V (weights) (1 Viewer)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
If im looking to gain a V shaped body, what kind of exercises should i be doing with say 2 9kg dumbbells? What if i have no weights/gym equipment?

tia

Mumma

HSC
Eh.. that would be pretty hard.. youd need to work out the upper back, chest, abs im guessing. I dunno, shoulder shrugs, dumbell benchpress (but with 18kg? meh), no goddamn idea,

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
wide grip pull up, dont even need weights, until you can do quite alot of them easily. also make sure you do shoulders - shoulder press, lateral & front raise. you can do rows, but i think you need heavier weights, but if your just a begginer, then it should be fine.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah i really can't feel anything with the dumbbell benchpresses unless i do 30+ in a row.

but with front & lat raises i can JUST lift them to the horizontal, are you suppose to be able to hold the horizontal position?

also, how long should i be resting between sets? and how many sets?

funniboi

HSC
if oyu only have 9kg dumbells you should be doing more rep anyway.. but yeah, usually when i used to goto the gym, i hurt more the day after, then when im actualy doing the sets. so yeah, dont expect to feel it right away.

but yeah, usually a quick rest, dont rest for too long, and don't go hard out on one thing leaving you with no energy for the next set, start off with maybe 3 sets

i recommend you goto a gym if you awnt to get a v shape body
because you also need to do your fair share of cardio and get toned.

Keen

MD
HSC
To be making the muscles bigger you ned to be doing about 80-90% of the maximum weight you can do once (one rep). Do this for 8-12 repetitions for 3-6 sets and you need to keep pushing yourself to force the muscles to hypertrophy (get big).
Read a book (a relevant edition of Mens Health is usually good, or actual weight training), and go to the gym (uni gym is cheap if you go to uni).
And you should have results within 1-2 months (going 2-3 times a week).

Keen

madmanjd

HSC
miss_gtr said:
having a good bod is so overrated
way to spoil everyones fun...:p
either way its more than just the body...its the ability to lift heavy things, which leads to a large amount of useless raw strenght which cannot be used...

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
and i suppose you like sonny bill because he's such an intellectual?

BeastieBoy

HSC
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

your going to need to buy some equipment, (few hundred dollars worth or go to the gym), heaps of food and time. you will not get a decent body in 2-3 months. it will take at least 6 months of doing everything perfectly. then in a year you will have the shape your looking for.

go to that forum i linked. will get you started, but theres a LOT to learn.

funniboi

HSC
there's more to body building then just "so others can see ur body", i did bodybuilding as a hobby just to satisfy myself to see myself growstronger and bigger,

you have to follow a strict diet and also buy protein powder to make protein shakes to help your muscles recover, and such. if you're really into body building and want to do it for competition and such (which i doubt) it will take way more then 6months to get to that stage. but yeah, you gotta be consistant too, like, i havnt been to the gym for about 6 months now, and i dont thikn i can incline/decline/press as much as i used to back then.

and also, make sure you warm up your muscles before you work out, and stretch. lol.

and if you wanna 'feel' your muscles getting worked out, try doing squats :)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Jago said:
If im looking to gain a V shaped body, what kind of exercises should i be doing with say 2 9kg dumbbells? What if i have no weights/gym equipment?

tia
To gain a 'V-shaped body' you have to cause maximum change to the parts of the body which provide the perception or reality of a v-shape.

Back - the back is one of the most important body parts in relation to the 'v-shape'. You will need to increase the width of your lats. Some exercises which may be helpful:
- Lat pullups
- Lat pulldowns
- Dumbell rows

Shoulders - the shoulders are also an important elements in the v-shape appearance. The wider your shoulders/chest in relation to your waist - the more 'v-shaped' you will appear. Thus, a small waist also helps.
Like back, there are so many exercises for shoulders. A couple include:
- Dumbell Presses
- Lateral Raises
- Upright rows (wide grip)

However, I highly doubt you will see great changes with such little equipment. The weight you have is obviously too little as you have to do 30 reps before you experience any discomfort. You should be going to FAILURE between 6 - 12 reps.

Don't neglect nutrition either.

7th Sign

HSC
i just do 2 x 12kg dumbells in repetations of 20 in 2 or 3 sets...

madmanjd

HSC
yeah but as its been said before, thats too many reps. and what do u do with them exactly?

hYperTrOphY said:
Like back, there are so many exercises for shoulders. A couple include:
- Dumbell Presses
dont dumbell presses work the chest? or do u mean military-press style dumbell presses?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah, i thought those weights might've been too light to cause any change. oh well, good practice for keeping a routine i suppose...

madmanjd

HSC
they'd make a good warmup :p
but seriously just join the local pcyc its fuckin cheap and they have pretty good equipment, if u look at fitness first they have tons of useless stuff only old ppl use anyways :p

Pace_T

HSC
shouldnt ask on this forum
too many ppl that dont know anything n u will be mislead
listen to hypertrophy n speedy, they know what their talking about
basically, what you want to do is widen your back, this is what makes the v shape.
do wide grip pull ups (if you can) for heavy (8-10 reps) 4 sets. (of course after a warm up). then do 4 sets of another 8-10 reps with close grip.
i can't remember, but i think wide grip works the upper lats, while close grip works the lower part of the lats.
also, to thicken your back, bent over dumbell raises (i think that's what they are called). but i think maybe ur dumbells r too light.
you also want to widen ur shoulders by doing dumbell side lateral raises which does the lateral deltoid head of your shoulders. no less than 10 reps for this, perfect form (no cheating) is essential coz otherwise culd stuff up ur shoulders.

nutrition is very important also. no matter how much u try u could never gain n e muscle unless you eat heaps (and healthy). General rule of thumb - if your not full, you should be eating.

just remember that this number of reps and sets is for mass building. dont just go start doing this straight away, work up to those reps/sets by starting off with around 15 reps and fewer sets. oh, and if you aren't failing (that is, struggling for another rep without cheating) or close to it on ur last reps, then you are wasting ur time.

i personally followed this n got awesome results in a short period of time.

http://exrx.net/Exercise.html
go to exercise body map

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
dont dumbell presses work the chest? or do u mean military-press style dumbell presses?
DB Press - bench almost vertical pressing the dumbbells up (shoulders)

DB Bench Press - laying flat/incline/decline and pressing the dumbbells up (chest)

Pace_T

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
DB Press - bench almost vertical pressing the dumbbells up (shoulders)

DB Bench Press - laying flat/incline/decline and pressing the dumbbells up (chest)
Yep, the DB press is for the front of the shoulders (the anterior delts). An incline DB bench press is very much similar to the DB press (IIRC, my memory's fading now..), though the inclined DB bench press mainly works the clavicular head of the pecs (upper pecs) because it is more horizontal. (I think it's a 45 degree angle)

Refer to that link I posted, it's really helpful when linking the exercise with the targeted muscles.

When exercising the shoulders keep in mind that they are small muscle groups and shouldn't have too much stress on them. Perfect form is a must with all shoulder exercises and no more than a few sets in total for each head of the muscle. They are very easy to over work (especially the lateral delts which make you look wider)

Jaydels

HSC
Jago said:

tia
start swimming training...its less painful

funniboi

HSC
Pace_T said:
shouldnt ask on this forum
too many ppl that dont know anything n u will be mislead

if someone doesn't know about something, i dont think they would reply to the topic and give misleading information. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)