Venezuela backs Iran's stance (1 Viewer)

sly fly

HSC
2006/01/28
Venezuela backs Iran's stance

Buenos Aires, Jan 28 - Venezuela fully supports Iran's anti-imperialistic stance, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said at a ceremony held recently in La Paz, Bolivia.

Addressing the ceremony, also attended by Iranian ambassador to Venezuela Ahmad Sobhani, Chavez noted that US imperialism these days has been targetting Iran's Islamic Revolution.

A La Paz university hosted a ceremony granting Chavez an honorary doctorate. Chavez, in his acceptance speech, praised Iran as an "outstanding model" in the struggle against US imperialism, and said "The Iranian nation's historical defeat of imperialism in the 20th century through the leadership of (the late) Imam Khomeini had made it possible for them to take control of their own resources."

"The imperialist US is against Iran because Iranians now control their own strategic resources and potentials," said the president, who assured Iranians that Venezuelans were with them in their strugge.

Chavez, who distinctively called Sobhani the "special guest" in the ceremony, praised the "great" Iranian nation which, he said, is currently facing great pressure in the face of US ire.

"Mr. ambassador, people of Iran, be sure that we are with you and we greet you -- Salam Alaykum," said the president who is one of the popular heads of state in Latin America due to his anti-imperialistic stances.

Chavez further described the US as a "blood-thirsty bat" which would eventually be sucked out of life by its own people. If we do not bring down imperialism, it will bring us down and generations to come," asserted the president.

http://victoria.indymedia.org/news/2006/01/48476.php

davin

HSC
N/A
ah, venezuela, now there's a sign you're on the winning side.
seriously though, american policy hasn't been happy with iran in decades, its not like this is news. though i don't see how this is suddenly an america vs iran thing, but chavez seems to like going publicly at the u.s.

sly fly

HSC
Well I heard that although Venezuela isn't exactly strong militarily, it does have oil exports to the US which if they choose to cut off, their economy would suffer greatly. That would explain why the US govt is trying so hard to assassinate chavez and install a puppet.

Waf - I'm not sure about that

nedzelic

HSC
bravo al presidente. it's about time the americas stood up; che cuevarra style

down with the USA!

davin

HSC
N/A
if oil is cut off to the U.S. by venezuela, it won't hurt the U.S., there are other sources. If they cut production, it'll hurt every oil-buying nation. Its the nature of how the oil market is set up.
course, i'm also not sure what you mean by the U.S. gov't trying to assassinate Chavez.

Raginsheep

HSC
Chavez've been harping on about alledged american plots to assassinate him for at least a few years now. Nothing new really.

Bennett88

Club Sandwiches not Seals
HSC
davin said:
i'm also not sure what you mean by the U.S. gov't trying to assassinate Chavez.
Oh I couldn't possibly see the US government assassinating anyone.

Actually didn't a high profile religious figure (or senator?) come out a few months ago imploring the government to take out Chavez?

HSC
Re: Liechtenstein backs Irans stance

ROFL, Liechtenstein, bahahahahahahahahahaha.

davin

HSC
N/A
a religious whack job did (pat robertson, i think), and everyone across the spectrum said no. that he has his band of supporters doesn't mean that he represents general popular sentiment

course, there is also that the u.s. isn't allowed to covertly assassinate, though i believe have, in past, had agencies of allied nations that can do that do that.

davin

HSC
N/A
thinking he might've skimmed over it too fast to notice or something...

davin

HSC
N/A
well, they are both oil producing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)