Wanting to get a Used Car (penrith Area) (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
Hi Everyone,
I just got my red p plates today, so now i am on the look out for a car for myself, willing to spend upto 5 thousand but not reallu sure of where to start i.e which dealerships or brand/models of cars......... does anyone know of any good dealerships in the penrith area and also in general some cars that are usually found for around 5K

oh yeh i know there is another thread about cars for 5K....but tht thread is crap

jcurry

HSC
dont buy from a dealer, those cars are usually overpriced by way

some cars in your price range are- toyota celicas, hyundai excels,mitsibushi lancers, commoders (vt's etc), honda preludes, holden barinas, toyota starlet(i think thats it), toyota corallas
thats all i can think of off the top of my head

just go to www.carsales.com.au and just put your price range in and there will be heaps of cars you can look over
also congrats on your p's

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
Are you after coupe? Hatch? Sedan? Do you care about performance or just economy? What are some cars you've seen that you've liked? Need more info!
I'd steer clear of dealers personally but if you want to go that path for whatever reason you'll only be losing out on a few grand.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
get a hack job bagged ute. cheap as chips for like 5g

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
hey everyone
well i like the look of the hatchback nissan pulsars and the older lancers..............................umm i feel that a dealership would be a safer option and my driving instructor said he knows the manager of a delaership so he said we wont get ripped of so i guess that helps a lot

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Buy privately.

I've just got my P's, and have exactly the same to spend as you. The most reliable, solid, latest model, lowest mileage car for that money is the Mazda 121. A Toyota Starlet is also fine. Not a cool car though.

A Corolla would be better, but you're looking at an older toyota for the money.

Lancer Gli coupe is nice looking car for the money.

Camry for a larger car.

Mazda Mx6 V6/Ford Probe for a sportier ride.

MysticalElement said:
umm i feel that a dealership would be a safer option and my driving instructor said he knows the manager of a delaership so he said we wont get ripped of so i guess that helps a lot
What a con. You should only ever buy from a dealership if time is limited or you have enough cash not to care. Get an inspection on your private purchase and you'll be sweet.

Last edited:

callol

Banned
HSC
if you buy a used car from a dealership then you're a fucking idiot.

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
lmao my instructor aint a con he's been teaching me since i started...... anywaysi always thought those private sellers would be scammers and that stuff always stuff up with them, but like how would i get that inspection....that'll cost a bit too...:S

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
LMAO yourself, buying used cars from a dealership is fucking retarded.

jessyy

HSC
you can buy my car, special price of 5k just because ull have to travel to get it.

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
hey reply to my email, which you may have anyway, but i cant check it cause im at work. just reminding you cause i know ull look in this thread you car fiend.
oh hai hunnybuns. haven't got your email as me and school friends are having an epic xbox lan and i only have my lappy with me.
i assume it's re: a potential d8? i'm out looking at cars all day weds :( what other days do you have off?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
this is the first time i've seen a bump used on bos...
just fucking look an buy a car.
why are there so many dumbass's

if you want a little runnabout which is average, by my little car.
$1500. 97 daewoo cielo, 4dr, manual, pwr steer, air con. 130,xxxkm
rego till jan next yr

wagga

HSC
Just to add to the general consensus here, basically there are two types of used dealers - dealers that also sell new cars, where all the used cars on the lot will be trade ins - the problem with these is that noobs come here, and thus the cars, although generally fairly clean, are overpriced massively. The second kind is your dodgy brothers Parramatta rd style dealer. They buy their cars from wholesalers, who in turn buy them from dealers, who will sell off trade ins with serious mechanical issues etc. Thus, their only purpose is to disguise faults in these cars and sell them onto unwary customers - if the price looks good, there is a reason for that...when I was looking for my first car, at one Parramatta Rd dealer I was looking at a car which was exactly what I wanted...until I checked the 'full' service history, and noticed the VIN number on this service history did not match the VIN number of the actual car. Oddly enough, they then managed to 'find' the actual service history for the car, which was missing 3 services from it...

Essentially, by far your best shot is to buy privately, just make sure to do a REVS check and a full mechanical check, and if the service history is incomplete, walk away, no questions asked. There are too many cars out there for it to be worth you wasting your time on one without a complete service history. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of a warranty you will get from a dealer, these generally (especially when from the second kind of dealers I mentioned) aren't worth the paper they are written on.

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
oh ok thanks to guy above but umm how much do those inspections cost..on average..?

thanks

wagga

HSC
MysticalElement said:
oh ok thanks to guy above but umm how much do those inspections cost..on average..?

thanks
Shouldn't set you back more than $100 (just find an independent mechanic - i.e. not at a dealer), the REVS check is free (google the website), but you have to buy a certificate which proves the car has no debts outstanding on it to give you legal protection; from memory that is about $15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)