UWS medicine gets the go-ahead by AMC (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Probably couldn't start interviews till they were accredited. But yeah, it'd suck entering a course which wasn't approved in its own country.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I'm so transferring into there after first year watever i get into

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
also u end up wasting yrs in another degree with no intention of completing

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Just because UWS has a new medicine course doesn't mean it's going to be a breeze to get into. It will be easier than USYD, UNSW and UNewcastle, but it's still an extremely advanced degree. They will still only accept students with high UAIs, UMAT scores and university-level marks.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I dont this its as easy as that.
No one said it was gonna b easy:p I asked them about it and they just said its the same as normal first year transfer except for the UMAT/Interview however, they expect the entrance marks to rise heaps over the next few years. And yeah...if i don't make it in I'll always have a law degree (hopefully)

sam said:
Just because UWS has a new medicine course doesn't mean it's going to be a breeze to get into. It will be easier than USYD, UNSW and UNewcastle, but it's still an extremely advanced degree. They will still only accept students with high UAIs, UMAT scores and university-level marks.
Yeah i agree with you, however it still provides another option for those wishin to enter medicine.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
It might squeeze UNCLE out since it also has a 5 year course, and it actually is in Sydney, though it takes me longer to get to Campbelltown than it does for me to get to Newcastle.
The distance for me would still be a hassle

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah hills district sucks for travel... so most ppl move closer to uni..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah hills district sucks for travel... so most ppl move closer to uni..
Its horrible if I was to want to get to UNSW i reckon...MQ is quite close to me and UWS Parra isn't that far...my bro did quite well getting to UTS by bus from here tho

volta

HSC
Because the government is not providing the infrastructure to handle this increase in student numbers. When the so-called 'tsunami' of new students graduate there will be massive competition for training places because no extra numbers have been allocated. I have seen the effect even in my pre-clinical years of my course; because of the huge number of students to a cadaver our anatomy sessions have lost their effectiveness and one can go through the entire course without having dissected.

The government AND universities have to take other steps to deal with these issues.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
transferring into med is not as easy as transferring into any other degree after 1 year
Hi Ari

For 2007 entry you needed a UAI of 92 or above or a GPA of 5.5 or above to be eligible to apply for Medicine.

If you didn't do your HSC but have done other accredited courses through work you can see if UAC - http://www.uac.edu.au/ - or our Admissions people - admissions@uws.edu.au - can calculate you an academic rank which must equate to a UAI of 92 or above.

For 2008 entry these marks could be increased so I suggest you regularly check our website next year.

Also you would need to sit UMAT on 25 July 2007 - contact Australian Council for Educational Research http://www.acer.edu.au who run the UMAT exam.

Then there is an interview process for successful applicants.

I hope this helps you.

Jill Harvey
Executive Assistant
UWS School of Medicine
This is an email I received from them a few weeks back in regard to entry into the course as a first year 'transfer'.

kloudsurfer

HSC
volta said:
Because the government is not providing the infrastructure to handle this increase in student numbers. When the so-called 'tsunami' of new students graduate there will be massive competition for training places because no extra numbers have been allocated. I have seen the effect even in my pre-clinical years of my course; because of the huge number of students to a cadaver our anatomy sessions have lost their effectiveness and one can go through the entire course without having dissected.

The government AND universities have to take other steps to deal with these issues.
Fair enough.
By the way, I wasn't arguing with you or anything, i hadn't thought about it that way. Good point.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
thing is hospitals are state run and funded..so the teachers are funded by state..

the uni places are funded by federal monies..

so there is a difficulty gettin them to work together.

i dissected.. ure not missing out on much..

volta

HSC
I managed to do adequate dissection throughout the course but others didn't get this oppurtunity.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i still think it is overrated...and a waste of resources

anatomy tutors would be better served..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)