UWS Medicine Degree DILEMMA! (1 Viewer)

harunalover123

HSC
So I graduated this year and wasn't really impressed with my ATAR. You see I was aiming for UNSW ans USyd but I only got an ATAR for UWS. My parents aren't really happy since they had big expectations. Now, can someone pls tell me that Med in UWS isn't that bad. Everyone is judging the uni and I need to convince my parents about going to UWS. I really want to do medicine and I want to help people. I've heard teaching is subpar and the facilities are underfunded!!! Pls tell me that's not true?!?!?

Rayzablade

HSC
tell them you get a free iPad and they'll let you go :p

In all seriousness, I heard that their teaching isn't too good and that maybe you will have a lesser chance of getting a job as opposed to a UNSW/USyd student but if you really want to do med I'd suggest you to tell your parents that there's no other better option...

Last edited:

Immortalp00n

HSC
Med is med wherever u go.
Its not like business or law where the students from the higher unis have the upper hand..
And from what ive heard crom friends, uws med has good facilities, free ipad, clinical work starting firdt yr( i dont think many unis do this)
Depending on where u live u could also be eligible for scholarships etc..

J18134

HSC
Why not do Science/ Science (advanced) or soemthing like that and do medicine post grad. The science degree will give you a good grounding and allow you to still do medicine at unsw or usyd

Immortalp00n

HSC
Bullshit^
As if ur gonna pass up an opportunity for med to do sci in the hope to
Do post grad med( gamsat) and all for what? Coz parents dont like the sound of uws :/

cheepy5

HSC
Its hard enough getting in to med, if Uws gives you an offer take it straight away you'd be stupid to turn it down if your parents don't like the supposed image of uws. If med is your dream and you really want to help people then go for it, when you graduate you'll get accreditation by the AMA any way so you would be able to practice med.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't go to UWS. It's terrible.

1 down, ~350 to go. Then I'm in.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Med is med wherever u go.
Its not like business or law where the students from the higher unis have the upper hand..
And from what ive heard crom friends, uws med has good facilities, free ipad, clinical work starting firdt yr( i dont think many unis do this)
Depending on where u live u could also be eligible for scholarships etc..
I agree with this 100%.

Medicine is medicine - no matter what school, it will be good enough and AFAIK, MBBS is very good, even at UWS.

drewbles

HSC
Uni Grad
doctors will become unemployed when everyone in the world becomes immortal. What are the odds? A med degree is a med degree man. But as with anything else, you'd want to do as well as you can in your course to improve your chances of employability (or being accepted to study a specialty etc). If you're really turned off by the thought of UWS then maybe consider graduate pathways or reapplying as an undergraduate after one (or more) year(s) of study? How'd you go in the UMAT man??? If you're good with that then don't rule out the option of reapplying from a science degree!

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
sure everyone who graduates medicine will get a job and will become a doctor, but thats only half the picture. i have seen discrimination first hand between med schools here in VIC. if you graduated from deakin you have almost 0 chance of scoring an internship at the alfred or any other city hospital. its a bit different in NSW since its a ballot system for internships, but from residency onwards, it DOES matter.
if your hopes are to become a regular doctor in the greater-western sydney community and helping where its actually needed then take the offer. if you want to become a leading orthopaedic surgeon running the department at RPA then go for grad med.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
There are only two reasons to not go to USYD or UNSW. I like to call them the two M's. Money or Medicine. Go to UWS.

fatboi

HSC
N/A
dr fresh is a bullshit artist of the tenth degree

lets sort some shit out

1) no one cares which med school you go to
1.1) it's not like going to one uni will open up a hidden tome of knowledge for you and make you a better doc, it's simply what you put in
2) your internship in NSW will be randomly allocated
3) after that, you are merely judged on how good you are as a doctor, how much extra stuff you've done (research, teaching, etc) and your ability, your uni matters not.

So go to UWS and enjoy the fact you finish 1 year earlier than people in UNSW and 2 years before USyD people

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
dr fresh is a bullshit artist of the tenth degree

lets sort some shit out

1) no one cares which med school you go to
1.1) it's not like going to one uni will open up a hidden tome of knowledge for you and make you a better doc, it's simply what you put in
2) your internship in NSW will be randomly allocated
3) after that, you are merely judged on how good you are as a doctor, how much extra stuff you've done (research, teaching, etc) and your ability, your uni matters not.

So go to UWS and enjoy the fact you finish 1 year earlier than people in UNSW and 2 years before USyD people
1) okay cool story bro. evidence?
2) i already said internship was ballot in my post. obviously u have troubles with comprehension. but from residency onwards its based on ur credentials.
3) to an extent. your uni matters.

stop making bold statements when u clearly dont know anything about the subject kid.

fatboi

HSC
N/A
1) okay cool story bro. evidence?
2) i already said internship was ballot in my post. obviously u have troubles with comprehension. but from residency onwards its based on ur credentials.
3) to an extent. your uni matters.

stop making bold statements when u clearly dont know anything about the subject kid.
the day you get into a college

is the day you move to america and apply to Maricopa Community College

your "credentials" is everything you do AFTER grad. To say that ANY post grad medical college would EVEN look at your university is just ridiculous.

As for my references, how about you look up the CV scoring system for RACS/RACP etc

advice to op

accept any med offer, and don't be another conceited med student who think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

starshine02

HSC
If you really wanted to do medicine, then you wouldn't really mind how 'prestigious' a university is.

Anyways you get a free ipad if you go uws. If you don't like the course there after you've started it then you can just apply to move to another university later.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
If you really wanted to do medicine, then you wouldn't really mind how 'prestigious' a university is.

Anyways you get a free ipad if you go uws. If you don't like the course there after you've started it then you can just apply to move to another university later.
theoretically, if you transfer....can you keep the iPad XD?

starshine02

HSC
can't transfer between med school easily
Can't get into med school easily either.

OP should take the offer unless they want to try postgrad med.

Btw OP, you should decide for yourself what course you want to do, not your parents. If you don't like the course at uws then choose to do postgrad.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)