• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Want to take drugs? Teen guide 'shows how' (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
FFS, stupid do gooders are at it again.
HEALTH and education authorities have been accused of promoting illegal drugs - including ecstasy, cannabis and methamphetamines - to high school students.

A controversial teaching resource produced by Sydney West Area Health Service advises students on what to do if they "choose to experiment".

The booklet headed "Choosing to use ... but wanna keep your head together?" is aimed at students in Year 9 and Year 10.

Inside, the booklet suggests young people should not experiment until they are over 18, know their family medical history and "use only small amounts and not too often".

Students targeted by the booklet claimed yesterday it encouraged them to try drugs. One mum, whose 15-year-old daughter attends Seven Hills High School in Sydney's west, said the booklet sent the wrong message to students.
No it isn't. It's not encouraging drug use; it's being realistic about the fact that regardless of education measures, teenagers are going to experiment. It's a known fact they will, so why not educate them on the correct methods and attempt to minimise the harm.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23874516-421,00.html

kokodamonkey

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Realistically they should teach children how to make their own drugs!
You know what, i must say that once in a while you actually do make an intelligent comment.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
They should make another booklet that ackowledges the dropkick teenagers who are going to OD and end up living in a box on the side of the road anyway despite advice. "So you've decided to ruin your life". It'll give tips on where to go for the best stuff, interviews with dealers and pimps, how to run from the cops, what to do if your flat gets raided, obtaining firearms, etc etc.

to answer the original post I think it's a good idea in theory, we'll have to see how well it works out.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
I remember learning more about sex than drugs at school.

...Ah I miss public government schools, and I blame them for making me get 30 for my UAI.:)

Zrap

glock9
HSC
LOL could you imagine teachers teaching students how to pack cones small,
pull a cone safely, etc etc. Oh the lolz.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If you smoke pot once you automatically become a bum who does nothing, but, if you're clever and don't inhale you could become president of the united states.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Zrap said:
LOL could you imagine teachers teaching students how to pack cones small,
pull a cone safely, etc etc. Oh the lolz.
I wish they'd taught us how to roll a joint good, would have saved us some time and effort.

boris

Banned
HSC
I mean seriously, it isn't as though they've got diagrams will how to shoot up properly.

boris

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
This is pretty much identical to preaching abstinence then refusing to explain safe sex :D
EGGSACTLY

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
People get all moral-panicky about it because ohmygod if we teach kids how to use drugs safely they'll become drug addictsohmygod someone think of the children children are our future abuse bla bla.

I wouldn't want my kids experimenting with illicit drugs but I'd rather they did it having been informed than ignorant and overdosing because they don't know about safe amounts.

boris

Banned
HSC
loal it's like when gardisal came out

everybody was like LOL NO MY 14 YEAR OLD CANNOT BE VACCINATED AGAINST CERVICAL CANCER, SHE MIGHT GO AND HAVE SEX

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
boris said:
loal it's like when gardisal came out

everybody was like LOL NO MY 14 YEAR OLD CANNOT BE VACCINATED AGAINST CERVICAL CANCER, SHE MIGHT GO AND HAVE SEX
lol my mum practically had to shove my little sister into the doctor's office and get her jabbed. (she's a virginal 15yr old). Some parents are just retarded (hint: it's for cervical cancer, it's not a contraceptive)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
People that experiment with drugs are stupid and are hence more inclined to misintrepret messages given to them by the government as being endorsement for the use of drugs. I think this is where the problem arises.

"If the government knows we're doing it and they're not doing all that much to stop us then it mustn't be too bad for us to try"

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
JaredR said:
People that experiment with drugs are stupid and are hence more inclined to misintrepret messages given to them by the government as being endorsement for the use of drugs. I think this is where the problem arises.

"If the government knows we're doing it and they're not doing all that much to stop us then it mustn't be too bad for us to try"
Well a lot of doctors & teachers & lawyers & ... have experimented with drugs, so...

Plus the sort of people you're referring to (who you obviously know nothing about) are more likely to completely ignore messages given to them by the government in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)