UWS is soo backwards (1 Viewer)

lind27

HSC
Where do i start.
1. They barely have any online lectures so if your sick or something important comes up, your screwed.
2. The parking is woeful.
3. The administration department takes ages to process documents and loses advanced standing applications.
4. Some of the first year business subjects are not recognised by other institutions Eg. accounting info for managers is not recognised by uts.
5. Bad reputation when compared to other uni's. I got asked in an interview why i went to UWS when you could have gone else where. Why should it matter which uni someone goes to.
6. Can't get unit outlines online.

The good:
1. Helpful and generally easy to understand lecturers.
2. Good range of courses and majors.

Feel free to comment. I just needed to vent my frustration.

lolwth

Banned
HSC
whats wrong?

angry that you didnt get into business and commerace at uws?

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I guess it depends on the degree. Most of my subjects have online lectures, and if not, lecture notes. But my cohort are complaining that everything is being moved to online formats hahaha.

Parra parking is disgusting, I agree. I am lucky to be at Penrith and get parking most of the time.

Only some unit outlines are available through the library website. I usually post on vUWS in the school of psych board (I'm sure you would have had similar) asking for students to send me their old unit outlines before I enrol. Can't do this for the upcoming semester because all my subjects are new for 2010 grr.

Agreed on admin and reputation. The UWS bashing does get tiresome, but I'm determined that I will succeed no matter what.

Congrats on the successful transfer :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Where do i start.
1. They barely have any online lectures so if your sick or something important comes up, your screwed.
3. The administration department takes ages to process documents and loses advanced standing applications.
4. Some of the first year business subjects are not recognised by other institutions Eg. accounting info for managers is not recognised by uts.
5. Bad reputation when compared to other uni's. I got asked in an interview why i went to UWS when you could have gone else where. Why should it matter which uni someone goes to.

The good:

1. I understand they have been trialing online lectures in some units and it will probably happen in the future, probably a money issue
3. All uni admin is crap, we always have issues with it at MQ
6. Previous years unit outlines are avaliable on the library website and as far as I remember you could get the current ones off blackboard (vUWS) once you were enrolled.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Where do i start.

The good:

well you know, since you're from the 'northern beaches', i guess you're just fustrated you have to travel all the way to the western suburbs to go to uni..

..maybe if you worked just a bit harder, you'd of gone into UNSW/UTS/USYD straight away without having to transfer from MACQ to UWS to UTS
=D.

nah but in all honesty, they seem to have a good online system.
ie. you can enroll online, pick units, get results online where as for USYD you have to go to the uni to enrol on a particular day

lind27

HSC
well you know, since you're from the 'northern beaches', i guess you're just fustrated you have to travel all the way to the western suburbs to go to uni..

..maybe if you worked just a bit harder, you'd of gone into UNSW/UTS/USYD straight away without having to transfer from MACQ to UWS to UTS
=D.

nah but in all honesty, they seem to have a good online system.
ie. you can enroll online, pick units, get results online where as for USYD you have to go to the uni to enrol on a particular day
lol i just changed my mind to much i got 4 bonus points for uts business, i just thought doing a double degree would give me more options until i found it was boring as hell.

Yeh thats true there enrolment system is pretty straight forward.

Kai7918

HSC
N/A
Where do i start.

The good:

1. I have all my lectures online!!!
2. Parking at my campus has improved.
3. No comment.
6. all units outlines are available on9, library website...all the info about the text books are available as well.

h3da

HSC
Where do i start.

The good:

Well it doesn't really matter to you since you aren't at UWS anymore right? I think UWS is great.. The workload is so little so I'm able to fit work in.. Free scholarship money 2.2k a year.. People here aren't as stuck up as other unis.. can't get unit outlines online? they bloody provide u with it.. and plus i've never had a problem with that..

Bananaberry

HSC
What is some people's problem with ASKING lectures/tutors for stuff. Not everything in life is going to be put up on the net for you to access, you are going to have to do a lot of ASKING people for stuff. What is so hard about asking other people like fellow students for lectures notes, or the lectures for copies of their power points if you are away, and ASKING the unit coordinator for a copy of the unit outline, that you should get anyway in the first class.

I think a lot of people expect to get spoodfed by the teachers when they go to uni.

John0

HSC
I'm replying mainly in response to the supposedly bad rep UWS has. To be quite honest what uni do you go to and why is a pretty standard question for all graduate interviewers to ask. Whether or not they are implying that UWS has a bad reputation is irrelevant, it’s more important how you respond to these types of questions. Obviously UWS doesn't have a reputation that would rival other more prestigious universities; some people do have quite reasonable reasons for attending UWS instead of other uni's. At the end of the day its your responsibility to handle that particular interview question, riding on the rep of universities during interviews will only get you so far.

Bananaberry

HSC
Obviously if you put your education in your resume, interviewers will already know what uni you went too. In my experience I have never been asked anything about university, only what I have done previously in regards to work experience. I've never been asked for my transcripts or a copy of my degree.

rajputsingh

HSC
I've been reading this threead and thought I should comment. As I have been to UWS adn studied there be it only for a year this is what I have concluded:

-UWS is not backward ie the campus has great facilities for learning (emphasis on learning facilities and not social)

The problem with UWS and the reason why it is looked down upon is the students. Some students in my opinion (I know this will create some angst) do not deserve to attend university. From experience by their comments in tutorials, teir grades and just from their attitude, it is these students who bring down the reputation of UWS. For an example, in one of my Law seminars, one student didnt even bring the textbook-->this is not commitment and really annoying. To put it simply these people are fags. I tried my ass off in the HSC and gained above the uai that was needed for law at UWS yet the university allows people with substandard results and a lacking in attitude to attend the same course for which I tried and put actual effort in. Those who have been to UWS shoudl understand the types of students I am talking about eg those who joke about how bad they did, those who ask the stupidest questions, thise who try to answer a question and are completely wrong because they have not done the reading required from where a clear answer is proscribed. These students are the problem! It is not the academic staff, it is not the university itself to a degree but instead these students who believe they can breeze through uni and have a blast/ fun and do not recognise that they are screwing with people future!

Dawn65

HSC
N/A
I've been reading this threead and thought I should comment. As I have been to UWS adn studied there be it only for a year this is what I have concluded:

-UWS is not backward ie the campus has great facilities for learning (emphasis on learning facilities and not social)

The problem with UWS and the reason why it is looked down upon is the students. Some students in my opinion (I know this will create some angst) do not deserve to attend university. From experience by their comments in tutorials, teir grades and just from their attitude, it is these students who bring down the reputation of UWS. For an example, in one of my Law seminars, one student didnt even bring the textbook-->this is not commitment and really annoying. To put it simply these people are fags. I tried my ass off in the HSC and gained above the uai that was needed for law at UWS yet the university allows people with substandard results and a lacking in attitude to attend the same course for which I tried and put actual effort in. Those who have been to UWS shoudl understand the types of students I am talking about eg those who joke about how bad they did, those who ask the stupidest questions, thise who try to answer a question and are completely wrong because they have not done the reading required from where a clear answer is proscribed. These students are the problem! It is not the academic staff, it is not the university itself to a degree but instead these students who believe they can breeze through uni and have a blast/ fun and do not recognise that they are screwing with people future!
I agree.

Foodie

HSC
N/A
Where do i start.

The good:

2 - The parking is shocking, especially at Parramatta campus, but it's also very cheap in comparison with other universities. You get what you pay for -- take public transport if you don't like it.

6 - You can get unit outlines online, unless you've never bothered to find that out for yourself.

Other than this, I'd say the biggest problems with UWS is:

1 - non-existent (until recently) unified student union where societies could be registered (like all other unis)

3 - lack of food outlets (only 2) on campus and no ATM!!

2 - the amount of slackers that they let in. I guess the whole supply-demand thing is to blame. I have come across many lazy, uncouth students who talk casually about plagiarizing highly weighted assessments. I have always been unfortunate enough to be grouped with these kind of people in graded group assessments, where I ended up having to pull the weight for someone else. I generally enroll in evening classes because there are more mature students who take their studies seriously. This significantly detracted from my experience at UWS. As a side note, I was at UTS for a year and while it is not a prestigious uni by any means, the students I have come across were much more disciplined.

Some major pluses:

- Enrollment system and tutorial registration is super easy and a lot of evening classes are scheduled making working a day job extremely accommodating.
- Good lecturers and teachers (not counting those that need to refine their English communication skills before leading a lecture)
- Cheap parking

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)