• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

VSU Impending - WHAT CAN YOU DO? R00fledoodleZ (2 Viewers)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
I doubt studying accounting is going to help you understand as many social issues as a sociology course (Arts) does. Similarly studying business associations has little to do with valid opinions regarding the role of government institutions and policy choices in comparison to someone studying politics (Arts). I might also ask where you find justice in science and maths - someone studying philosophy (Arts) will have a far greater understanding than someone studying those subjects.

It is not only disingenuous to say that those involved with Arts type subjects are more likely to have less valid opinions, it would in fact be the opposite.
Hmm....I think that's generalising a bit there. It also depends on the individual and the interest they take in the issues which are raised. To say that someone studying sociology will have a greater understanding of social issues on face value is a valid assumption. However, not all students studying sociology may have an interest in sociology and in fact may not even understand the issues raised. I speak firsthand from politics and policy studies courses i have done where students do not have an interest as is demonstrated by silent tutorials where yourself and one or two other ppl are the ones actively participating.

In terms of the justice in science, well it depends on the science. Philosophy, Psychology, Human Geography are all sciences containing areas of study that are relevant to social issues.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
neo_o said:
The idea of a mens officer is stupid, as is the idea of having a women's officer. As is the idea of having both queer, and straight officers, and personally the idea of clubs that encourage the membership of a single race - are also stupid (I draw a distinction between 'racial clubs' such as the Chinese club at UNSW and clubs that focus on a particular culture.

However, in regards to all of the above roles, A single gender office would be sufficient to deal with :

- Men's and women's health.
- Counselling for men and women.
- Distribution of contraceptives.
- And the like.

Unions are refusing to recognise the needs of people that aren't gay, and whom aren't women i.e.: Quite a few of their members. When VSU rolls around though, they'll have to try and work for EVERYONE'S membership.
Oh i agree! i think all the different officers is stupid, but i think if you for whatever need a Womens officer you might as well have a mens officer because u kno... Men aren't perfect.
Stop discriminating against women, god, u must think men are so great they never need assistance but women? weak little girls? gee they definately need all the help they can get!!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
I won't rest until women adorn the computer wallpapers around campus.
USyd is in need of a swimsuit (or similar) calendar, I think. Actually, that may be something that the Union should consider... With the SRC out of the way, who would complain?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Generator said:
USyd is in need of a swimsuit (or similar) calendar, I think. Actually, that may be something that the Union should consider... With the SRC out of the way, who would complain?
Why would they complain?
Seriously there's two sides to the argument of 'swimsuit calenders/competitions'.

1. It's denegrating to women

2. It empowers women. Women should be allowed to do whatever they want, be displayed however they want. If a girl wants to dress sexy, so be it, and if this makes other girls want to dress sexy? well that was THEIR choice.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Why would they complain?
Seriously there's two sides to the argument of 'swimsuit calenders/competitions'.

1. It's denegrating to women

2. It empowers women. Women should be allowed to do whatever they want, be displayed however they want. If a girl wants to dress sexy, so be it, and if this makes other girls want to dress sexy? well that was THEIR choice.
It was a light-hearted comment (an attempt at one, anyway).

Rorix

HSC
Generator said:
It was a light-hearted comment (an attempt at one, anyway).

We'll find the best of campus through a variety of trial knockout competitions and combine them into one calender, selling a shitload of beer along the way.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Rorix said:
We'll find the best of campus through a variety of trial knockout competitions and combine them into one calender, selling a shitload of beer along the way.
I'd prefer a best of UNSW.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah said:
Hmm....I think that's generalising a bit there. It also depends on the individual and the interest they take in the issues which are raised. To say that someone studying sociology will have a greater understanding of social issues on face value is a valid assumption. However, not all students studying sociology may have an interest in sociology and in fact may not even understand the issues raised. I speak firsthand from politics and policy studies courses i have done where students do not have an interest as is demonstrated by silent tutorials where yourself and one or two other ppl are the ones actively participating.
Firstly, what I said was relative to commerce students (and perhaps science students). It is a generalisation, but I said more likely. It was in response to a gross and invalid claim which I hope will balance it to a little less than what my claim was. Secondly, just because the people are silent does not mean they do not have an interest in it - after all why are they taking the course? Further even if they don't take an interest in it they will be educated in the subject area, unless they choose to do no work whatsoever.

Sarah said:
In terms of the justice in science, well it depends on the science.
Care to provide an example?

Sarah said:
Philosophy, Psychology, Human Geography are all sciences containing areas of study that are relevant to social issues.
Philosophy is not classified as a science. Hence why it is under all Arts faculties worldwide. (I might add for interest sake that psychology in fact used to be under Arts at quite a lot of institutions).

But you're losing my point with captious objections, and because of this I am straying with the required answers. The point is that Arts students are not less likely to hold valid opinions relating to social issues. That is the brunt of it.

I took a step further and suggested it is more likely that commerce students hold less valid opinions on such issues. Science students are more of a blurred constituency.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce students don't really care what happens around them, as long as they get their degree as quickly as possible, and as long as they get their graduate job. (A generalisation obviously)

It is a wonder how, at UNSW, a Commerce based core runs the current Student Guild (SRC).

is a roflcopter
HSC
actually the guild isnt runned by commerce students..?
the treasurer is, but thats an advantage. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Manchester University in the UK does that. Although they also do a male version.

MoonlightSonata: Philosophy is debateable :p eg String Theory at the moment can only be viewed as a philosophy since there is no known way (yet) to test for it :)

Also in many countries (eg the UK) Sciences are also under a Bachelor of arts.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes alrite :p

I'm not going to pursue attacking other student groups. Just defending them from unfounded claims.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I remember a while ago I emailed the SRC to ask why there weren't right wing protests, they responded by saying that it was because left wingers are in the majority. I now believe that right wingers deserve their own special scholarships, space, and representation.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I remember a while ago I emailed the SRC to ask why there weren't right wing protests, they responded by saying that it was because left wingers are in the majority. I now believe that right wingers deserve their own special scholarships, space, and representation.
Damn that reminds me the bloody Sydney SRC still hasn't refunded my fees!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Arr yes, however when only about 300 people vote in student elections at uws this year (ROFL), i'd say neither the left nor the right is participating that much.

The right wingers who do have some power around uni's i've noticed... are generally idiots (as are those on the left), maybe i'm developing that intellectual superiority thing but when one side is "OMG MORE BARS AT UnI! UP WITH VSU" and the other side is "OMG HOWARD IS A NAZI! VSU SUX0r" i have a bit of a distain for university 'politics'.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Asquithian said:
In terms of old fashioned stereotypes the right has no concern for people who are disadvanatged or fall outside of the mainstream. Therefore the right is generally all for exclusive democracy. No Matter John Howard tells you neo liberalism will always leave a group of people severly disadvantaged.

Of course this view is based on the idea that we still live in a class based society which Howard doesnt believe exists anymore :rolleyes:
Oh asquithian, the idea that capitalism only serves to create profits through exploitation of workers or one class in society etc is so marxist and old.
Update your reading material.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, i do believe that is one of the main problems with the right. That while right-wing policies (imo) generally make everyone richer, the divide between rich and poor does grow.
I believe that companies SHOULD be forced to pass on profits to the people (all people), through cheaper goods/services - OR - they should use that money to expand.

I see no reason for a company to ever have any form of 'savings', beyond what they need to meet any future/current liabilities.

They should either be forced to invest in themselves, or pass on their profits to the consumers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)