UWS Academic SCHOLARSHIP (1 Viewer)

Dylanamali

HSC
What about Physiotherapy and then transfer into med??
physio @ uws??
the advanced science course @ uws specifically has 6 spots set aside for the top students to gain an interview into MBBS, whereas physio does not.. also the UMAT threshold decreases if you are within the top 6..
instead of with a transfer from physio, in which the same UMAT cut off as undergrad students would apply.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
adv science is a difficult subject and banking everything on getting top 6 in the course is a bit risky. have you considered what you will do if u dont get top 6?

Dylanamali

HSC
adv science is a difficult subject and banking everything on getting top 6 in the course is a bit risky. have you considered what you will do if u dont get top 6?
That is true and I have not been naive in thinking otherwise.. however, the fact is that it is UWS and I'm not expecting many if any 99+ ATAR students to enter the course at UWS.
However, I also know that university is a different story and students who did not achieve that exceptionally in the HSC may strive even harder @ uni and achieve excellent marks.

Having said that, I believe with hard work I can get into the top 6.. but if I happen not to.. then the option is to finish the advanced science course @ uws, then a) GAMSAT it - and hope for entry into postgrad med.. if I don't meet the GAMSAT requirements b) Do a master of nutrition/dietetics @ usyd (1year course) or some other health science related masters (maybe physio) or c) utilise my advanced science degree to work in research for companies such as the CSIRO or d) do a masters of teaching and teach HSC level chem/bio at secondary schools.

I honestly think that advanced science opens me up to a range of offers.. even though I am slightly hesitant @ going to UWS, considering I got an ATAR which virtually allows me access into any course, besides like LAW and MED, I still think that this is most likely the smartest decision in terms of option. But if anyone has advice for me, I'd love to hear it :)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
physio @ uws??
the advanced science course @ uws specifically has 6 spots set aside for the top students to gain an interview into MBBS, whereas physio does not.. also the UMAT threshold decreases if you are within the top 6..
instead of with a transfer from physio, in which the same UMAT cut off as undergrad students would apply.
Woah nice!! Hope you get into Med dude!! What is the cut-off for Advanced Science?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
■have applied for a UWS undergraduate course as their first preference with the University Admissions Centre (UAC) by close of Change of Preferences, 5 January 2012
Wait... So I still have time to change?

Dylanamali

HSC
Woah nice!! Hope you get into Med dude!! What is the cut-off for Advanced Science?
haha, yeah Med is the ultimate dream.. but we'll see, UMAT again next year =/, hoping for the best.
Ahh cut off for advanced science is only 91ish.. so the main thing I wanted to get was the scholarship, which I'm glad to have received. :)

Dylanamali

HSC
Wait... So I still have time to change?
Yeah.. I guess so.
But, I would ring up UWS and see if the emails only went out to 1st preference applicants..
and see if your ATAR was within the scholarship cut off or not, before moving it to 1st preference just for the scholarship when other courses may be accessible.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
^ I changed it to first and then sent an email asking.
If they say I'm not going to get the scholarship I'll weigh up my choices before making a decision.

Dylanamali

HSC
^ I changed it to first and then sent an email asking.
If they say I'm not going to get the scholarship I'll weigh up my choices before making a decision.
aight.. yeah post on my wall, once you get the reply.. I'm preety interested about what the cut off is this year.

Johno23

HSC
N/A
Hey, just giving you a heads up. It's not the top 6 students with the highest GPA's in the advanced science course that get offered a MBBS interview. After you reach the 5.5GPA cut-off (1yr full time), they rank the top UMAT scores from the Advanced Science, Advanced Medical Science & Advanced Natural Science students and only the top 6 get the interview. UWS has previously only had 1 Advanced Science course and thus made competition relatively poor, but this year they have added 2 Advanced Science courses which will made competition tougher for next year's entry. Just something to think about before you do a degree for the sole purpose of entering Medicine.

P.S. Did you get the Academic Scolarship or the Dean's Scholarship?

Dylanamali

HSC
Hey, just giving you a heads up. It's not the top 6 students with the highest GPA's in the advanced science course that get offered a MBBS interview. After you reach the 5.5GPA cut-off (1yr full time), they rank the top UMAT scores from the Advanced Science, Advanced Medical Science & Advanced Natural Science students and only the top 6 get the interview. UWS has previously only had 1 Advanced Science course and thus made competition relatively poor, but this year they have added 2 Advanced Science courses which will made competition tougher for next year's entry. Just something to think about before you do a degree for the sole purpose of entering Medicine.

Oh wow, are you sure about that? If so, could you provide me a link to the information.
I always thought that it was the top 6 GPA's, provided that those students had a UMAT higher than 50.

Yeah, my main goal is to enter medicine.. and this seems the most logical way to go about it, as the UMAT cut-off does seems to drop a little, if I were to obtain a top 6 position - having said that, I do realise that I still need a competitive UMAT as I will still be compared to other undergrad applicants after my interview.

But yeah, if I was to be unsuccessful in gaining a transfer to Medicine after that 1 year, I guess I would hope to obtain a transfer to USYD advanced science, however I'm not too sure how difficult/easy it is to transfer.

I received an Academic scholarship.. is there a difference between them? I know the amount of funding is the same.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
haha, I've been considering other uni's..
but in all honesty, my biggest aspiration and main goal is to get into medicine..
and if I manage to be ranked in the top 6 in adv sci at UWS then ill have an opportunity to get an interview for UWS medicine, which is ultimately the plan.

Having said that, I did receive a much greater ATAR than I had anticipated, and so I've considered other universities and courses, such as physiotherapy @ usyd and also bachelor of science/master of nutrition @ usyd.. but at the end of the day, I'm not ready to give up on my aspirations of becoming a doctor. So atm i'm 90% sure I'm going to go UWS for Adv Sci.. the fact that I will also be on a scholarship which should cover majority of my fees is also a bonus im not taking lightly.
Oh wow, are you sure about that? If so, could you provide me a link to the information.
I always thought that it was the top 6 GPA's, provided that those students had a UMAT higher than 50.

Yeah, my main goal is to enter medicine.. and this seems the most logical way to go about it, as the UMAT cut-off does seems to drop a little, if I were to obtain a top 6 position - having said that, I do realise that I still need a competitive UMAT as I will still be compared to other undergrad applicants after my interview.

But yeah, if I was to be unsuccessful in gaining a transfer to Medicine after that 1 year, I guess I would hope to obtain a transfer to USYD advanced science, however I'm not too sure how difficult/easy it is to transfer.

I received an Academic scholarship.. is there a difference between them? I know the amount of funding is the same.
If you transfer you loose your scholarship and they probably won't credit your elective subjects, ask Usyd if you can get credit before undertaking them, if that's ur backup plan.

Best of luck and Johno23 is spot on, the info is on the UWS SOM website. We go through this information at open day and UWS D-day, it's also in the prospectus, you can request one here: http://ehermes.uws.edu.au/uws_mac_appl.asp

UWS SOM said:
Advanced Science Pathway - Applicants who complete Year 1 (full time) of any of the three Advanced Science courses (Science, Medical Science or Natural Sciences) will be considered for an interview if they achieve a GPA of 5.5 or more, achieve 50 percentile or more in UMAT and have met all mandatory requirements of the Advanced Science course as advised by the Head of Program. There are a total of six spaces available for interview in this category (six in total, not six per course). If there are more eligible applicants than there are interview places, applicants will be ranked using their UMAT total percentile. http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)