vocab for eng (1 Viewer)

Julie Y

HSC
how do you enhance your vocabulary for englissh ?
like using sophisticated language
-read dictionary everyday ?
-any books that contains many hard words?

steph xx

HSC
no, do not read books that contain "hard" words; that's ridiculous. you simply read. read what interests you, i'm sure you'll soon get bored and move on to something more adult and sophisticated.

don't try consciously to "enhance" your vocab; these things come naturally and with time. soon, it might even spill over into your speech. it occasionally happens with me.
bliss.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Read more books. You learn new words as you go along.

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
As the others have said, read more frequently and a wider variety of books.

If you go out of your way to increase your vocabulary by, say, reading a dictionary most of the words you choose will be out of context, unnatural, and markers can usually tell.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
- Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010 or etc.
- Shift F7
- Thesaurus

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As the others have said, read more frequently and a wider variety of books.

If you go out of your way to increase your vocabulary by, say, reading a dictionary most of the words you choose will be out of context, unnatural, and markers can usually tell.

Frequently we can tell because it simply doesn't sound right because you are using the 'word' without the understanding of the word.

Read more and write more is the advice I give my students and the reading can be about anything not just what you are studying although that has its pluses of course - read fiction and non-fiction on the same topic area and you will/should see a difference in the type of words being used.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
try improving your spelling first.
but other than that, reading newspapers works for me and don't neglect any unfamiliar words. make a point of looking them up

infatuated-x3

Procrastinator
HSC
try improving your spelling first.
but other than that, reading newspapers works for me and don't neglect any unfamiliar words. make a point of looking them up
as well as writing them down in a little notepad + try using it in a sentence :)

HSC
Uni Grad
just eventually start using elevated vocabulary in your life, but not to the point where your vocabulary becomes so sophisticated that you talk to people in a manner that they don't understand you...

there's no need to use such sophisticated vocabulary as it would be better if the sentences you made stuck to the point instead of being descriptive and blabbing on about random shit

the first key would to look up word definitions for words you don't understand....
second off you should start using some of those words when you write...

brendroid

HSC
If you read a book and you find a word you like, write it down and make a note to use it.

And just read in general - read anything you can get your hands on. You'll only know how to write a good story if you've read a good book. How else will you know what you're trying to aspire to and how to string words together to create your desired effect?

hn92

HSC
-research the area you are investigating on google to find some good terms related to your coursework. eg - for texts you are examining in english, google some critical readings about the book itself, this should hopefully equip you with some useful vocab and words.
-contrary to what the person above me says, try to read more sophisticated texts. find words or phrases pertinent to your area of study to drop during essays.
-good vocab and dropping sophisticated words and english metalanguage related to your study in your essays can make an essay standout against other mediocre ones, as silly as it sounds. read sophisticated texts related to your set english texts and this will help improve your marks. particularly, english teachers invariably love sophisticated techniques. so research some !
best of luck.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
If you read a book and you find a word you like, write it down and make a note to use it.

And just read in general - read anything you can get your hands on. You'll only know how to write a good story if you've read a good book. How else will you know what you're trying to aspire to and how to string words together to create your desired effect?
i hate reading books. I think i've completed 3 in the past 5 years. Doesn't mean i haven't written good short stories in English though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)