90.5 or something course... the differece between courses at UWS and other unis are often around the same too... just like would be most people's perception of going frm uws to another uni, my friend went from a uni that lacks prestige to a highly prestigious one....

People need to stop making out it's sooooo hard to transfer out of UWS... it's not. Try going to uni and experiencing it or talking to multiple people who have before starting the usual "UWS is so crap you can't even transfer out" spiels...

Plus - you can't just get into any uni from any TAFE/private college... certains unis take only certain TAFE institution students in a large number of courses so just going to TAFe won't necessarily make it easier.. its' the same as uni.. you gotta do the right course at the right place in a lot of cases... so no, it won't necessarily be easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Datto120

HSC
Firstly the course was probably removed because not enough people have applied to do the course next year. So they have every right to remove it why run a course and pay a teacher for only 5 students!!!

Second if you cant get into another uni doing planning then take your spot in the current course. Work ur freaking arse off, choose another uni with planning make urself known to the faculty let them know how your going after the first semester. If you can prove your going to do well they may let you transfer in the first year.

I DO NOT recommend tafe over uni. I know people who have got stuck completing 3 year courses before being granted a place in uni which is a complete waste of time.

I hope that helps. IF your still worried pm me. I have a great careers advisor and im sure she would be willing to help!!!!

HSC
I hear what you guys are saying about TAFE, and yea, it is risky in that aspect. I'm talking more from my line of courses that I wish to do. And yes, I do know that unis are pretty selective of the TAFE and that. So yea, when I mean, I was advised to go to TAFE over UWS, it is cause the course of my preference would see me in UTS at the end of it, Hornsby TAFE and UTS have some sort of deal with each other to give the top 20 in IT Games Development 2nd year entry to B Comp Sci.

But yea, that is my course lineup, don't think ALL courses are like that, cause as stated by datto and others, THEY DON'T ALL LEAD TO UNI!

It probably is true though, getting into any university is quite good, even if it is uws, and if you do exceptionally well, even at uws, transfers can come just as easy.

I'm not saying UWS is crap or anything, but just in my preferences, I was advised to take TAFE over it cause of the opportunities that I’m offered. They may not be the same for you if you end up going to TAFE.

Datto120

HSC
Pretty much to get into uni for the majority of courses using tafe as a pathways you need to complete the course. If you get high distinctions and destinctions in everything you may have a chance at transferring earlier. So dont freak if tafe is your only option you will get to uni eventually. But its alot easier to transfer courses once your in uni then transfer from tafe to uni.

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
Ive been here for 2yrs an all i can say is UWS is shit, end of story.

HSC
well considering you are doing b policing, i don't think it matters which uni you went to. There will always be a job for you because it's government. I'm sure it's a lot different for those doing other courses where the job market is a lot more selective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)