VSU Rally vs. Tuts and Lectures? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Simon Fontana's main policy drive so far as I can see is to make the union a profitable entity so that it can survive after VSU, doing so by privatising Wentworth, and cutting unnecessary services to make the union a more reasonable price for those who do want to join up.

Lauren Parsons, while she has made it clear she supports USU, also realises that the union must become a more viable entity in order to keep its members, as well as encouraging a greater cooperation with the SRC.

Marc Agnew has stated that if VSU comes in he will explore a great number of avenues in order to get enough money to fund union events without students paying excessive fees, including, as Techie has mentioned, the partial privatisation of union buildings.

Jackson Fan has targetted his campaign mostly at those in the engineering faculty, promising to make sure a more even distribution of funds to build better union facilities and provide better security on the Darlington side of campus.

And finally Ben Bartlett is pushing for a better support network for first years as well as better promotion of union and sporting events.

Most of the rest have their policies revolving around stopping VSU and providing increased representation for minority groups, and I don't think they'd appeal to you too much:p

Generator

HSC
N/A
Techie said:
It has been argued before that private outlets will be more expensive, based on the current trend where the private outlets on campus charge the most, and also the fact that these businesses will have to subsidise themselves for a 3-month period of no business annually.
Heh for a number of years a bottle of water was always ten cents cheaper from the Donut King than from a Union outlet (sausage rolls, anyone :p). That seems to have changed, though, but given that I have been reusing the same bottles for almost two months I haven't taken much notice. I do know that the Donut King store dropped its price to be closer to that of the Union, though. Then again, given that water should not be commodified in such a sense (branded, in other words), this isn't much of an argument.

Yay for the 'I'm tired but I'll continue to type' spiel.

Plebeian

I agree that if VSU comes in then the Union will definitely have to explore alternate methods of sourcing funding. However, perhaps the reason that the private outlets turn a profit is that they charge more. Marc is talking about introducing Subway and Boost Juice - but not everyone can afford to pay $8 for lunch from Subway, or $4 for a juice from Boost. Money has to come from somewhere, and complete privatisation means there is a lack of a low-cost option for those who can't afford to buy more expensive (even if it is better quality, that's not the point) private-sector food every day.

When Simon says he wants to cut unnecessary services, it might be necessary to question what sort of services a Liberal executive regards as necessary, given that the focus of his bio in Candidature was "economic responsibility". Removing funding from unprofitable but ultimately essential services like subsidised childcare is probably the sort of thing that will result.

Also, an important part of Fontana's campaign that you missed out was his drive to cut fees. In fact, according to a pamphlet I was given today, and verified with the person who gave it to me, he wants to cut the membership fee to zero! (So much for him not having a position on VSU :rolleyes: ) Instead there will be a voluntary contribution. But this is in fact even less equitable than VSU because everyone will be able to join the Union, and receive member benefits, but not everyone will be paying to support them. If membership fees are scrapped completely, and Union outlets privatised, then the Union will be forced to rely solely on the rent it charges to these businesses to run whatever essential services do remain, as well as clubs and societies and Union parties, plus the upkeep of Manning, Wentworth and Holme (the floorspace is still owned by the Union so they need to pay for maintenance).

With all these costs, they'll be forced to charge quite a lot to the private enterprises, who will likely pass the cost onto us as consumers. But perhaps more dangerous is the fact that the Union will no longer be under the control of students but forced to rely entirely on corporate money for its income, so whatever measure of independence and dedication to the welfare of students it once had will become subservient to appeasing the businesses which become its lifeline.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Fontana's idea of "unnecessary services" include the executive perks that members of the Board currently enjoy, among other more controversial things.

Rorix

HSC
withoutaface said:
Simon Fontana's main policy drive so far as I can see is to make the union a profitable entity so that it can survive after VSU, doing so by privatising Wentworth, and cutting unnecessary services to make the union a more reasonable price for those who do want to join up.

I like the cut of this fellow's jib.

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
Fontana's idea of "unnecessary services" include the executive perks that members of the Board currently enjoy, among other more controversial things.
Great! Good on him, I don't think the executive should enjoy untoward perks either. But it's the "other more controversial things" that worry me, whereas you just gloss over them.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Techie said:
I agree that if VSU comes in then the Union will definitely have to explore alternate methods of sourcing funding. However, perhaps the reason that the private outlets turn a profit is that they charge more. Marc is talking about introducing Subway and Boost Juice - but not everyone can afford to pay $8 for lunch from Subway, or $4 for a juice from Boost. Money has to come from somewhere, and complete privatisation means there is a lack of a low-cost option for those who can't afford to buy more expensive (even if it is better quality, that's not the point) private-sector food every day.
Bringing food from home isn't a low cost option?
Techie said:
When Simon says he wants to cut unnecessary services, it might be necessary to question what sort of services a Liberal executive regards as necessary, given that the focus of his bio in Candidature was "economic responsibility". Removing funding from unprofitable but ultimately essential services like subsidised childcare is probably the sort of thing that will result.
I doubt Simon is for removing subsidised childcare. He more refers to things such as the hugely expensive paintings kept in Wentworth that nobody looks at, or the also highly expensive silver spoon collection sitting in a cupboard collecting dust.
Techie said:
Also, an important part of Fontana's campaign that you missed out was his drive to cut fees. In fact, according to a pamphlet I was given today, and verified with the person who gave it to me, he wants to cut the membership fee to zero! (So much for him not having a position on VSU :rolleyes: ) Instead there will be a voluntary contribution. But this is in fact even less equitable than VSU because everyone will be able to join the Union, and receive member benefits, but not everyone will be paying to support them. If membership fees are scrapped completely, and Union outlets privatised, then the Union will be forced to rely solely on the rent it charges to these businesses to run whatever essential services do remain, as well as clubs and societies and Union parties, plus the upkeep of Manning, Wentworth and Holme (the floorspace is still owned by the Union so they need to pay for maintenance).
The membership fees work on a tiered basis, with free general membership entitling someone to little more than being able to vote in elections and sit in union buildings, silver and gold memberships would provide cheaper and free access respectively to union events, as well as cheaper clubs and socs etc.
Techie said:
With all these costs, they'll be forced to charge quite a lot to the private enterprises, who will likely pass the cost onto us as consumers. But perhaps more dangerous is the fact that the Union will no longer be under the control of students but forced to rely entirely on corporate money for its income, so whatever measure of independence and dedication to the welfare of students it once had will become subservient to appeasing the businesses which become its lifeline.
As I've said, private enterprise is perhaps not completely desirable, but the union must make compromises to maintain its essential services for members.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Oh and I saw Phanatical today when he came up to the stall we had set up on Eastern Ave.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
on the footbridge on city road, i saw some chalk writing that said "simon says"...then its rubbed out and someone wrote "vote for angus" HAHAHAHA that cracked me up

Rorix

HSC
withoutaface said:
Oh and I saw Phanatical today when he came up to the stall we had set up on Eastern Ave.

Are you campaigning for Simon? I saw one of his stalls at Eastern Avn on Wed.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rorix said:
Are you campaigning for Simon? I saw one of his stalls at Eastern Avn on Wed.
Yeah I am, won't be there tomorrow but cause I got classes all day.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
hahaha, i saw some crazy guy walking around mereweather the other day ripping down all the simon posters with this maniacal look on his face. he had long hair and a moustache and a 'STOP VSU' shirt........................... figures

HSC
if my vote was based on the amount of trees killed in the process of campaigning...then simon will win my vote hands-down.
im glad to see my union fees are being used in such an effective and efficient manner :cool:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
if my vote was based on the amount of trees killed in the process of campaigning...then simon will win my vote hands-down.
im glad to see my union fees are being used in such an effective and efficient manner :cool:
Union fees aren't funding the campaign, it's all coming out of Simon's own pocket, same with every candidate.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Nevertheless, Simon's campaign is using MUCH less paper than any of the other candidates, and I happen to know that he's using Recycled paper in an attempt to be environmentally friendly. Ironically, not even the Environment Collective uses recycled paper - and they waste a LOT of it - I remember after the SRC election last year, they had literally boxes and boxes of wasted flyers, and I thought it was incredibly ironic that I had used FAR less paper than them (and at least mine was environmentally friendly).

I think Simon is going to make an excellent representative - every other candidate has promised that they'll "improve representation at the Con", but none of them have any idea about how to do that - Simon is the first person I've met in the political circles at the Main campus who has actual ideas about how to improve representation to the Con.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)