Very important questions (1 Viewer)

Golani

O.k. i have some VERY important questions, as i'm a very serious and ambitious student and i would like to know exactly what awaits me in my HSC.

1. I'm very familiar with this site's version of how the calculation of moderation of marks and important of rank and i honestly agree with it. The problem is that my legal studies teacher, which is also the social sciences head teacher, she still claims that the assessment mark weighs 50% of our final mark (i.e. final mark is the average of the assessment and exam mark). What's happening hereeeee........
If she's wrong then let me just varify this, i'm currently ranked 1st by a considerable margin from the second, in this case all i need is a decent mark to finish up first overall. The mark doesn't matter except for the determination of the rank right?
And does the margin from the rest of the class makes any difference in the calculation of the UAI.

2. Could i be scaled down due to poor performance of my school mates in the HSC?

3. Is it true that there are plans to abandon the rank system this year or next year in the case that the results of the hsc exam are very different to the results of the assessment mark (rank-wise). I.e. if the ranks totally change from what they were in the assessment mark would the student coming first in his school still get the highest mark in the HSC evern tho he went very different, and likewise for a lot of the people topping the school.

4. Is it true that achieving band 6's all around in the hsc would give you a uai of over 95 assuming you take o.k. subjects, namely Modern Hebrew, Classical Hebrew, CLassical Hebrew Extention, ESL English, Legal Studies and Business Studies.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
1. yes it doesn't matter what mark as long as you are ranked first

2. You are immune to any form of marks changing that will affect your assessment if you are coming first

3. No idea

4. should be :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
what kind of people studies Hebrew?? (no offence, the question is aim at asking what country of people)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
u sound like you just drank 10 bottles of alcohol :p

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
1. I think your marks matter if your NOT coming first. Right Cyph?

Golani

O.k. thanks for your help ragerunner and cygh and everyone who helped, i'm feeling much more confident now!!!
Btw survivor39 people who do classical hebrew are mostly jewish people, some are from israel (like myself) and some are australians...and it ranks pretty well i think just below 40. :p

Cheerz :cool:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
For clarification...

3) The rank system would never be totally abandoned. However, it has been the case for a number of years that where a student's performance in the HSC exam is markedly different to what was to be expected on the basis of their assessment mark/rank, that student is initially excluded from the moderating process. This is to avoid an unreasonable influence on the marks of their classmates. Instead, they are 'slotted in' according to their assessment rank (and relative differences and so on) after the moderating is complete.

4) The average UAI for the 2002 all rounders was (roughly) 99.40. The lowest UAI received by a student on the 2002 all rounders list was 95.40. That student took the following courses:

Chemistry (Band 6)
English Advanced (Band 4)
Mathematics (Band 6)
Mathematics Extension 1 (Band E4)
Arabic Continuers (Band 6)
Arabic Extension (Band E4)
French Beginners (Band 6)

pri

HSC
N/A
how badly is french beginners and arabic scaled?!?

on a side note, I do visual arts, is that scaled so horribly it would skew my UAI?

pri

HSC
N/A
*wipes forehead*

thank god for that! hopefully my art mark will be that good :D

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus

4) The average UAI for the 2002 all rounders was (roughly) 99.40. The lowest UAI received by a student on the 2002 all rounders list was 95.40. That student took the following courses:

Chemistry (Band 6)
English Advanced (Band 4)
Mathematics (Band 6)
hey laz, where do you manage to get all these stats?

is a roflcopter
HSC
how many people got allrounders last year?

Golani

arrg pardon my ingorance, but all rounders are students who achieve 3 or more band 6 exam marks aren't they?

Golani

That is crazy......arrg oh well only 8 units to go for me lol

Quoting Laz:

Chemistry (Band 6)
<b>English Advanced (Band 4)</b>
Mathematics (Band 6)

Don't mean to be pitty but how does that work then, if it's a typo then sorry in advance :eek:

Oh btw any idea what percentage are all rounders of the whole candidature....just interested :)

cheerz

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
maths ext1 and arabic ext1 the max is band 4 which is equivalent to band 6 in a 2U subject

I THINK.

Golani

yeah yeah max for extentions is band 4 but if he's got band 6 for eng advanced he's sweet....

arabic continuers fucked him up real bad if that was like swedish or hebrew or whatever BOOM he would be up there even more

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
hey laz, where do you manage to get all these stats?
I occasionally get sent useful tidbits and manage to dig up interesting pieces of info... dedication... research... resourcefulness... or just knowing the right people. :)

Originally posted by Golani
Don't mean to be pitty but how does that work then, if it's a typo then sorry in advance
What do you mean? A student only needs to achieve the top band in 10 units to be on the all rounders list... and the student I was referring to did just that with their other 10 units.

Originally posted by Golani
Oh btw any idea what percentage are all rounders of the whole candidature....just interested :)
There were 688 students on the all rounders list and ~65,000 HSC students in total, which would be ~1%.

Golani

O.k. thanks for all the stats Laz i know what you meannow because i thought that all rounders are only for band 6ers, but yeah top band for extention courses is also cool.

Golani

O.k. i would just like to have this clarification please:
If a person goes relatively not good in his assessment marks and therefore achieves a bad rank such as 15th, and then goes really well in his HSC will will still get the 15th mark plus his exam mark / 2 as his final mark.

Let me demonstrate:
will a 99 exam mark plus a 15th rank will lead to- 99 + 50 (say its the fifteenth mark) / 2 = 74.5 ?

O.k. and last question, if a person achieves the rank of 3rd in the school, will he get the third best mark as his moderated mark (i.e. if the fits is 95, then 90 then 85 he will get that) or he recieves the third mark in accordance with rank (i.e. if the first 2 people gte the same mark, will he get the next mark or the mark after that?)?

thanks you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)