viva voce (1 Viewer)

gez

hey. i hav to do a viva voce on my instrment n it repertoire (alto sax) i really cant understand waht im sposed to do....cud someone throw me a hand please..
oxox

gez

yes...how do u no me n what hav i done?...is this robbie from figtree?

Last edited:

hybrid-stigmata

Space.Monkey
HSC
My assignement is a viva voce as well. All it basically is is a verbal presentation where questions may be asked and answered without being written :)..well thats what it says on my assignment sheet.
Hope thats a little help for you :)

vas y molo

the topic is pretty broad (well I know it is as far as performance goes :S)

Maybe you could do something on the typical techniques of an alto sax and how they keep interest in a bunch of songs.

???

no idea.

we were lucky, we did 20th century and i did how Mariah pioneered the 'collaboration' trend.

i got a good mark too!! :D

banana_custard

HSC
I don't know how your viva's being marked, but the question that we got had several different options - they're pretty self-explanatory:

1) Broad overview of entire repertoire, focus on particular style for each period of musical history and comment on how repertoire has changed/developed

2) Focus on various styles of repertoire composed for instrument in one period – how it has changed/developed. Impact of technology on repertoire (e.g. development of piano).

There were other parts, but I can't find my sheet. Hope this helps...

Last edited:

compo^_^guy

HSC
i actually just did a viva voce for my half yearly assesment, but it was for my composition(im doing ext. comp) and i sat down for half an hour and talked about my composition, like my intentions and problems and stuff. They mark on stuff like how fluently you can speak music type language/terms and stuff like that, i did pretty well...

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
this may change depending on what you get taught and assessed on, but heres a simple guide.

The viva itself is a sort of musical discussion between you and the HSC examiners.

What happens is you study a topic and learn it inside out - then you put a summary of everything you know onto a summary sheet. You hand this sheet to the examiners and they ask you questions only on what is based on your sheet.

What do you study?? Well:

Choose a topic (in your case instrument and its rep')
Choose a focus (can be anything, but make it specific.. eg role of alto sax in jazz)
Research your focus
Complete aural, prac and comp. work within your chosen focus

you should have a portfolio to put all of the above info in

You should talk to your teacher. This is how ours was set out but yours might be totally different.
Good Luck!

kibb

HSC
nah that sounds about right.... the best way to pepare for these is write up a bunch of question and then get family to smply ask you these questions so that you are able to practice.... just my advice... also you wanna pick one main idea that you are goin to carry through and back it up with examples... also remember to play excerpts as examples to again prove the idea you are tryin communicate

bennyboy249

HSC
Help!

Hey,

i need some help. i'm doing a viva voce on an instrument and it's reportoir, which is the Piano. I did pretty well in my last viva, which was on Igor Stravinsky (ahhh!)...i got 95%...(just like to brag, lol!)

I just found as many musical terms on manuscript (which i had put onto overheads) and described them. BUT i have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what to do for my viva on the piano...any thoughts anyone???

I'll be checking back asap...so anyone, feel free to reply OR (preferrably) give me an email at bennyboy249@hotmail.com

Thanx

Ben, year 12 (first term)

banana_custard

HSC
I don’t play the piano myself, so I don’t really know a lot about it, but what you could do is examine how techniques in playing the piano have changed over time, for example twentieth century techniques like prepared piano (techniques are good for giving hands-on examples, rather than just a cd or tape), as well as the way in which the piano itself has developed – both in how it’s made, and its position (or lack thereof) in the orchestra.

Hope that this helps...

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
i am soo jealous...i have to do a viva voce on music between 16th-19th century........intrument and its repetiore wud have been soo much easier for me!

NOT EVEN HAPPY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)