'Wake me up when September Ends' (1 Viewer)

'Wake me up when September ends'

• Total voters

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
this song is pretty good... sad tho... I don't know why, but this song reminds me of how I only have 1 year left as a teenager.... And thats scary bcuz i dont want to be 20..... and my b'day is in september..... hence my mental connection

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Argonaut said:
It's Green Day. Green day = shit.

The whole army thing is probably them trying (and failing) to make a polotical statement, which makes it worse - music should be about music and expressing yourself. Political ideology shouldn't have anything to do with it.
yeah, politics has no place in music :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DanielleM

HSC
Dougie said:
i'm in england now, and 2 weeks ago i went to greenday at the superbowl, the biggest venue here. 70 000 ppl got in. it was the best set list i've ever heard, and wake me up when september ends was by far the best and most popular. the crowd went off, and everyone knew ever word. i've always heard greenday were good live, but they were amazing!
yeah l saw them live in sydney when they came they where absolutely amazing!

L

LaraB

Argonaut said:
It's Green Day. Green day = shit.

The whole army thing is probably them trying (and failing) to make a polotical statement, which makes it worse - music should be about music and expressing yourself. Political ideology shouldn't have anything to do with it.
part of self expression involves political views...

what exactly do you want music to be about then? men bitching that a woman won't pay attention to them? women bitching about how empowered they are? teen angst? gee... what great viewpoints :confused:

if politics had no place in music, most rock music, punk music, most gospel music, protest, folk, blues, a lot of jazz, etc etc wouldn't exist... not everyone wants to whinge about petty crap.. so what if they have a political agenda, it doesn't mean that the song won't be good as a result....

besides - the popularity of music with overt or otherwise political ideologies as a basis clearly shows that a huge amount of people don't agree....

lego

HSC
N/A
please dont use the words greenday and political in the same sentence.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Greenday jumped on the anti-Bush bandwagon because it seemed the hip thing to do at the time.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
I don't get the part where he joins the army.
I mean, what did his screaming girlfriend have to do with it. Was it because he joined the army?
Or was the man so annoyed and depressed, that he had to leave her by joining the army?
He joins because he loves his gf so much he would risk his life for her to give her the best future he can.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
This song had more to do with relationships then politics.
I think it was to show how relationships can and are being broken with the war.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Tulipa said:
and how guys get suckered into joining for fucked up reasons

then go over and get killed.

stupid damn enlisting officers. they're so goddamn persuasive
Fuck yeah, he thought he was doing something right, doing it for his gf :vcross:

L

LaraB

withoutaface said:
Greenday jumped on the anti-Bush bandwagon because it seemed the hip thing to do at the time.
have a look at their new web site andtheir old one... you'll see that that's simply not true...

they've been 'politically active', if that's the right word for it, for ages... listen to the words of their old songs - they're not as superficial as most people think, they do have meaning behind em..

they're big in other organisations - they're not simply 'anti-bush'... there's this homeless shelter type program they're really into, they've done stuff for amnesty, part of the "one" organisation which is similar to all those other anti poverty organisations and stuff...

just coz someone's anti-bush doens't mean they're some idiot who's doing it coz its in the in thing to do... its more than likely that a large number of people who are are so because they disagree with his policies not just coz its the latest trend.... besides - no one can speak for em so its wrong to say they simply did it coz it was the 'hip' thing to do...

i just think the amount of organisations they're involved in and advocate for and that they make such a big thing outa being not the typical capitalist american and always have done kinda shows that they're not morons who are just joining everyone else coz its the 'done thing'.:)

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
http://www.greendayauthority.com/TheBand/songmeanings.shtml#AmericanIdiot

WAKE ME UP WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS
JOS is alone again. Lost his friends, the only girl he ever loved, he's out of home, out of job, and back where he started, sad and alone on the streets. He describes himself as innocent, or at least he was, and he just didn't last. They broke him down, and he's just dead inside. This is also, on a more personal note, a side song about Billie Joe's late father, who died years ago (September 1982), when Billie Joe was 10. Both explanations apply.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LaraB said:
have a look at their new web site andtheir old one... you'll see that that's simply not true...

they've been 'politically active', if that's the right word for it, for ages... listen to the words of their old songs - they're not as superficial as most people think, they do have meaning behind em..

they're big in other organisations - they're not simply 'anti-bush'... there's this homeless shelter type program they're really into, they've done stuff for amnesty, part of the "one" organisation which is similar to all those other anti poverty organisations and stuff...

just coz someone's anti-bush doens't mean they're some idiot who's doing it coz its in the in thing to do... its more than likely that a large number of people who are are so because they disagree with his policies not just coz its the latest trend.... besides - no one can speak for em so its wrong to say they simply did it coz it was the 'hip' thing to do...

i just think the amount of organisations they're involved in and advocate for and that they make such a big thing outa being not the typical capitalist american and always have done kinda shows that they're not morons who are just joining everyone else coz its the 'done thing'.:)
Hahaha ONE. If anyone had half a brain they'd see that ONE and all that Live 8 crap won't do shit for Africa because removing debt removes accountability, and removing accountability from already corrupt governments is never a good idea.

L

LaraB

withoutaface said:
Hahaha ONE. If anyone had half a brain they'd see that ONE and all that Live 8 crap won't do shit for Africa because removing debt removes accountability, and removing accountability from already corrupt governments is never a good idea.
i never said i thought they were useful...

that's totally irrelevant to the point i was making...

besides - awareness won't fix the problem but the fact that you've raised it shows its achieved the aim of increasing awareness of the problem - if no one knows its exists its never gonna be fixed because it isn't acknowledged that it exists. People need to b e aware of the problem to begin donating money and volunteering for stuff and lobbying governments etc....

ps - one and live8 aren't only about africa.... :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)